pfrederi

Roller chain on the front wheels --Even more of a believer now

ohiofarmer

Stop by a motorcycle shop and they might give you some chain. I burn up at least one a year, so think of the possibilities. Maybe ask the mechanic what kind of beverage:occasion-partyblower: he enjoys... You know what to do

• Like 5

DennisThornton

Was fixing to ask if it was still the general consensus that roller chain was the best front tire traction aid.  I sure need some for my turfs! 

I've not tried anything yet but the roller chain was on my todo list.   While #40 comes up a lot has anyone tried smaller peddle bike chain?  Or maybe twist link?

oldlineman

I also put # 40 roller chain on my snow pusher 1979 c-101 this year and what a difference, all those years fighting the front end,:handgestures-thumbupright: only cost $20.00 for 10 feet at TC, best money I have spent in a good while.   

• Like 4

DennisThornton

How about a closeup of one front tire with the roller chain? 

pfrederi

Sorry the best I have right now.  Cocktail hour:P

You asked about other chains...I was wondering if anyone had gone bigger than #40.  Maybe like the chain drive in my big tractor (Case DC3)

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0065 (2).JPG

IMG_0416.jpg

• Like 4

can whlvr

real nice pair of horses paul they look great together .I too have run roller chain for years,and I also tried bike chain,it worked great but soon started to roll over and deform,then fall off.thats one thing ive learned,if you have a tire that goes flat even slowly the chain will fall off,so fix those slow leakers before putting the chain on

• Like 2

pfrederi

Mine have very old tires...they got tubed

rjg854

I started using roller chains on my Commando 8 this season and it makes all the difference in the world.  There's nothing better for steering ability on packed snow and ice. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Anyone looked at double chain to reduce any tendency to "roll over"

roller.PNG

• Like 2

Digger 66
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

IMG_0118.JPG

Bet that ^ ^ ^ ^ was fun !

oldlineman

I will get a picture tomorrow of mine if I can Dennis. I didn't plow this last snow storm mostly because it will get to 45 and 50 next two days and also the yard is not frozen and I have a hard time getting back to the shed , diggs up sod. Bob

• Like 1

857 horse
20 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Bet that ^ ^ ^ ^ was fun !

Tell me DIGGER didn't have a ball.!!!!!!!,,,talk about seat time !!!!!!!

AND now after reading this thread,,,,,,,,,Im convinced this is a better muse trap.....I'll bet ED the Stacks Kennell isn't doing this !!!!!!!!

I just have to figure out how much #40 I will need,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Howard857Horse in VA

rjg854

A little less chain than is used on a snow thrower. When I put a new chain on my snow thrower,   I used the old chain on one of the front tires.

• Like 3

wallfish
4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Was fixing to ask if it was still the general consensus that roller chain was the best front tire traction aid.  I sure need some for my turfs! 

I've not tried anything yet but the roller chain was on my todo list.   While #40 comes up a lot has anyone tried smaller peddle bike chain?  Or maybe twist link?

They roll over like stated above. The #40 seems to stay put. And @857 horse Howard, a 10 Ft piece will work to do both with some leftover. Most good hardware stores sell it in a box with 10 Ft chain and one master link so you'll need to buy a second master link. Normal cost is about $20 +/-

• Like 7

gt4

Thanks pfrederi for posting that. See that's what is great about this site, if i had never been a member i would miss a heap of valuable information. I've never heard about a roller chain on a tire before.👌

• Like 1

oldlineman

I will get a picture tomorrow of mine if I can Dennis. I didn't plow this last snow storm mostly because it will get to 45 and 50 next two days and also the yard is not frozen and I have a hard time getting back to the shed , diggs up sod. Bob

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

• Like 2

pfrederi

Here are mine on the older narrower front tires.

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 3

oldlineman

I left all the air out and made the chain as short as possible and then aired the tires up. You have to keep the air up or they will come off. Sure helps its like the front is glued to the ground.

• Like 5

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, oldlineman said:

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

I wanted to see how much they "cut into" the bulge of the tread. 

Thank you! 

Lee1977

They used roller chain on go karts tires many years ago for racing on frozen lakes. Must have been great fun!

tallen4392

Do any of you guys that have used roller chain know does it cut into asphalt driveway you would think that it would ....THAMKS 

• Like 1

Sarge

Any steel dragging across or cutting into asphalt will certainly mark it pretty good . If you're concerned with this - run whatever tire you want on the front and use wheel weights and/or add liquid to the tires . I run both front weights and liquid filled 16x6.50x8 Carlisle Tru Power ags on the front of the old 1277 - it always steers wherever it's pointed but those tires are approaching 50lbs each loaded . You have to be aware of a possible issue with front end steering parts wearing with the added traction on dry pavement , I only move the steering wheel when the tractor is in motion to lessen the wear on those parts . Just remember , adding extra traction can add wear/breakage to the tractor - like my broken frame (twice) in the rear from running 145lb loaded ags w/chains , it never spins - just breaks things but boy will it push a pile of stuff...lol .

Liquid currently used here is RV antifreeze in the bio friendly variety . Beet juice , windshield washer fluid , ect are all good weight adders for tires . I'd avoid using calcium chloride unless you like buying new wheels or run very heavy/high quality tubes .

Sarge

• Like 1

tallen4392

Thanks sarge for all the info I think I know what way to go with it now 

ebinmaine

:text-+1: for the "beet juice"

I don't know if we're allowed to use brand names here but I had a local tractor dealer to me fill mine for less than $4 a gallon installed.