WHX??

1067 Refresh & Mods.

Aldon

I screwed up my 1st input shaft seal as well recently. Glad to know I am in good company!

• Like 3

wheelhorseman

😍 I like - and all I remember is that it was somebody else's fault about the seals :ychain:

• Like 5

WHX??

somebody else's fault about the seals.....it  was ....she was :bitch:at me about something new to me stupid and I wacked it wrong! :lol:

I should have done it right away and still will Aldon... the zerk on the hitch pin. Also going to try o-rings under the hi/lo shift lever to try and keep water out during washings.

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 4

Aldon

I do indeed like the magnetic plugs and excruciating attention to detail and pro-active planning!!!!

• Like 2

WHX??

Real easy to make ... 1/8 mags off fleabay, drill a hole and some JB weld.

Does a guy need to seal the tranny to frame threads??... to prevent oil weep?

Couple of concerns  here ... brake band not lining up with the brake?? Please tell me the trans does not have to come back apart?

20170213_122526.jpg

20170213_122520.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Steering gear, should the fan gear shaft spin in the socket ball or the ball spin in the socket? this was pack full of 50 year old grease but does not show wear. Is ther a way to add a lube zerk here or not needed? Right now because of new paint the ball wants to spin in the socket but cause of the old grease I'm sure it didn't  before.

20170213_121239.jpg

Fan & support was thinking of adding a zerk here but shows sign of little wear

20170213_122009.jpg

On the top side tho the socket that accepts the steering shat is quite worn. I guess what I am asking is what can I do now to try and tighten up the steering.?

Stand by for some tie rod ordering Lowell.

I think the MN boys got me straigtened out on this but is this hub usable? I did do another set screw.

20170211_161003.jpg

20170211_160831.jpg

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 8

WHX??

Its close but they though it was usable. Still some good meat back in the keyway where the set screw is. I could bump out the hub to center the set over the woodruff but this would move out the hub. Here's the keyway.

20161011_190252.jpg

Bumped out a tad set screw center over the woody..

20170211_160713.jpg

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 7

ztnoo
2 hours ago, WHX9 said:

anal @Aldon

uugghhhh........that's a phrase I think I would have shied away from using.......but hey, that's just me.  umm.gif.f697703e120972db2b3abdd6c81c206e.gif

I think more appropriate descriptive terminology might be more civilly applied as "focused, thorough, diligent, detailed, consumed, and if need be......obsessive".

After all he is Dr. Trimble.

Should we expect less????   58a23dcea4783_dontknow.gif.2514f9f40113f01d8a6db57933804e7b.gif

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 4

WHX??

You sir have obviously have never see the good Dr's tractors.... ahhhh yah.... he's anal......:ychain:

20160625_095341.jpg

20160625_095400.jpg

• Like 7

Aldon

First @ztnoo he is only quoting me. I described myself as such. 

So no harm no foul:-)

And there are sooooooo many on this forum more able, experienced and capable than I. 

So I consider myself more of disciple than a master or doctor or whatever. Although I have become pretty familiar with the GT14.

@WHX9 I Will take your statement as a compliment! LOL

looks like your worker is going to be dang nice!

• Like 2

WHX??

Why thank you Aldon....that was very kind of you! When I get the the mother of all air compressors I will no longer consider myself a disciple but rather a :wh: apostle! :lol:

• Like 4

Achto
4 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Steering gear, should the fan gear shaft spin in the socket ball or the ball spin in the socket?

Just wondering if you cleaned the paint off of the shaft where the ball sits? I found that having paint on any bearing surface can cause some issues.

4 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Its close but they though it was usable. Still some good meat back in the keyway where the set screw is.

This axle & hub look like they could've been a good candidate for my full length key trick. It would suck to take the tranny back apart now though.

Looks like your making good progress.:handgestures-thumbupright: Looking forward to seeing it back in action. 

• Like 3

ACman

Looking good @WHX9 following closely ! Wish I could do the same without having wait for others to help...but this keeps sane watching you do this. Keep the :text-coolphotos: coming !

• Like 2

WHX??
11 hours ago, achto said:

Just wondering if you cleaned the paint off of the shaft where the ball sits?

Did just that Dan last nite, on both ends & will pack with grease and run it like that. Once I get the hood stand & dash housing  on will have to see what can be done to avoid the quarter turn of the wheel slop. Fan gear looks good yet but the wheel shaft teeth have some wear. Will have to do a bushing or something  in the trunnion socket that's where most of the slop is going to be. Darn near an 1/8 in play there.  Hindsight being 20/20 I should have done a full length key but I don't have a machining center just down the street! I will run it as is and keep an eye on it. since hubs are out there yet easy enough to swap out if it becomes a problem. The nicks out of the axle aren't as bad as the pic shows and are fairly shallow. Keep the set screws tight & should be ok.

Getting back to the steering gear the IPL shows different size shims in there (37 & 38) as well as a bushing (30). This tractor did not have those on disassembly. I would guess the shims are to keep the fan gear drawn up against the steering shaft?  

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Like 1

Achto
11 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Getting back to the steering gear the IPL shows different size shims in there (37 & 38) as well as a bushing (30). This tractor did not have those on disassembly. I would guess the shims are to keep the fan gear drawn up against the steering shaft?

Putting these shims in should get rid of your steering slop. If you happen to have some HD wheel bearing shims laying around, they would work perfectly. You could also try a 14ga machine washer, but they are around .075" thick.

• Like 1

WHX??

I may have those HD shims around..... if I can find them ....:wacko:!

• Like 1

Achto
8 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

I may have those HD shims around..... if I can find them ....:wacko:

If you can't find some let me know. I'm gonna try to get over to your place this weekend, I could bring some for you.

• Like 1

WHX??

Not much got done this past weekend....weather was way too nice to be inside and trying to get in some late season ice fishing but did work a little with the overhead open. Fitted a bushing in the steering shaft support. Note the zerk in the lower steering shaft support. Not much wear in this area but what the heck I love drilling & tapping cast. The bushing is going to help slop and also toying with the idea of a spring in the lower shaft to keep the fan gear drawn up again't the upper shaft gear instead of shims. 

20170220_181556.jpg

• Like 8

Aldon

I like the Zerk and the thought process behind self adjusting fan gear. I am following this for a enjoyment but I'll borrow any good ideas you come up with! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

WHX??

More than welcome Aldon ...I'll be your guinea pig! Sides I stole your zerk in the hitch pin idea that you pilfed from another thread. Comes around goes around! :lol:

Another small idea here, since I have been know to give a horse a bath once in awhile and get caught in the rain at shows I came up with to (maybe?) help keep water out of the tranny. O-rings to form a seal under the high low shift lever to act as a seal. I noticed ther was some play in the shaft hole where water could seep in. I would venture to guess the o-rings will rot out over time but it took all of a minute in the o-ring assortment kit to do and :wicked: cheap!

20170217_153123[1].jpg

Notice also the bushing above the clutch idler cross shaft. The shaft had some definite wear spots, probably from double clutching on the fly :hide: so the bushes with get fitted in for more support &  smoother operation in that area. !/2 id X 5/8 od X 1" long fit the bill.

Edited by WHX9
speeling
  • Like 5

Aldon

It can't be seen on my pics since I painted tranny black, however I pilfered your idea and similarly added orings to the high low shifter. Kudos!

• Like 3

WHX??

Great (or warped & twisted?!?!?) minds think alike!

• Like 1

WHX??

The whole weekend to myself for a change, well almost, but did mange to get a few things done on this project. If I would get off my keester and get some rear rubber ordered would have a roller!

20170225_170106.jpg

Fitting the dash housing up. Plan on polishing the dash, no paint just clearcoat. Saw another tractor that was done like that and was kinda cool so see how it looks. Can always paint it down the road if it doesn't look right.

20170226_153426.jpg

It was in the cards that these rims get finished.....52 pickup anyone... @achto says you get a better finish if you use all RED cards! :lol: 

20170222_170321.jpg

• Like 9