Josh Fairchild

Onan oil leak

Josh Fairchild

Hello guys, new to this site. I have a wheel horse 518H with 18 hp Onan engine. Leaking oil pretty badly around the seal at the tip of the screwdriver. What is that? And would it be hard to replace? Thanks 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Jgoodsell

That looks to be the bearing plate. Part number is NN10008 or 101-0439-01. I am not sure how hard that as at the moment, but I would not wait to fix it at all. I located it in the Parts Catalog that you can got off from here.

• Like 1

GMan

Josh,

Might be just leaking around the bolts...........They are threaded through into the crankcase. If that is the case you could drain your oil and take them out one at a time, clean them and the holes with a suitable solvent, apply Locktite thread sealant and re-install them tightening them to spec. However, the gasket behind the bearing plate might be leaking in which case you might have to replace it. I would do the bolt thing first. What do you have to lose? Now, having stated all this, there is a seal around the crankshaft that is pressed into that bearing plate. If that is the case the clutch will have to be removed to access that seal but it can be replaced without pulling the engine...................Gary

• Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

Show us a picture of the cap that looks like a frost plug, forward and up a little from your picture.

bmsgaffer

Also, just try tightening the bolts that hold on the bearing plate. I have read of a couple of people that just had to tighten that plate up to stop the leak. Or at least slow it to nearly stopped.

• Like 3

Vinnie

I have the same problem.  How did you fix your bearing plate oil leak?

oliver2-44

@Vinnie welcome. Lots of help here, but this is. 7 year old thread and the writer has not been on back on here in 7 years. 
I digest you start a new threat and it will get more responses.