Cee245

How I decarbon a P216 Onan

Cee245

Hey All,

I need to clean up the heads on my Wheel Horse 416-8.  It has 1150 hrs. Its never been done before even though I think the manual says to do it every 200hrs.  Isn't there kinda walk thru manuals and instructions on this?  I can't seem to find the link. Also, I'm unsure of what type of brush to clean with so it won't damage anything. (What do you use?)  Any help would be great. Thanks 

• Like 1

W9JAB

De-carbon, clean up the heads, brush to clean?

Just what are you trying to do?

De-carbon the in side of the head,piston top and valves?

Or clean the out-side surface?

Two very different things.

Cee245

Clean the inside of the head, pistons and valves. 

Edited by cee245

JAinVA

First thing you need to decarbon the heads is new head gaskets and access to a torque wrench.The tins need to come off.Some guys do the task by rotating the engine on the frame and some pull the engine off the tractor.Once off, oven cleaner does a great job of getting the carbon off the head.To get carbon off the piston and valves don't use something like putty knife.A stiff plastic spatula does well.A brass bristle wire brush helps.Just don't gouge the aluminum pistons.One thing that helps is to take pictures at different stages of disassembly so you know how everything goes back together.Search this site for threads on the decarboning task.

• Like 2

henryhpsd

Hello Guys,

If i may ask..

Im in the progress of decarboning... do you guys do anything with the chamber in cylinderhead  from piston to exhaust pipe ?

(there where the valve goes into the valve guide ?)

Made a few pictures of the present situation in the "euro introduction" section.

Or should i just leave it as it is ? 

Thank you in advance !

Henry

Edited by henryhpsd