Jams

New Wheel Horse Owner

Jams

I just bought a 1988 Wheel Horse 520H . Came with a 60 inch deck, single stage blower and tiller and chains for $400

It runs and drives but 20 HP Onan surges and know it sat a while ( year) and needs carb cleaning, fuel change basic tune up. Its no show rig... 

I know NOTHING else about this rig and for that matter any garden tractor. I'm not too green around small engines and will figure it out but if there was some place to look and get started on anything that would be helpful, I would appreciate it.

I don't even know how to install the deck...did I say I wasn't too green...:)

I also wouldn't mind knowing , at best guess , if the deal was decent or not.

I plan a "homeowner" rehab but more looking to just keep on using it as intended, for work.

Thanks

Toro.jpg

• Like 9

Ed Kennell

You stole that rig :ph34r:.       Garry will probably be here soon with links to all the manuals.

:WRS:

• Like 2

Adams94

Great deal i would say, but thats a 48" deck just saying, still stole it!.    :text-welcomeconfetti::WRS:

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat: But you will be so glad its a 48" when it comes time to swap it in and out. I think you are about 200lbs lighter with the 48 vs the 60. Your 88 wont run the 60" unless you swap in a swept front axle for it, but you likely wont need it. 

Nice find and great price! If you have a browse through the manuals section you can find all the manuals you could want. Garry will help out probably too. 

The surging will at the least require a very thorough carb cleaning. The onans are VERY picky about dirt. I put 2 fuel filters on mine, one larger micron filter back by the tank and a small micron between pump and the carb. After I spent two weeks getting my old one to stop surging I was not about to do that again!

Oh, and no you are not too GREEN you are RED now! :wh:

Welcome to the 'Square!

(Although if you are mowing all that grass behind you there in the picture, you may want to look into the upgrade!)

• Like 3

Jams
1 minute ago, bmsgaffer said:

:text-yeahthat: But you will be so glad its a 48" when it comes time to swap it in and out. I think you are about 200lbs lighter with the 48 vs the 60. Your 88 wont run the 60" unless you swap in a swept front axle for it, but you likely wont need it. 

Nice find and great price! If you have a browse through the manuals section you can find all the manuals you could want. Garry will help out probably too. 

The surging will at the least require a very thorough carb cleaning. The onans are VERY picky about dirt. I put 2 fuel filters on mine, one larger micron filter back by the tank and a small micron between pump and the carb. After I spent two weeks getting my old one to stop surging I was not about to do that again!

Oh, and no you are not too GREEN you are RED now! :wh:

Welcome to the 'Square!

Thanks for the help and correction on the deck...told you I was new!! HA  - I cant imagine hauling the 60 inch deck - this was heavy enough...

I planned on taking some time cleaning it up. Read a bunch on carb cleaning...any thoughts on soaking vs spray on tactics like Seafoam?

Thanks again  - proud to be RED even if just a lighter shade!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
37 minutes ago, Jams said:

Thanks for the help and correction on the deck...told you I was new!! HA  - I cant imagine hauling the 60 inch deck - this was heavy enough...

I planned on taking some time cleaning it up. Read a bunch on carb cleaning...any thoughts on soaking vs spray on tactics like Seafoam?

Thanks again  - proud to be RED even if just a lighter shade!

I had tried quite a bit of seafoam and it would just never do the trick. You have to disassemble the carb and manually clean all the spots you can, including the fuel orifices (tiny holes). Then I had to run it through a ultrasonic cleaner for quite a few rounds. (Cheapo harbor freight one, you can search it here)

When you are running new fuel line, take time and block off the ends when you are routing the last portion between the fuel filter and carb, this will save you much headache and you wont have to learn the hard way like I did.

While you have the top end disassembled for the carb cleaning, go ahead and adjust your valves while you are there and if you are really feeling ambitious get a couple new gaskets and decarbon the heads. It will saving having to do the process again later when these things need to be done. Also, pull the tins and clean up behind them. The 520's are notorious for gunking up the back cylinder, overheating and dropping a valve seat due to slightly less airflow from the belt guard being back there. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Sounds like Brandon has the basics covered. Get the models & serial numbers down and recorded for the attachments and you can search here in the files section for manuals. Just type the model in the search block upper right. the manuals will go thru step by step on how to attach implements. Also get the IPL's (illustrated parts list) and it will tell you what might be missing. Many times brackets & springs will not make it along for the ride on a new to me tractor. There is a nine pin connector from the engine wiring that you will want to inspect as well as the fuse block. Issues have been know to happen in those areas on machines not particularly well cared for and even some that are. Did someone already mention change all fluids? If not I am now.... some of us  run syn 10w30 in both the engine and hydro. Let us know if you need the correct/best filters to use.

BTW :WRS:

Edited by WHX9
speeling
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Please, do everything Brandon and Jim mentioned above.   

I will just add a few items.

1. If it still surges after the carb cleaning, clean it again.  I cleaned mine 3X before I got it.

2. While you have the tins off for cleaning, replace the gasket on the oil filter base plate. They are notorious for seeping and causing the grass to collect on the oily fins.

3. There is a rubber grommet to seal the oil filter to the tin. This improves the air flow across the rear cyl.

4. I believe venting the belt guard also increases the rear cyl. cooling.

KC9KAS

@Jams :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: I too would say you stole that setup, especially with all the attachments. I would've jumped on a 520 with only a mower deck for that price, so you came out alright:) Be sure and check out everything that the others have mentioned and you should be good to go. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...there are plenty of people here who will be along to help you out

• Like 1

can whlvr

up here that's a 1800 dollar deal

• Like 1

Digger 66
4 hours ago, Jams said:

I just bought a 1988 Wheel Horse 520H . Came with a 60 inch deck, single stage blower and tiller and chains for $400

:banana-dance::greetings-clappingyellow::banana-rock:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

Smokin good deal!

AMC RULES

Awesome :wh: score there...    :greetings-clapyellow:

thanks for saving me the drive up there.

:WRS:

Texas Todd

:text-welcomeconfetti::banana-ninja::rs:

Heckuva deal!!!

Gracie's Dad

They are right, that was a steal anywhere!!!  

R. L. Addison

Any one got a pair of handcuffs?

Jams

Thanks very much - I was looking for a place to start and you all gave me PLENTY !!!!

Pretty cool site - in 6 months I will let you know how the first mow went.....damn weather!

• Like 1

dlaw90

I was watching that one on craigslist but I was too lazy to drive all the way to the Burlington area to look at it. Congrats. I don't know much about the 520, but I believe there is a listing for engine parts for your motor on craigslist here in maine. https://maine.craigslist.org/for/5996868014.html. Hopefully you won't need any...

Ed Kennell

Oops, no links to CL permitted.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Jams :WRS:         I did not know they had Wheel Horse in MY HOME TOWN.  Every time I go up there for the LCI. I never see any [always looking] Good find good looking worker. Maybe we can hook up when I am up there for the Derby. Enjoy it.

TIGman

Awesome find !! :handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

Jams
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, Retierd Wrencher said:

Jams :WRS:         I did not know they had Wheel Horse in MY HOME TOWN.  Every time I go up there for the LCI. I never see any [always looking] Good find good looking worker. Maybe we can hook up when I am up there for the Derby. Enjoy it.

Yeah - I was looking for an old work horse. I wasn't necessarily looking for Wheel Horse but it seemed like a great deal. Talked him down $100 on the phone then another $100 when I saw it...he wasn't using it and his girl wanted it out of the garage...I think its worth the tinkering. I was a little bummed because he got it on trade and never used it, had plans but never did. He couldn't show me how anything attached. Gave me a box of parts and said good luck. Not that its was a basket case - the tractor ran ...just pulleys belts and some rod that looks like a guard. At $400 I will figure it out...You get into town to fish email me jamsb06@hotmail.com. Would love to have you stop in....I do however hope to have it running well by then!

Retired Wrencher

Will do I will save your E-mail.