Blasterdad

Has anyone seen this...?

Blasterdad

When I went to "kick the tires" on another C-81 I bought recently, I noticed the LR axle seal was leaking.

Not a big deal I thought, seal is easy enough to replace...

Then I noticed the RR had a "cover" over the axle & the LR didn't.

Spent Tuesday getting it running & going for a ride,(different thread).

After my test ride which went great, I backed it into the shop & noticed the LR hub was now tight against the transmission housing.

My first thought was the axle had come loose inside the tranny, so tonight's task was to investigate what was going on...

Jacked up the rear end & checked the in/out play on the RR, within spec, okay.

(keep in mind i'm behind the tractor while doing this) :rolleyes:

Went to check the LR & about pushed the wheel all the way off the axle, :laughing-rofl: 

It appears the set screws were loose & "well lubed" from the seal leaking. :P

I also noticed the LR hub has 2 set screws & the RR has 1... Different hub maybe..??? :confusion-shrug:

So I guess my questions are...

1. What is the "cover" thing on the axle, none of my other C series has them.

2. Why does the LR hub have 2 set screws?

Pic #1 & 2. My '78 C-81, one set screw. No axle "covers".

58a66944530c8_axles001.thumb.JPG.5ca13962fc2d804584d65086cd075b60.JPG58a66973efdd0_axles002.thumb.JPG.ebf39adaf735d64c3df3031e48f1eefd.JPG 

Pic #3. New tractor, '79 C-81 with "cover" on axle, one set screw.58a66a6ce7718_axles003.thumb.JPG.319de56abcdfa48519bb27df354666ee.JPG

Pic #4. LR no "cover" two set screws.

58a66cbe1e4ad_axles004.thumb.JPG.8d63e4f6231fa849804e09fc9c2704d7.JPG

Pic #5. How it looked when I noticed something "wrong".58a66d657cd26_axles005.thumb.JPG.cbd883d8413eb27a608bb3ee041f6eb1.JPG

Pic #6. LR In/out play test result. Whoa Nellie! :laughing-rolling:

58a66e789a695_axles006.thumb.JPG.ef7d1b23aafc98fa620ad65097899328.JPG

I'm just thankful this didn't happen on my test drive!!!

At least I won't have any trouble getting the hub off to replace the seal...:laughing-rolling:

• Like 3

JAinVA

From looking at what you posted the right axle may have been moving around so to keep it from contacting the housing someone put a spacer on the axle.Not a standard item.The left axle hub may have been installed to replace a bad hub.It obviously is not tight on the axle.Replace the seals and clean the axles and hubs.Reinstall the hubs with Loctite and new screws like what can be sourced from McMaster Carr.Keep an eye out for hub migration.These machines have some age obviously and have been rigged by previuos owners to get one more season out of them.This is not a new thing if you have any experience with antique tractors.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

Some  hubs only have one and some will have two set screws.  When I have a hub off, I always add a second set screw 90 degrees from the first.

Like Jim said, use the hardened square head cup point set screws with a locking nut.

94087a114p1-steel-b01l.png?ver=1447762711

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

Blasterdad

From looking at what you posted the right axle may have been moving around so to keep it from contacting the housing someone put a spacer on the axle.Not a standard item.

Well upon removal, & cleaning of both hubs it appears the RR hub has never been off.

This leads me to believe it's factory, very well machined hard rubber/plastic with matching factory paint...???