Richard Stoots

702/854 Hoods

Richard Stoots

What is difference in 702 and 854 hoods?  I have both and only 1 hood and it looks like it will fit both?

stevasaurus

For one thing, they are different part numbers...#4415 for the 702...#4986 for the 854.  The difference...the 854 hood is 1" longer.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Richard Stoots

Can you provide the measurement and the measurement points so I can determine which I have.  It seem to fit the 702 and I don't have a fuel tank on the 854 so couldn't try it.

Chris G

I believe the 702 is 15 1/8 and the 854 is 16 1/8. That's from gas tank to front seem I believe. The difference in length is for clearance of the air cleaner on the 854.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I have a 702...from the gas tank to the top seam is 15 1/8".  See if that is where the 1" is.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Chris and I typed at the same time.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

neil

As a matter of curiousity , can you change the size of the air filter housing for the shorter round hood to fit the 854 only I have an 854 without hood but have a spare 653 hood that I would like to use on the 854 

953 nut

:think:     Would the elbow from a GT-14 provide enough clearance?

post-6866-0-39065000-1409786788_thumb.jp

bmsgaffer
6 hours ago, neil said:

As a matter of curiousity , can you change the size of the air filter housing for the shorter round hood to fit the 854 only I have an 854 without hood but have a spare 653 hood that I would like to use on the 854 

Yes that is a mod that i have seen a few people with 854's make out of desperation when they cant find a good hood.

I personally of working it too hard with the small filter, as I assume they made the air cleaner bigger for a reason, but maybe the air filters in the 60's had less flow than they do now... And if you dont plan on really working it then there should be no troubles. 

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

Richard Stoots

The hood measures out to 15 1/8" so it goes on the 702.   Thanks again to all for your help.

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

or you can run the k90-k161 airfilter assembly

Chris G
On 2/16/2017 at 6:26 AM, 953 nut said:

:think:     Would the elbow from a GT-14 provide enough clearance?

post-6866-0-39065000-1409786788_thumb.jp

I never thought of that. But I think you may have solved a problem for my rat 702 build!

• Like 2