slim67

#5010 side cover bolts

slim67

Does anyone know if you can use 5/16 x 3/4 inch as opposed to the 5/16 x 1/2 inch long for the side covers? I wanted to use lock washers and just think the extra 1/4 inch would help. Or would it hit any moving parts? Also is the filler thread hole on top NPT thread? Neither a 1/2-13 or 1/2-20 tap compare. I am getting ready to assemble trans and chased all the holes except this one is the oddball and ill have to find an NPT tap or find a different plug.

WHX??

I don't think it would be a problem but check it with a depth gauge of some kind to be sure. Yes that top plug is NPT...  1/4 if I remember correct

slim67
11 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

I don't think it would be a problem but check it with a depth gauge of some kind to be sure. Yes that top plug is NPT...  1/4 if I remember correct

I would feel better with the longer bolts if possible to use. thanks

• Like 1

Racinbob

Some of the parts list show 5/8" with lock washers and some show 1/2" with no washers. I used stainless 5/8" with lock washers but I'm with Jim on 3/4" probably being fine as long as you verify the depth first like he said. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

What Bob said is correct...5/8" with lock washers and 1/2" without.  3/4" will maybe work all the way around, but there is 1 or 2 (around the bottom of the 11/44 toothed gear) that I would pay special attention to.  You will see the problem areas as you put it together.  There is not a lot of room, and these gears do move around in the 3 piece transmissions.  Like Jim said, and awl works for checking depth.  :)

Slim, fill the trans with 90 wt oil through the 3/8" bolt holes that the seat and spring bolt into...until the oil starts to seep out the fill plug on the side of the trans behind the rear axle...I think on the left side.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

slim67

OK guys thanks. Steve is the thread for the fill plug a 1/2-14 NPT? I also have to get a new 1/4-20 x 3/4 inch dog point set screw for the shifter then im ready to rock. I made gaskets yesterday and have weight ontop them to flatten them out then I hope to assemble in the next day or two. I will be returning to work after surgery so I am trying to use my time for this project as much as possible. Your videos have been very helpful Steve.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I had to verify this morining and, as Jim said, the fill plug is 1/4"-18 NPT. You can also fill it through the shifter hole. :)

• Like 1

WHX??

Not to steal your thread Slim but do you still have an abundance of those dog points Bob? I need one and the only place I can find them is McMaster and I have to buy ten of them. Not that I wouldn't mind having a few on the shelf but ten? But then again maybe just replacing them on a regular basis ain't a bad idea?  Looks like I will be needing that dash if the offer is still on the table.

Back to your thread Slim be careful on tightening those case bolts as we have seen them broke off on the inside. I'm guessing from over tightening Steve?

• Like 1

slim67
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I had to verify this morining and, as Jim said, the fill plug is 1/4"-18 NPT. You can also fill it through the shifter hole. :)

Ok that helps as the thread pitch gauge wasnt showing a match. But now I know thank you. 

2 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Not to steal your thread Slim but do you still have an abundance of those dog points Bob? I need one and the only place I can find them is McMaster and I have to buy ten of them. Not that I wouldn't mind having a few on the shelf but ten? But then again maybe just replacing them on a regular basis ain't a bad idea?  Looks like I will be needing that dash if the offer is still on the table.

Back to your thread Slim be careful on tightening those case bolts as we have seen them broke off on the inside. I'm guessing from over tightening Steve?

No problem at all WHX9, I am finding the same problem as you are in buying a single piece. I havent tried my local fastenal but they sometimes have the same requirements. I wish I could hace saved that one but am fortunate that I got it out.

Jake Kuhn

Little late to this thread, but just saw it. I tried using the 5/16x 3/4 bolts on the first 3 piece transmission I redid and they hit on something and caused it to lock up. 

• Like 2

slim67
1 hour ago, Jake Kuhn said:

Little late to this thread, but just saw it. I tried using the 5/16x 3/4 bolts on the first 3 piece transmission I redid and they hit on something and caused it to lock up. 

Better late than never Jake on this one. Thank you for passing that along. I will install new 1/2 inch long bolts instead  like original. Do you think it would hurt to use Locktite?

• Like 1

Racinbob

Mushroom gear Jake?

Slim, I Loctite PST 592 thread sealant. The lower bolts like to seep a little oil. :)

• Like 1

slim67
57 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Mushroom gear Jake?

Slim, I Loctite PST 592 thread sealant. The lower bolts like to seep a little oil. :)

Thanks Bob. 

stevasaurus

Yep, it would be the mushroom gear.  :)

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Yep...that would of been the mushroom gear. And that was my main problem with the first transmission I rebuilt. Got it together and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Pulled it apart a couple times and couldn't figure it out.  Turned out to be that simple!:)

• Like 1

slim67
29 minutes ago, Jake Kuhn said:

Yep...that would of been the mushroom gear. And that was my main problem with the first transmission I rebuilt. Got it together and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Pulled it apart a couple times and couldn't figure it out.  Turned out to be that simple!:)

That will save me a lot of trouble just sorry to hear you had to go thru that.:no: