Sign in to follow this  
landsurveyor

Fuel (Gas) pump rebuild

landsurveyor

Hi Everyone,

Just bought my first horse (Charger 12) and am trying to get it to run again after 15 years of being sat in a shed!

Am having some problems with the fuel pump on the engine (Kohler K301 12HP).

Anyone have any advice or a web link on rebuilding the fuel pump, I have have taken it apart and there is no obvious problem with it but it will not pump fuel?

:thumbs:

bitten

landsurveyor

First off :thumbs:

I would try to find the service manual for that Kohler and see if they touch on it there. Or I would see if there is a rebuiled kit for it and put it back together as you took it apart, cant be that hard.

Good Luck,

P.J.

KyBlue

I beleive you can pull it apart and clean it. There once was a Rebuild kit, but anymore, they just sell new plastic Pumps... there are check valves inside IIRC that will stick. Other than that, check ebay for a used one, or a rebuild kit.

Buzz

Here's your manual, it should help:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

If you can't get it to work and don't want to replace it with one of the plastic ones, you could install an electric fuel pump made for small engines. Available at most auto parts stores for around $40.00.

Jman6

Landsurveyor, I feel for ya!

I bought a 312-8 that had been sitting for 2 years without running. Guy I bought it from told me he was pretty sure it was the fuel pump was why it was not running.

Got it hom and in the garage and find the guy had not put the other bolt back on the fuel pump. So I took the fuel line off, it was clogged, when I put the air compressor on it no air would come through. Put a new fuel line on, had about 10 feet of extra tubing so it was easy. Got another bolt to put the fuel pump back on and drained the tank, changed the oil and since the fuel pump was off took it completely apart. Took the air compressor to both the in and out fuel nozzles on the pump sprayed carb cleaner in the fuel pump and took it apart and sprayed all the pieces. There was rust in there or gunk too. After it was all taken apart cleaned everything I could think of that could be cleaned!

Then I got it all back together and turned the key, after buying a new battery, since the old one was dead, and it started right up! Been running great ever since.

Biggest thing on mine was making sure that the gasket inside the fuel pump was on correctly, there was a set way that mine went on.

Hope that this helps, if not hope you can find a new one cheap! :thumbs:

Jman

landsurveyor

Thanks for all your help guys, I will try and take it apart again and re-clean it.

If not looks like its a new one needed, parts are very hard to buy in England, but am determined to get it running again.

Thanks for all your friendly help.

:thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Land surveyer...

:whistle: :whistle:

We have at least 2 members in the UK and a few others in Europe so they may have some ideas in terms of parts sources.

In any case, you might bypass the pump for the time being so you can test the test of the engine.

As already suggested, an electric fuel pump is a very easy option as you can get it at any auto parts store.

Best of luck :dunno: :thumbs: