PineBushJohnny

WH856 - Ball Joint issue

PineBushJohnny

I am new to anything mechanical and inherited a WH856 in pretty good condition when my Father in law passed. My daughter and I turned to this forum to learn all we can to get it in working condition. well low and behold you guys taught us so much and we cleaned the piston head, changed piston ring, cleaned valves, rewire, changed condensor, breaker point, spark plug, coil, ignition switch, fuel tank, fuel lines, throttle and choke cables and got that baby running. my wife was so happy as it is the only thing she has of his. Now we are in NY we get a major snow fall and I break out the WH856 with plow and am making short work off plowing but then wheels go cockeyed. the right hand ball joint assembly keeps coming off. how can I fix this? where can I get both left and right ones so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. while I am at it how do make sure there is enough lubrication in the transmission?

I am going to post pictures of the 856 soon. It is named after y father in law .... "Dominick da Plumber"

rigth ball joint.JPG

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Click on this :rs:vendors link...

scroll down the page, you'll find either the long, or short tie rods available as complete units.

Just measure your originals total length first before ordering.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/category-s/126.htm

:WRS:

• Like 2

PineBushJohnny

AMC Rules thanks so much for the quick response. I will measure them and order them today!!!

the 856 came with the plow but no mower deck. The tires are cracked but not so bad. The chains were on it when I got it.

WH856 front with plow.JPG

WH856 side.JPG

• Like 2

pfrederi

Temporary quick fix for your tie rods.  Take them off.  Put the ball back in the socket and then use a center punch to deform the edge of the tie rod enough to retain the ball. Put a bunch of dimples all the way around the ball hole.  I tried to paint the area in yellow just work your way all the way around.  You may have to cut away the rubber seal.

IMG_0116.JPG

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

In an emergency, you can clamp the tie rods in a vice and peen the area around the ball to keep them in place.    This can keep it working till you get them replaced.

And  :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

Oops, Paul is a better typist.:)

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

stevasaurus

Nice looking 856.  To check the oil in the trans.  Take out the little plug on the side of the trans (left?).  It will be a little more then an inch up behind the rear axle tube.  This is the fill plug.  If none comes out, stick a small screw driver in there and see what the oil (if any) looks like.  If it is clean, not caramel color, You can add 90wt oil until the oil starts to drip out that plug hole.  I like to remove the 2 bolts that hold the seat and fenders on...on top of the transmission...use a small funnel and add the oil in there.  If the oil is dirty and you want to change it, there is a drain plug under the trans.  It will take about 2qt of 90wt to fill it if you drain it all out.  If the trans is really dirty, you can flush it with diesel fuel once or twice and then fill with clean oil.  :)

There is a small hump in the bottom of the trans that will hold some oil when draining.  Jack the front end of the 856 up about 18" to get all the old oil out.

• Like 5

squonk

I've bought Horses with bailing wire holding the tie rods together. :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

clueless

30+ years ago some 200 MPH tape on my B-80 got me thru a couple of weeks of mowing before I had the part and the time to fix it.

• Like 3

953 nut
7 hours ago, PineBushJohnny said:

you guys taught us so much

My daughter and I turned to this forum to learn all we can to get it in working condition.

:WRS:    Good to see a family coming together to save a :wh: from a family member.

you guys taught us so much

None of us were born knowing how to fix them, we learn from each other, but thanks for mentioning it. 

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• msdhomeplans@gmail.com
      By msdhomeplans@gmail.com
      Hi I am trying to resurrect my fathers 1966 wheel horse lawn ranger.  I have gas leaking from the carburetor and I need a replacement.  I can not seem to find any accurate resources for the correct one needed. 

Here are the specs for the tractor.  I am also in need of a seat for it if you know which work for this model.  

Thanks in advance!

Model Number L 156
      Serial # 219222

Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger L-156
      Tecumseh H60 gasoline 1-cylinder air-cooled Displacement: 221 cc
      13.53 ci Bore/Stroke: 2.625x2.50 inches
      67 x 64 mm Power: 6 hp
      4.5 kW Starter volts: 12  

• WHX??
      By WHX??
      Portage show a couple of weeks ago I see this girl sitting all by it's lonesome on the auction block. I had first thought is was a bucket lister 855. Cardboard sign on it says consignment for auction so now have to patiently wait for auction tomorrow.
       Auction time comes and I see it's an 856... oh well I'm in love and committed and It's mine for 300 clams. I know Pullstart wanted to jump in just cause he's an auction junkie but didn't want to rain on my parade. Thanks Bro... I gave him the deck to ease his pain. Also had a blower and nice front blade with it but those were sold separate and I had no interest in it. Blower & blade heavy ya know... 

It sports a crude rattle can job but other wise complete & starts & runs great with no smoke.  Jacks boy @Coulter Caleb drove it back to camp for me.

Appears this tractor has come full circle here at RS 

K181 Full Throttle - Engines - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum
    • Texas Todd
      By Texas Todd
      I picked up an 856 out in Sweetwater TX a few weeks ago and pushed it on the operating table.

What I knew of it is what you see here. Have no idea if the engine is good or not. Drained the engine oil and it looked pretty good. For all the sand under the blower housing and trash in the toolbox and shifter area, I didn't have much hope for the condition of the trans oil.  In looking at the transaxle, I really figured the tran oil would be pancake batter.

It appears the leaking seal is on the brake shaft. The right side looks pretty good.  Interesting replacement for the belt guard. We will see if it functional.

The oil in the transmission looked brand new. Not the least bit of water from what I could tell. That was encouraging. I got every drop out that I could.

The key switch looked like it was off a 1969 Impala or something. I replaced with a spare WH key switch and started troubleshooting.  It was missing the coil so I took a spare. Also replaced the points and spark plug. The condenser was good.
      I was getting spark, but no fuel, It would fire with starting fluid. Removed the carburetor. P-U that varnish stinks. Dunked in Chem-Dip for about 20 minutes and blew it out. I need to find a gas tank for it, but used a small tank I have to see what I could get.  She fired and ran fantastic. Messed with the carb adjustments (not my strong suit) but got it running good enough to not worry about the engine.
      Next will be the transmission seals....and then I have to decide what I want to do with paint. Restore like the others or sand and clear coat as is.  I have some time to think about as the next few weeks will be busy with other things.
      If anyone has a tank or belt cover, please let me know.  I actually would prefer to put a plastic tank rather than the original metal, but let me know what you might have.
      I fiddled with getting the "Art Work" off with goo gone and it cam off for the most part.

How well do these 8 hp engines push a 42" front plow blade? We don't have much in the way of snow, but I could push some dirt around at my land....
      Will the standard 42" plow fit on these short frames? 

• Flatheadpete
      By Flatheadpete
      So I got bored Sat afternoon and decided to re-do the hood on grandpa's 856.  Started sanding and it was looking good.  All those layers of brush strokes helped preserve it.  Anyways....on with the pics.  Guess I'll have to do the rest now.

• Flatheadpete
      By Flatheadpete
      So Tues evening I spent some time prepping my tractors in anticipation of the snow storm that we got hammered with all day Wed and still today.  Checked fluids, filled fuel tanks, covered my Ford 9N (it sits outside) went in, slept like a corpse.  Wed morn, no snow!  By the time I got home from work (about 4:15....45 min for a 20 min ride) we had in excess of 10" on the ground.  Went to fire up the Ford.....turned over but no dice.  My 1966 856 fired right up and did the job.  It has yet to let me down.