jay bee

In search of the elusive muffler

formariz

Finally that type muffler new and reasonably priced. I spent in the past close to that amount these cost in used ones that were advertised as good and were blasted and painted only for them to develop holes or cracks around the welds in less than two months. I got one of these and it is very well built. It is heavy. The separate elbow provides more flexibility in installation in different tractors than original with fixed elbow. Although I got it for a c125, I am going to attempt to mount it on my Electro12 after taking a look at it today. Looks like it will work. If successful I most likely will also replace the others i keep patching up on the c125 and the c120. Great product.

• Like 2

squonk

Caz, I'd like to see a pic if it works on the Electro. I have a  1267 with a similar set up and was wondering about having enough room for that style muffler. This tractor is loud and had to go with a specially built stack to get the sound reasonable.

• Like 1

plumb-r

I've been trying to figure out what muffler I can borrow from another tractor brand that wouldn't take to much to adapt to work. It would be great if I could buy one that fit with out the rube goldberg. Is it the intention to sell them ?

• Like 1

can whlvr

look in the sellers area,a member is doing these mufflers and a reasonable price

• Like 1

jay bee
58 minutes ago, plumb-r said:

Is it the intention to sell them ?

I do have a few on hand right now.  I have a post in Classified Forum under Wheel Horse for Sale category.  I'd put a link here for you if I could figure out how to do it!!!

Jim

Edited by jay bee
  • Like 1

Blasterdad

Got ya covered, here is the link...

• Like 1

jay bee

How about that...I think I figured it out!!!

Jim

@Blasterdad  Thanks, you posted that just as I was having an AHA moment!!!

Jim

Blasterdad

:banana-dance::ROTF::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Good job on those. I think you could keep this guys in a full time job with orders from here. They look great. Are you going to paint or clear coat them?

• Like 1

JimmyJam

Great fabrication job! Thank that man for us! My question is: How difficult is it to remove those old, rusted, baked-on crusty threaded pipe nipples? I have been soaking them daily w/ penetrating spray and tapping them with a hammer for 2-weeks now. Won't budge! I read on a RS forum, several years ago, how a member used a hacksaw to make several interior saw cuts up to the thread line and pried them off. Any other options out there?

14 hours ago, squonk said:

Caz, I'd like to see a pic if it works on the Electro. I have a  1267 with a similar set up and was wondering about having enough room for that style muffler. This tractor is loud and had to go with a specially built stack to get the sound reasonable.

Squonk: I have an Electro12 as well that had a similar Nelson muffler, just a shorter nipple so as the muffler tailpipe sneaks between block and hood bracket. However in my case I have a set of HL-5 headlight kit there. So I am opting for a stack type muffler. 

jay bee
13 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Are you going to paint or clear coat them?

Thanks for the :handgestures-thumbupright: Wrencher.  The muffler and pipe are made of aluminized steel so I wouldn't think they would need paint or clear coat, but I suppose if someone wanted to, that would be their choice.  I've run some of the prototypes for about a year and they still look great. 

Jim

• Like 1

jay bee
10 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

My question is: How difficult is it to remove those old, rusted, baked-on crusty threaded pipe nipples? I have been soaking them daily w/ penetrating spray and tapping them with a hammer for 2-weeks now. Won't budge! I read on a RS forum, several years ago, how a member used a hacksaw to make several interior saw cuts up to the thread line and pried them off. Any other options out there?

@JimmyJam This post might give you some help.

Jim

• Like 1

JimmyJam

Thank you jay bee!!!!!

• Like 1

formariz

Well, call me crazy but here is what i decided to do with the "Jay Bee" muffler on the Electro 12. It was not bought for it but it needed one so I decided to use it.

There is no room in front of engine and behind hood for it. From the air filter to the hood everything interferes.If the muffler's body was about 3" shorter then with some clever plumbing it would work but still be tight. If hood was as wide on bottom as on top even better, but it is what it is on this model. When I got this tractor from Ken B. it had a long muffler mounted horizontally which is the best way for this model as you can see on first photo. The only draw back was that the outlet on long muffler was too close to operator and one winds up having some exhaust on the face area.

So based on how it was then I mounted this one also horizontally. Since it has the outlet on the side with the long pipe exhaust is directed much lower than before. No interference with PTO or implement belt changes. I will also probably fabricate an extension and have it directly under foot board aimed away from tractor. Fabricated metal bracket to attach to mufflers bracket for additional support .

The Electro was always a noisy tractor specially at full throttle. Although still a bit noisy compared to others now one notices engine noise  rather than muffler. At idle it is very quite and at full throttle it has a nice "throaty" sound. Sounds really solid unlike before. The original muffler fell apart inside with the loose baffles actually plugging the exhaust outlet and I bought another one like it for about $35.00 only to have exactly the same thing happen after one year. This muffler is heavy at 3Lbs 9-1/2ounces compared to a tall stack muffler with the flap on top which is only 3Lbs 1-1/4 ounces. It should last forever now. 

IMG_5070.thumb.JPG.5f222390fd75321e0f309ee70ad31d50.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG.7ed0a0d34f5516263bbc662d19007ec2.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG.3ec436f10ea222a699e7f7619b4780ad.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG.6f6a3689e451cd68edb62b86f7c15171.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG.f1f9affa8d35a754d198b91eb879950c.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG.6f6a3689e451cd68edb62b86f7c15171.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3

squonk

Looks like a "Hot Foot Caz.:) While I applaud your ingenuity, I think I will stick with the stack. Thanks for the pic.

• Like 1

formariz
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Looks like a "Hot Foot Caz.:) While I applaud your ingenuity, I think I will stick with the stack. Thanks for the pic.

I thought so too once I started it but actually after driving it for a while no Hot Foot at all.

• Like 1

jay bee

Cas, nice job.:handgestures-thumbupright:   I never imagined an installation like that but as they say "ingenuity is the mother of invention".  Or maybe it was "darn that won't work, let's try this".  Either way I think it is great!!!:greetings-clappingyellow:

Jim

• Like 1

formariz
1 minute ago, jay bee said:

Cas, nice job.:handgestures-thumbupright:   I never imagined an installation like that but as they say "ingenuity is the mother of invention".  Or maybe it was "darn that won't work, let's try this".  Either way I think it is great!!!:greetings-clappingyellow:

Jim

I appreciate that. Not too many options for this model. The "pepper pot" mufflers that originally came with them are noisy and in my opinion a little ridiculous for an engine this size.I am also not too fond of a "stack" muffler for a worker like this. I have in the past hooked stacks on low hanging branches and worst things. Somehow with stacks I am also always inhaling exhaust specially if stopped or moving slow. This way it throws fumes low and away from me. I might experiment extending that pipe even further under foot board.

• Like 1

jay bee

I'll PM you,  I might be able to help you with that.

Jim

TimC121

will they fit c-121? if so let me know would like to order one

jay bee

Yes Tim, they will fit the C-121.  I will PM you.  Unfortunately I am out of them right now.

Edited by jay bee

I would be interested in purchasing two mufflers like you had made. Do you sell them, or would the muffler shop make 2 more? 

jay bee

Sorry, I do not sell them anymore. The tariffs on aluminized steel raised the prices beyond reason. 

• Sad 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, jay bee said:

Sorry, I do not sell them anymore

:crying-yellow::crying-blue:

• Like 1