WHX??

1067 Refresh & Mods.

WHX??

So these are the engine issues that got me thinking if this is worth sinking time and money in. If I remember right the galled head threads were like that when I replaced the rod in the mid 90's. never had a problem with a blown gasket or leaks.  The crack I don't think was there and it does appear to just down to the first fin.  I did have to drill and tap the furthest back head toward the S/G to he next larger size, stripped out. Bore gauges I ordered must be on the slow boat.

20170327_165840[1].jpg

20170327_165758[1].jpg

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 hour ago, WHX9 said:

So these are the engine issues that got me thinking if this is worth sinking time and money in. If I remember right the galled head threads were like that when I replaced the rod in the mid 90's. never had a problem with a blown gasket or leaks.  The crack I don't think was there and it does appear to just down to the first fin.  I did have to drill and tap the furthest back head toward the S/G to he next larger size, stripped out. Bore gauges I ordered must be on the slow boat.

20170327_165840[1].jpg

20170327_165758[1].jpg

looks to me like its time for another block

WHX??

I dunno Mower Freak, I was thinking button her back up and run her like I stole her?!?! What have I got to lose but the price of a gasket set? It ran with like that for years and ther was a couple of times I mowed with it and was not very kind to it (brush hogging and really long grass in the heat of the day @ a very full 3600)! 

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 5

Elkskin's mower junkyard
35 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

I dunno Mower Freak, I was thinking button her back up and run her like I stole her?!?! What have I got to lose but the price of a gasket set? It ran with like that for years and ther was a couple of times I mowed with it and was not very kind to it (brush hogging and really long grass in the heat of the day @ a very full 3600)! 

with that crack i wouldnt trust it

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX9 said:

I was thinking button her back up and run her like I stole her?!?! What have I got to lose but the price of a gasket set?

I would agree Jim. If the bore is not too far out I would run a ball hone down the cylinder, chuck a new set of rings in, and put it back together. After market rering kits are fairly cheap. You can always be on the look out for another engine to rebuild and have ready if something happens to this one.

I would not how ever work with this block if it needs to have machining done to it, like over boring. I don't think it would be worth sticking that kind of coin into. I'm kinda wondering if the head bolts were over torqued at one time to cause the damage around the bolt holes. :think:Could also have been a casting issue, like a bad mix at the foundry.

• Like 3

WHX??

You are right @craftsmanmowerfreak but since I'm not flying this thing at 33,000 feet, going on an interstate trip or looking to win grand nationals pulls I see no harm in it, So at the sound advice of others that forgot way more about K series builds than I she is gonna get put back together as is and the proverbial devil is gonna run her hard. I have faith in our grand dads's steel. Sides I know other guys who have blown their motor (not to mention names) at a plow day and it was a heck of alot of fun! Plenty of other K blocks out there available as well. Keep y'all posted!:lol:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Jim, I finally got around to it those Ags look good to me on this setup, Jeff.

• Like 1

JPWH

Awesome build Jim. I may try the bushings on my next one. I had to make new pieces for my 854 so I welded and redrilled the rest. Bushings look like less work.

Jay

• Like 1

WHX??

They really are Hank, my school of thought since they (the bushings) are a softer material they will wear and can be alot more easily replaced than a 60 year old link or lift arm. 

• Like 3

WHX??

Little up date here as it's starting to look more like a tractor. Having problems getting the hood fitted up, almost like the wrong hood. More on that later.... saving it for last!  I need to quit wrangling other horses as they take time away from this. Let me know what you think of the engine colors contrast good or bad.  I am just kinda winging it as I go. S/G is going to be black as well.

20170424_092832[1].jpg

20170423_131217[1].jpeg

20170415_115216[1].jpg

20170424_092705[1].jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

I give it 2 thumbs up!

• Like 1

Achto

I like it a lot!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JPWH

I like the whole package! Looks great!

• Like 2

953 nut

Much like the black frame on Aldon's GT-16 it is a signature touch to YOUR :wh:. I like it and may do some contrasting color on one of mine.

• Like 3

rjg854

I like the contrasting colors, really sets it off. With everything being red it becomes too much. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Thanks guys.....just remind me to never again a custom! I almost wish I would have done a black tranny like @Aldon's or a black frame rails like Hanks custom. It is what it is now at this stage and hopefully will be good in the end......crossed fingers!

You better like it Dan you is gonna have to look at it at the tractor shows!

BTW @Achto those rings checked out real nice once I got the right size!

• Like 1

Achto
10 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

BTW @Achto those rings checked out real nice once I got the right size!

That's great to hear. Let me know when you have some measurements for the battery cables & I can get them ready for you.

• Like 1

WHX??

:handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
15 hours ago, WHX11 said:

20170423_131217[1].jpeg

Jim, you reckon that exhaust stack is big/tall enough, to go all the way out the roof, :laughing-rofl:, Jeff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Lets not give me any ideas here! :lol:

• Like 1

Tgtack

So WHX11, did this get finished?

WHX??

Well sort of @Tgtack I have the final hood work/paint and decals with a few other minor details. Show season came upon us quicker than I thought and I ran out of time and had to get other tractors ready. Then it got hot out and people needed air conditioning. Darn work always gets in the way of fun! :no:Then I picked up some other implements that needed my immediate attention!  :lol:  I did  run it unfinished in a couple of shows for shake down but now have some things apart for the hood work but desperately need to get it done and back together to go to a show in MN. Will get some more pics up once all done. It really is turning out nicely! :)

A quick pic of it in action at a show

20170707_201934.jpg

Edited by WHX11
add
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Tgtack
1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

A quick pic of it in action at a show

20170707_201934.jpg

Nice, what tires are you running front and rear?

• Like 1

CasualObserver

@WHX11 Jim, I'm really looking forward to seeing this in Le Sueur. It really is coming out nicely and I love the personal touches.

WHX??

Carlisle  Tru Powers -  23X8.50X12 on the rear, maybe should have went 10.50's as they have the narrow look.  Firestone 16x850's on the front. Fronts are a little big for the rims as they came off a bigger C tractor but not too bad. Couldn't pass up the deal on them from a fellow member here figuring they could always be used elsewhere. The tires were supposed to be just for glamour shots then  going on a plow tractor but look so nice on this I dunno! I think the plow tractor is going to have to get cheaper Dee's :lol: Either way I can always swap them around as I have Maynard's lug kits on all my tractors to make swaps easy.

Yes will have it there Jason done or not, I did have it at the Portage show...  It does run like a Swiss watch!

Edited by WHX11
speeling
  • Like 6