Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Garden layout plans

6wheeler

Hi all. Just finished up some preliminary plans for this years 3 gardens. I was wondering though? This year I am planning to move the rows farther apart. First is for the sweet corn. I am thinking of planting the rows at 48". That would make it easier to cultivate, even when the corn reaches canopy. The only thing that worries me is pollination. We used to plant all our field corn on 38",s when I was younger and it did well. I tried 38",s last year and though the corn did well? It was hard to go between the rows even with the 312h and cultivator narrowed down to 32" overall width. When I asked my corn supplier about wider rows? He said," Well, there is only one way to find out".  Has anyone planted sweet corn at this spacing? I would like to do it with the popcorn too. As for the tomatoes? 60" spacing is the plan. Peas and beans will also be on 48",s. Squash will be exclusively in the west garden with nothing else in there. And new for this year? The south garden will become a square foot garden. The square wil be 4'X4' with 60" between each square with a total of 24 squares. My wife tried a smaller version of this in my grandsons garden last year and I was impressed how well it produced. Anyone else planning yet? I know you are. 

Jerry77
41 minutes ago, 6wheeler said:

Has anyone planted sweet corn at this spacing?

Back years ago I had a 1/3 acre garden of all the various crops including popcorn and potatoes - everything was planted on 4 foot wide rows - made it much easier to hill the potatoes and not get to close to the base of the other plants - never had a problem with pollination or anythiing else for that matter --( except for racoons - but that is another story )   sounds like a plan..:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Dennys502

I put down 3 - 4 inches of grass around all my plants. Keeps the weeds down good. In the winter I cover my carrots with about a foot of leaves and then cover with plastic. The ground is just as soft as it is in the summer and when I take the leaves off in the spring the carrots that didn't get picked start growing again.

This is the garden I build at the last place. 8' high with rabbit guard around the bottom and electric fence at the top with solar charger. No one got in. I'm going to put up an 8' high fence around the front of the property here - about 3 acres.

Full Garden.JPG

DCP_3385.JPG

DCP_3386.JPG

• Like 9

6wheeler

Nice garden. Now that is a fence. I would need several fences for my gardens and by the time I was done? I would be fence poor. The rabbits and squirrels around here? Go well with the veggies I grow. I agree with using grass between the rows for weed control. I however, cannot do that. I cut and rake and bale my grass for bedding for my chickens. Covering the carrots is a great idea too. I use straw to do that and it does work very well. As an addition this year? I am also going to try planting potatoes in some old straw bales to see what happens. From what I understand? I would just place the seed potatoes into the bale (while it is still tied) and water. One plan I read, uses 5 bales placed on the sides, with 4 surrounding the center one. Then, plant the seed between the books on the inside bale and close to the inside of the surrounding bales. I will get a picture up when I make it when it is time. I am kind of excited about this. If I am guessing right? I may be able to basically compost the straw over summer. Get the spuds out and then push the compost into the corresponding garden and work it in.That should get away from hilling, and keep the right amount of moisture for the potatoes. Plus, compost to boot. It seems to me though? The bale may be too tight and the spuds may be deformed. But? There is only one way to find out, right?

• Like 2

Dennys502

The Garden was just the right size for the ex and I. I grew broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, corn, squash, potatoes, watermelon, beans, peas and strawberries. The end of the garden had grape vines that I had started. It would last us through the winter and up till the next harvest.

I like your idea on the potatoes it will be interesting to see how it works.

wrightorchid

I think you should be fine on the 48" spacing for the corn, but it is better to have a block/section  of corn, rather than 2 very long rows..

• Like 2

Jerry77
On 2/12/2017 at 1:17 PM, 6wheeler said:

I am also going to try planting potatoes in some old straw bales

Knew a guy years ago that planted a 3 acre field of potatoes on straw...don't remember the particulars of how he went about it, but he had an abundant supply of wheat straw and that was the cover for the spuds - don't remember if he put any straw down first ,but it would make sense to.....I do remember that he had great success with it and that he and his family hand picked the spuds..seems to me like he had about a foot of straw over the potatos....:)

Kmeyer3

Dig a one foot deep trence 10' long. Place straw half way up, fill the rest with 1or 2 yr old mulch. Soak it down with water. Next thing,couple inches of straw then place potato starts , cover with about one foot of straw, lightly cover with rich soil. Water,wait, dig.use Kennebec's. Maybe at last a little beer,and pray. Ha. Ps.wait till there is warmth in ground.      Good luck