520 man

Installed primer bulb on 520

520 man

Tractor had been sitting for a month or so and would have cranked a long time before starting.

With the primer, I pumped it until it felt hard then just touched the key to start and the machine roared to life.

This is the test machine. If it works properly then I will install one on all of my 520's.

Primer bulb test on 520H 1.jpg

Fuel line is long in this picture. If primer is to be permanent I will properly shorten the line.

Cleat

• Like 6

Stormin

I've fitted the same type to my C-125 and C-121. A really worth while addition. Instant starting. Yet to fit one to the C-81.

• Like 1

Racinbob

:WRS:

I have the same issue with my 2005 Classic.but it's never really bothered me in this warm climate. We'll be back in Indiana soon and I wouldn't want to be cranking it that long when it's cold. I want to do this to it. :)

Jerry77

I put one on my 314-8 before I gave it to my son -- huge difference -- should have done it years ago - got mine thru a marine supply - seems watercraft use these extensively...one caveat - make sure it is installed vertically so the built in check valve works..on a horizontal plane it will drain back to the tank....:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Where are these fuel primer bulbs available to buy?On line any place?Part number?

Edited by Pollack Pete

Racinbob

I just bought one on Ebay. Under $6 delivered. A marine store would have them too. :)

KC9KAS

@520 man Very good idea!

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Texas Todd

I gave that a whirl on my 312-8, but couldn't keep the fuel filter full once it was running. May have got a bad one and it was sucking air and losing prime. May give it another go with a new one.

lynnmor

I mentioned this Nov. 11, 2016. Link

Got this response: We running boats now Lynn? :ychain:

squonk
1 hour ago, Pollack Pete said:

Where are these fuel primer bulbs available to buy?On line any place?Part number?

Any marina or a Napa 

stevebo

I had the same issue with my 520s and installed a shut off between carb and fuel pump. Seems to be working good. 

1995 520H+96+97

I used to have cranking to long problem on my 1996 520H, replaced all the fuel line and clamps.

Stormin
6 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

make sure it is installed vertically so the built in check valve works..on a horizontal plane it will drain back to the tank....:twocents-02cents:

The one on the C-121 is vertical just before the pump. The C-125 one is horizontal above the transmission. There's a square hole under the seat and I can get at it that way.  Three squeezes are all that's required, even if not run for a few weeks.

Jerry77
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Any marina

Any marina should do - there is a lot of difference in quality between brands, but the marinas stock the good stuff. gonna cost you around 20-25 bucks....:twocents-02cents:

4 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

couldn't keep the fuel filter full

That sounds like weak fuel pump...:)

Texas Todd
20 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

That sounds like weak fuel pump...:)

Nope. Took the primer bulb off and stays full fine now. 

• Like 1

can whlvr

my bobcat skid steer has a primer to prime up the fuel filter cartridge after changing the filter,or if you run it out of fuel,probally pricey at bobcat though

cleat

When I blow through the primer bulb there does seem to be a fair bit of resistance.

Pump seems to pull fuel through although I have not used the tractor, just ran it in the garage (with exhaust fans running).

That is why it is hooked up temporary, so I can put it back to original if the primer idea does not work out.

We got a big dump of snow a few days ago but I used the big tractor and cab to clear that.

I started this thread at work where for some reason I can't log into my main account.

JackC

cleat, did you say you replaced a p220 with a P216? Any issues other than a few .less ponies? Does the tach still work? TIA

cleat

Yes, one of my 520's has 16HP.

The one with the straight axle and smaller tires.

All the wiring is the same. It is a plug and play and everything works just the same.

Since that machine will never get the big deck or the 2 stage blower 16HP is plenty.

I do tend to use the tiller on that one due to the smaller tires helping to keep the width down to the tiller width.

The tiller does not seem to require much HP though.

Cleat

• Like 2

JackC

All the wiring is the same. It is a plug and play and everything works just the same.

Since that machine will never get the big deck or the 2 stage blower 16HP is plenty.

Great to hear. That does provide a workable option for most applications for a 520 in need of an engine. Thanks.