kthack657

Onan 16 hp need valve adjustment?

kthack657

Hello all, I have a custom tractor with a 16 hp onan, it worked ok when I got it, but when I was putting it away for the winter, it started having issues and would not run, started backfiring and spewing fuel out of the carb.  Welll I took it out of winter storage and charhed the battery up, and again trued to start it...no luck... JimT1971 thought perhaps the carb and intake needed to be cleaned, so we cleaned it all up yesterday and put it back together, this time we were able to get it to run briefly, but it still spots fuel and when the air cleaner is on it you can hear it backfiring from that area...JimT1971 believes that perhaps the valves need to be adjusted, but well Onans are definately not my strong point and I need a lot of guidance from the experts.  Thank you in advance

lynnmor

Periodic valve adjustments are a normal maintenance procedure.  My guess is that the carb and intake still needs closer attention.  It is easy to miss an air leak, float leaks or dirt in carb passages.

kthack657

I dont think it is the carb and intake, we cleaned up a spare, and put everything back together, and it is still doing the same thing...I believe it has to be the valves just from the amount of fuel that us getting pushed up through the carb...

ericj

sounds like the valve seat came out. My first 520 had a valve seat out and I could only get it to run with the air cleaner off. do a compression check to see which if a cylinder is down. onan says that you should have at least 85 psi per cylinder. good luck

eric j

kthack657

Thank Eric, I will have to pick up a compression gauge, I am hoping that is not the case, it was put away and had no issues, but wouldnt start when we went to move it, that us when it started having the issues...do you have any recommendations for shops if it is the seat, or would it be better to look for a replacement

kthack657

Well did the compression test...no compression in the back cylinder and 90 psi in the front so now the motor is coming off :-( I hope it is just a stuck valve and not a seat, but already have help if it is, wish me luck

• Like 1

kthack657

IT is NOT the valve seat waaahhhhooooooooooo, we pulled a screw out of the valve... I have no clue where it came from or how it got there but am sooo happy I could cry right now :-D I have a picture but it wont let me upload at the moment

• Like 2

oldredrider

Check your carburetor for a missing screw. Throttle and choke plates especially. 

kthack657

We did that already, this screw does not go to anywhere on the engine, it had to be a mishap when the engine was redone last year, before I got it...

cleat

There are also 3 little screws that hold the air cleaner onto the carb.

I am always afraid of dropping one of those. Keeping the choke on helps.

Cleat

• Like 1

kthack657

This screw was bigger than those holes, we believe this was a screw from something else entirely, we were just lucky that there was no damage to anything

ericj

karen and jim; glad it worked out for you and turned out to be nothing major, just when you think that it is as bad as it can get every now and then it does turn around, good luck

eric j

• Like 1

kthack657

It lives!!!!! Oh man I cannot believe it is alive!!

20170225_161650.mp4

onanparts.com
On 2/25/2017 at 4:10 PM, kthack657 said:

It lives!!!!! Oh man I cannot believe it is alive!!

20170225_161650.mp4

You got screwed! Nice to see you also got unscrewed! :) The Onan sure sounds sweet with that custom exhaust! 

• Like 1

WHX??

Was that the raffle tractor at last years BS Karen? Say hey to Jim for me! :)

Edited by WHX9

kthack657

Yes it is in fact the raffle tractor, now that the engine runs,it got some new front tires, I am working on a different seat pan and will be finishing what Eldon, the Hornings, and Ken started.  I just need a few more 70 degree days this winter/spring...

Edited by kthack657

wildman
On 2/19/2017 at 1:46 PM, kthack657 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bIT is NOT the valve seat waaahhhhooooooooooo, we pulled a screw out of the valve... I have no clue where it came from or how it got there but am sooo happy I could cry right now :-D I have a picture but it wont let me upload at the moment

I would adjust valves at this time

• Like 1