seven

Weak spark

seven

I had it running but it was like missing a lot, then it ran out of gas and now I can't get it to run again I looked at the spark and it wasn't sparking all the time I cleaned the points and that helped but I still can't get it to run the spark looks yellowish??

pfrederi

Would help if we knew what model motor we were talking about.  Kohler , Techy, Onan.  Type of ignition system...Magneto, Battery....What brand and type of plug do you have.

seven

12 HP Kohler electro 12 sorry

pfrederi

Electros came with 2 maybe 3 types of ignition.  Breakerless (which wouldn't have points...but when they failed many were retrofitted with battery igniton).  Magneto with points  and Battery ignitions.  Which are we dealing with here?  Does the plug wire come from a small round can like device (coil) or does it come from under the shroud  (magneto type) 

Edit what type plug do you have and what is the gap.  Battery ignition should be .035 Magneto .025

Edited by pfrederi

953 nut
1 hour ago, seven said:

ran out of gas and now I can't get it to run again

Are you sure you are getting fuel flow to the carburetor? The Kohler fuel pumps are good at pushing fuel but not so good at priming themselves.

seven

OK it has a battery to start it but It doesn't have a coil  plug wire must go to magneto . It might not be getting gas after it ran out but it never even fired once when I sprayed starting fluid in it .No rush I just thought I'd start it for awhile today when I was over at the farm?: I didn't see much gas in the filter either so I tried blowing in the gas tank as I was turning it over and still not a pop

gwest_ca

Sounds like a 1968 model

Garry

pfrederi

If it didn't pop when you sprayed starting fluid in it there is a spark issue.  (Incidentally, go easy on the ether it is hard on the engine, use spray carb cleaner instead)

Is the spark plug clean and gapped at .025?

Is it a Champion plug...I have had issues with them not wanting to fire under compression.

You say you cleaned the points did you check the gap???

seven

I'm pretty sure it is a h10 plug I did not check the points gap what should it be at 

953 nut

The points gap also sets your timing, use this method to get it properly set;

Kohler static_timing.pdf

seven

So correct me if I'm wrong ..You say to first set the points at ,020 .Gap does the flywheel need to be in a exact spot to do this or just anywhere for the ballpark close?

seven

i got it running by charging the battery . runs pretty good tried to adjust points to ,020 also it seems like every once in awhile it backfires out the exaust tried adjusting high idle but couldnt get it to go away ?