bob54

Over-haul and smoking

bob54

Larson 5.5 hp,  new rings,  ground and lapped the valves,  cylinder with in specs and not out of round.  I am getting white smoke from exhaust, while it is running.  Will it do this until it's broken in or is something else wrong?

Achto

6 minutes ago, bob54 said:

Larson 5.5 hp,  new rings,  ground and lapped the valves,  cylinder with in specs and not out of round.  I am getting white smoke from exhaust, while it is running.  Will it do this until it's broken in or is something else wrong?

Did you deglaze the cylinder before installing the new rings?

• Like 2

rmaynard

:text-yeahthat: Rings take time to break in, but if you didn't de-glaze the cylinder, they may never properly break in.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

bob54

Yes deglazed the cylinder

• Like 1

rmaynard

Did you check the ring end-gaps and stagger the gaps?

• Like 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, bob54 said:

Yes deglazed the cylinder

No disrespect, just needed to know. White smoke seems to be an odd color from a air cooled engine. Probably some oil burn off yet. If no one mentions anything that you might have forgotten, then I would run the engine and get it broke in, the smoking should stop. Remember to keep your RPM's up, this is better for engines with no oil pump during break in.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Also, most rings have an "UP" side. Installing incorrectly will cause oil burning.

• Like 2

bob54

Yes and yes,   but I feel like I missed something.  Hoping it just needs broken in

• Like 1

953 nut

If you are like most of us you oiled up all of the parts as you assembled the engine. It can take a while for all of that oil to burn off. As achto said, keep the RPMs up, this is a splash lubricated engine.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

kind of sounds to me like scraper ring was installed upside down

Achto
2 hours ago, bob54 said:

I am getting white smoke from exhaust, while it is running.

The white smoke still has me puzzled. How long has the engine ran since the rebuild? If it has run for more than 15 to 20 min, any assembly lube should be burned off. The only time I've seen white smoke from an air cooled engine is when the gas was contaminated with diesel.

bob54

i didn't know about keeping the rpm's up so thanks,  Scraper ring, I am not sure, no marking on the rings so I installed with the notch down on the outside,  I think it has run about 15 min and the smoke doesn't seem to be getting any less.  If the scraper is on upside down do I need to replace it r can I just flip it and reuse it

bob54

Well I feel stupid now,,,,carb was dumping fuel into the oil,,,,problem solved.   Thanks everyone

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, bob54 said:

Well I feel stupid now,,,,carb was dumping fuel into the oil,,,,problem solved.   Thanks everyone

Glad you found the issue & didn't have to tear the engine down again. :)

• Like 2

Pulling Mower Builder
On 2/17/2017 at 11:19 AM, rmaynard said:

:text-yeahthat: Rings take time to break in, but if you didn't de-glaze the cylinder, they may never properly break in.:twocents-02cents:

They will never break in at all