Adams94

C160 Hydro

Adams94

Has any body else ever had a problem with the frame breaking where the hydro bolts on with 4 bolts.  I just found mine is cracked in 2 places and even some steel missing.  Not a total shock, I did notice a certain "flex" in it at times when I was mowing that I thought was odd. Oh well I guess it will go to the welding shop.  Looks like somebody has tried to weld it before but that also cracked.

Jerry77
16 minutes ago, Adams94 said:

tried to weld it before but that also cracked

to prevent a weld from cracking again, you have to drill a hole at the end of the current crack - then you can weld the crack...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

There are quite a few posts on here describing methods of welding and reinforcing the broken frame plates.   Just use the search for broken frame.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Very common problems on many model Wheel Horse's.I've actually seem some tractors break in half.I guess a kit used to be available to fix this problem.Some pieces of flat stock can be drilled to match the mounting holes then welded in place.Also,check the tranny bolts ocassionaly to make sure they're tight.When loose,they create stress on the frame that leads to the cracking problem.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Some folks add a piece of flat steel after welding the cracks....Longer bolts are necessary, BUT be careful that your bolts aren't too long and break the cast iron transmission housing!

• Like 1

Adams94

Thanks, I will get it to the welding shop and post some pictures!

• Like 1

Forest Road

Toro used to sell a 1/4" pice of steel. It covered the entire trans mount. Easy enough to make. It could just be bolted on OR welded on. It was standard on 520h models. 

Drain trans before removing 4 mounting bolts. You'll need some 3/8" threaded rod OR some 2.5" bolts w heads cut off. Remove trans mount bolts. Install your 2.5" threaded rods in place of bolts. Now trans is secured. Lay your 1/4" plate over the trans mount.remove threaded rod and replace w new bolts one at a time. Works like a charm! 

• Like 2

Adams94

Awesome, yea I could see how that would work well, I will do that!:thanks:

Adams94

I like that, looks very strong!

can whlvr

on one of my tractors(I forget which one the plate has 2 rolls formed in it,i had to use thicker plate and carve out the stiffening rolls so the plate would sit flat on the existing plate,i like daves method,and hes correct that the metal will be brittle and weak if too much heat,and another problem can be getting the hydro lines apert without stripping them,if you use daves method you don't have to separate

• Like 3

roadapples

Have also used Dave`s method. Do one side at a time, no need to remove trans., And you don`t need a welder...

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Heres my 701 wheel horse. i been taking it easy since repair. also got lead on a couple used frames. i am going to look into getting one so i wont have to worry lol