Joebag

Throttle Linkage Adjustment K181

Joebag

Hi peeps, I just got the k181 engine rebuilt and put back together, and when it came to setting the throttle linkage back up, I was looking in the manual and I noticed that the guy who I got the horse from had the throtle linkage way off, hence why the gov tab broke off inside the engine. He had the little arm that is suppose to stick at 9 o'cock pointing up at 12 o'clock and the throttle conected to the little arm that is on the disc with the holes. The manual shows that the throttle cable is suppose to be in the holes on the disc. like I have here

IMG_1530.jpg

My problem is that you see the "bumps" of the spiral shielded cable,( I have 8 bumps sticking past the little tab on cable) that has the tab screwed to it, and that is connected to the arm sticking out at 9 o'clock. How many bumps are to be past the tab so that everything will work right. I have tried everything, and I either get 1/2 throttle, no throttle, or a 3/4 throttle. Do I need to place the cable in another hole lower down on the disc down is increased speed, up is descreased speed. Also the  disc with the holes that has the gov spring slips into the little slot it is pointing about 4 o'clock as you can see. Does it need to be alitle higher closer to 3 o'clock or what? I have alreaady adjusted the governor by loosening the bolt and turning the shaft counter clockwise until is stopped, then retighten the bolt. But anyways I need pics. of how your alls is set up. she is almost there but she still dies when under a pretty good load. 

Thanks 

Joe

Edited by Joebag

Achto
39 minutes ago, Joebag said:

He had the little arm that is suppose to stick at 9 o'cock pointing up at 12 o'clock and the throttle conected to the little arm that is on the disc with the holes. The manual shows that the throttle cable is suppose to be in the holes on the disc. like I have here

Sounds like the PO had the cable set up right. You have to take into consideration that the Kohler manual does not cover every little variation of their engines. Not all K181's had the extra tab on the gov wheel. If you put the cable mounting arm back at 12 o'clock and attach the cable back to the little arm on the gov wheel you will have more control of the gov. All that little arm does is increase the cable travel.  My K181 does not have that little arm on the gov wheel and it's a PITA to get the throttle set where I want, not much movement from idle to wide open. I'm actually thinking about welding a tab on the gov wheel on mine so that I have more cable travel. This will increase my ability to make minor adjustments on my engine speed.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Joe...Try setting it back like this.  In the last 2 pictures, notice the other linkage in the top of the arm and in the 3rd hole in on the carb.  The grooves you are talking about are a good way to adjust RPM range when you pull the throttle cable...less bumps equals pulling the throttle a little farther.  :)  Moving that mounting arm from 12:00 to like 11:00 will do the same thing.

DSCF8583.thumb.JPG.317e0806e3e3af0047ca5b9c7bb8ebe9.JPGDSCF8561.thumb.JPG.413016477cabec1c0e848a63bb1c0e8a.JPGDSCF8562.thumb.JPG.5d7816fd0932249aabb9bf6ee2bf0686.JPG

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

Joebag

Steve so putting the link in the hole closest to the carb will open gov more. I put everything back like the PO had it. going to check to see if everything works right under a load because she wants to shut down and die on me when shes under load 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Joe, I'm not sure what the different holes will do.  Mine was set up like this and works great.  You do know how to adjust the governor shaft right??  Just asking.  :)

Joebag

lol yea setting gov shaft is easy

• Like 1

wallfish

When setting the cable to the governor, pull the conduit through the clamp holding it until the carburetor is in the full throttle position. This is done with the engine OFF. Once the engine starts the governor will govern the engine speed.

By connecting the cable to that extended arm off the disc, that will give the throttle lever/knob better control of the speed. But the way it is connected in your pic only allows a short pull on the disc. If the cable was connected in the hole to the right, it would rotate the disc more and give you full throttle.

The "dies under load" may be a separate issue like a bad condenser or plug wire ect.

cable.jpg.8af7639043753115a4b3df1d6765f841.jpg

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
10 hours ago, Joebag said:

Hi peeps, I just got the k181 engine rebuilt and put back together, and when it came to setting the throttle linkage back up, I was looking in the manual and I noticed that the guy who I got the horse from had the throtle linkage way off, hence why the gov tab broke off inside the engine. He had the little arm that is suppose to stick at 9 o'cock pointing up at 12 o'clock and the throttle conected to the little arm that is on the disc with the holes. The manual shows that the throttle cable is suppose to be in the holes on the disc. like I have here

IMG_1530.jpg

My problem is that you see the "bumps" of the spiral shielded cable,( I have 8 bumps sticking past the little tab on cable) that has the tab screwed to it, and that is connected to the arm sticking out at 9 o'clock. How many bumps are to be past the tab so that everything will work right. I have tried everything, and I either get 1/2 throttle, no throttle, or a 3/4 throttle. Do I need to place the cable in another hole lower down on the disc down is increased speed, up is descreased speed. Also the  disc with the holes that has the gov spring slips into the little slot it is pointing about 4 o'clock as you can see. Does it need to be alitle higher closer to 3 o'clock or what? I have alreaady adjusted the governor by loosening the bolt and turning the shaft counter clockwise until is stopped, then retighten the bolt. But anyways I need pics. of how your alls is set up. she is almost there but she still dies when under a pretty good load. 

Thanks 

Joe

joe look at where sheft is placed on carb that steve posted versus what you got. i just went through this on my 701 it was bogging down under loads changed the hole readjusted governor and boom runs strong

area i circled is what i am talking about imageproxy.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Why not move the cable to the next hole in the disc? That would give you more travel.

Good idea to mark the shaft to see if the governor arm is slipping on the shaft. The clamp appears to be maxed out as far as clamping ability. May need to remove the governor arm and run a hacksaw blade through the center to gain some clearance.

The throttle cable pulls on the spring to increase rpm. The spring is between the cable and the arm.

The governor tries to reduce rpm proportional to engine rpm.

The speed you end up with is the balance of those 2 forces.

Garry

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Tyler...excellent video.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  You even sound a little in pain doing this.  Thanks for taking the time and I hope you heal up good.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Tyler...excellent video.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  You even sound a little in pain doing this.  Thanks for taking the time and I hope you heal up good.  :occasion-xmas:

thank you. i am glad to help

• Like 2

Joebag
On 2/14/2017 at 11:39 AM, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

thanks for the video

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
27 minutes ago, Joebag said:

thanks for the video

no problem.

Joebag
On 2/17/2017 at 6:56 PM, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

no problem.

I put the k181 on the back burner for now, I went and got a 8hp predator engine and threw on the horse,  so far so good

Fightinggoat

Some good info posted here.

Edited by Fightinggoat

Fightinggoat
On 2/20/2017 at 6:55 PM, Joebag said:

I put the k181 on the back burner for now, I went and got a 8hp predator engine and threw on the horse,  so far so good

Sacrilege 

mike avad

dose that disc move? on the gov. am trying to hook mine back up and sure if that disc should move free with the cable hook up to it?

wallfish
41 minutes ago, mike avad said:

dose that disc move? on the gov. am trying to hook mine back up and sure if that disc should move free with the cable hook up to it?

Yes, that disc needs to move. The cable should connect to the disc and rotate that disc, the disc is connected to a spring, that spring is connected to the governor arm, the governor arm is connected to the carb.

mike avad

am not able to move that disc on the Gov its stuck. not sure it cuz I painted over it? what would be the best way to get it to move freely. sorry am knew at this my first wheel horse am trying to redo. thanks for your time and info.