Rustyred

Rear axle damage with pics - replace it? or still ok?

Rustyred

Well folks,

Our transmission cleanup is complete except for the differential. Taking a closer look at the axles we found damage!! See pictures below.  (someone pointed out in an earlier thread that this can occur.)

The outer ring of the bearing put in some shallow grooving - the axle is ok where the needles themselves had been running.

Do I need to replace the axle?! Or is it ok since, I assume, the new needles will run on the area between the damage caused by the old bearing?

Thanks for the much needed advice.

58a1f748c3eb1_axledamage1.thumb.jpg.d329a899c94ebd517bf4bfe28fb6e09e.jpg

58a1f75038e62_axledamage2.thumb.jpg.5772425a390c92fd62c9dee59ade30d1.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

Axles are not that expensive.  If it does damage the needle bearing and it fails it can do a lot of damage.

Rustyred

Because purchasing such parts is new to me, would you have any recommendations of where to go for a new axle?

JAinVA

You didn't say which tractor or transmission you are working on.With that said a new axle from parts tree is around $200 plus shipping.I think the recommendation is for a used axle.I don't have that much WH experience per say but I have been around this type of situation on much bigger machines.In my opinion the shaft you have could be polished at the damaged area and if the bearing needles don't ride there then you can run what you have.In reusing this shaft you are taking a small risk but worst case you are back in to it again.Used transaxles and parts  are out there but if it were mine I would use  it.JMHO JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA

daveoman1966

I have several good used axles in my shop...  some are 1`" and some are 1 1/8" dia.  What is the length of the axle in your pics.

Send a direct email to me at:

daveoman@windstream.net