Wheelman817

A little advice for a newbie

Wheelman817

Hello everyone. I'm new here and looking for a little advice from some knowledgeable folks. I recently found a 1988 520h with 600 hrs in immaculate condition. It comes with a brand new, never used, 48 inch sd deck, 48 inch 2 stage snow blower in like new condition, a 55 inch dozer blade in excellent condition, tire chains, wheel weights for front and rear, a counter weight, and some extra little parts like gas caps and such. The guy is asking $3600 or best offer. Everything about the equipment is in immaculate cosmetic condition. Just curious to see if anyone thinks this would be a good buy or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Like 5

smoreau

Sounds like a dream come true. With what you described what are you waiting for?

• Like 1

Dan Hankins

Look at what new junk from a big box store cost. You might get 5 years out of one if your lucky. A horse will last a lifetime.

• Like 3

Wheelman817

Just wasn't sure if that was a good price for a machine that's 29 years old or not. Also not sure about the Onan engine as I've heard good and bad about it

smoreau

If the tractor condition is in as good as you say, it sounds like it was well taken care of. So maintenance was most likely done when needed and the owner took pride in his stuff! These are the tractors that bring more money and are sought  after in my opinion. You could make your money back no problem in you don't like it.

• Like 3

Wheelman817

Thank you gentlemen for your advice and opinions. It's greatly appreciated and I believe I'm going to make the purchase. I'll be sure to post some pics and describe her in detail

• Like 1

smoreau
11 minutes ago, Wheelman817 said:

Just wasn't sure if that was a good price for a machine that's 29 years old or not. Also not sure about the Onan engine as I've heard good and bad about it

I have a 74 C160 I know will out last any box store tractor! And its already 43 years old!

• Like 4

benji756

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:banana-dreads::rs:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

If everything is immaculate, in brand new condition...

what was the tractor doing for 600 hours?  :scratchead:

:WRS:

• Like 3

clueless
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

If everything is immaculate, in brand new condition...

what was the tractor doing for 600 hours?  :scratchead:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

953 nut
26 minutes ago, Wheelman817 said:

wasn't sure if that was a good price for a machine that's 29 years old or not.

It has been used about twenty hours a year on average and very well cared for, you could look for years and not find another for that money as nice. Go get it.

• Like 1

roadapples

• Like 2

Wheelman817

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the forum and the advice. Trying to get a hold of the guy at this very moment!!!

• Like 1

rmaynard

I would ask for the service records if they are available. Make sure that the engine cooling fins have been kept clean and free of grass and debris. The major problem with the Onan 20 HP engine is lack of cleaning in regards to the rear cylinder fins and tins leading to overheating and burning of the valve seats.

• Like 2

BaySide1
59 minutes ago, Wheelman817 said:

sent pm.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

AMC RULES
9 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I would ask for the service records if they are available. Make sure that the engine cooling fins have been kept clean and free of grass and debris. The major problem with the Onan 20 HP engine is lack of cleaning in regards to the rear cylinder fins and tins leading to overheating and burning of the valve seats.

:text-yeahthat: Because you know...with 600hrs showing...   :handgestures-thumbsup:

it's past due for a head decarb, and valve job...times two. 

• Like 1

Wheelman817

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely look into that

maxiblue

Well goes my two cents, a used good wheel horse tractor does hold there price. Wheel horse tractor need to be looked at as a working tractor like full size tractors but smaller and that's because they are built well. They are not like MTD throw away tin lawn mowers from home depot. I myself got to under stand that In the pass few years of the different wheel horse tractor I have seen.

• Like 1

T-Mo

Onans are commercial grade engines, and very good ones at that.  But they do have their quirks, and parts can be pricey.  Onan is now owned by Cummins.  Onans appeared in Case garden tractors, as well as Sears GTs in 1970s, and possibly a few other manufacturers.  In the '80s, John Deere started using them in their 316, 318, and 420 garden tractors.  Cub Cadet has used them, as well as Wheel Horse.  I don't know all manufacturers who used Onans, but they're good engines, and in the case of the John Deere 318, which was first introduced in 1983, the Onan B43 was used and a lot of those 318s with the original engines are still working today.

• Like 2

Sparky

I'm going to be the wet blanket here....but I think $3600 is a bit steep. The '88 520's don't have the swept axle and are not as sought after nor worth what the swept axle models are. Are you sure about the snow-plow size? The biggest offered with a 520 was 48" unless someone made their own.

My method of pricing out tractor packages is to assign a value to each piece. Here's what I came up with...keep in mind I have not seen pictures nor spoke to the owner to get the "story" on this tractor, only going by what you posted.

Bare "straight axle" 520-H        --- $600

48"deck                                    ----$500

Blower                                     -----$600

Plow w/axle bracket  -- (55"??)   --$300

Chains                                       ---$60

Weights (rear, plastic)              ----$80

Weights (front, plastic)              ---$60

That's puts the package at $2200...if the weights are all official WH cast iron weights and not plastic the package is closer to $2400. If the guy has records (proof) of any services it has had AND is the original owner I think that ups the value as well. He does state "Or Best offer" so I would start with an offer of $2500.

Just my opinion....Mike.......

• Like 7

T-Mo

I usually keep out of "what's the value" type discussions, as not all things are equal.  Value depends on condition, location, time of year, how much a buyer wants it, how bad a seller wants to sell, etc.  600 hours for a 29 year old machine isn't too realistic, unless the hour meter was disconnected, nor working, or just wasn't used that much.  With the implements like the blade and blower, plus a deck,that, to me, would indicate that quite possibly the tractor was in used most of the year, which then would mean a lot more hours per year.  Of course, the owner could have had another machine or two, and I'm not saying 600 hours isn't true, but does push the realm of realism a bit.

I know I wouldn't pay that much for that package, but then again, as I said part of a tractor's value depends on how much a buyer wants it, and I just wouldn't want it at that price.  Just my 2 cents worth, here, so it may not be worth much, especially if you really want this package deal.

• Like 2

lynnmor

Take your tape measure with you, I'll bet that the plow and snow blower don't measure up.  Then one has to wonder what else is not quite right.

• Like 1

rmaynard

From the pictures that the seller posted, I see at least one other Wheel Horse. So the accessories may not be original to that tractor. The 520-H does look very clean and garage kept, but I would like to know the history behind the 600 hour meter. That 600 hour meter would equate to the clean machine pictured, but if he used the tractor to mow once a week during a 5 month typical Pittsburgh area summer, that would suggest that he put on about 20 hours per summer, times 29 years, equals 580 hours. He has a brand new deck, so did he wear out the original? That wouldn't make sense considering how well the 520-H was maintained. Also, with a snow thrower and a snow blade, how many winter hours did he use? The blade is not shown, but the blower look like it had very little uses. 

As I said before, see if you can get the history. Since he is selling with a "best offer", ask him if there is an offer on the table.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Wheelman817 :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

Keep us posted about your possible purchase!

• Like 2