jkazam1

Onan 220 rebuild

jkazam1

The Onan 220 is blowing fresh oil out the muffler, making a mess of the PTO components. I'm thinking a rebuild might be in order, and I think it's  more than I want to tackle. Anyone know of a good shop in Pa.????

KC9KAS

You may want to consider re-powering it with something else...The ONAN parts are pretty pricy!

jkazam1

Yes they are, Checked with Enginemasters in IL, they said 1700- 2000 plus shipping. Checked with Repower on a Honda replacement, about 2200. Probably better to rebuild and hope its at the low end of the spectrum.

Ed Kennell

Predator Engines 61614 22 HP (670cc) V-Twin Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA$699 at HF

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat: I would have no problem dropping a predator in, they have a pretty good reputation. 

On the other hand, I know that a briggs vanguard 23hp was a repower option for a while and it should be quite a bit less then the honda. Should be able to get a Kohler for 1500 or so also. 

benji756

You may want to get in touch with Boomer here on red square he may be able to help you out.

cleat

My 520HC was smoking badly and leaking oil when I got it.

Turns out the welch plug at the end of the camshaft was loose.

That is where the oil was leaking out.

Also at the same time, oil would spit up out of the crankcase vent into the air cleaner.

Replacing and sealing up the welch plug stopped both problems.

Total cost was a couple of dollars.

Cleat

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
1 hour ago, cleat said:

My 520HC was smoking badly and leaking oil when I got it.

Turns out the welch plug at the end of the camshaft was loose.

That is where the oil was leaking out.

Also at the same time, oil would spit up out of the crankcase vent into the air cleaner.

Replacing and sealing up the welch plug stopped both problems.

Total cost was a couple of dollars.

Cleat

Come to think of it, when I got mine it was sucking in oil too and it was just due to a malfunctioning breather. Cleaned that when I cleaned the carb and it sorted out all the oil problems. It only had a bit over 300 hours though. Good thoughts!

jkazam1

Yes, lots of options. Keeping the original Onan was my preference though. The oil appears in the muffler. Most burns off, but due to a crack in the muffler along the mounting bracket, this is where it drips from. I decarboned the cylinders last year and set valve clearance. I noted I could change the clearance on (1) valve by rotating the tappet. Bent maybe?? Leaking through valve seal maybe?? I am pulling the engine off to recheck everything. Can I do a valve seal without getting too deep into the cases?? Thanks for the comments to date!

I should note the hour meter does say a little over 500 hrs. I bought it from a guy in CT a few years back. It did appear to be well maintained and serviced. It replaced an 89 HC that was just plain wore out....

clueless

Small Engine Warehouse has a 23hp Briggs Vanguard kit for the 520, 1650.00 plus shipping. Few years ago helped a buddy put one of these kit on a Simplicity Sovereign. The kit comes with every thing you need, muffler, wiring harness, mounting plate and instructions. He had already pulled the engine and had every thing cleaned and ready when I got there. Took us about 2hr from pulling it out of the crate to "its alive", probably less time, minus the adult beverage breaks. Thing still runs great, plan on doing this to my sovereign if the OHC kohler every does give up.

• Like 1

WH nut

If its blowing oil out the muffler, a compression and leak down test will tell you a lot before you ever crack a bolt.

• Like 1

lynnmor

If the valve clearance changes as you rotate the tappet, the surfaces are worn where the adjuster meets the valve or where the tappet meets the cam.  If it is where the tappet meets the cam, both will need replacement.

• Like 2

jkazam1

Lynnmor, That's about what I was thinking, and it does not sound encouraging. Leaning back to a repower again I guess. Small Engine Warehouse does say 1650 + shipping. Repower in Or. quoted 2180 for a Honda 20 hp. Jim,s quoted 2400 for the Vanguard 24 hp. (Same one as SEW I would presume). Anyone have experience across these wide ranges of prices??

clem

I got my honda gx690 3 years ago from Equipatron. At that time they were about the lowest price I could find, and no sales tax with free shipping. With honda muffler and ignition switch/wire harness cost was 1750.

ericj

Dale Dotterer of Dale's mower service, he's in Kempton Pa, phone number 610-756-6453. he likes the onans and just rebuilt a couple of them recently. talk to him about a possible rebuild. good luck

eric j

clueless

If you go with small engine warehouse, make sure you talk to a rep, tell him you want the better packaging, cost a little more but worth it. Their standard packing, not to great, and I don't care who you use to ship stuff, they all have gorillas working for them :o