Elkskin's mower junkyard

in need of a voltage regulator

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i found a post recommending a delco d-648 VR for a 702. i am just confirming is this the actual one for my 701. My Vr is bad and i want to make sure its the one

953 nut

From Brian Miller's site.     http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignelect.htm

New 12 volt, 15 Amp Voltage Regulator for Starter/Generators. If the charging system continues to charge with no "falling back" reading on the amp gauge (if installed), this will put too much voltage through the coil, eventually burning out the primary windings. Overcharging of the charging system could also burn up the electronic ignition control module (crank trigger), burn up the battery, burn out light bulbs, electric PTO clutch and any other electrical accessories. Replaces: Briggs & Stratton 295924; Delco 1118988; Gravely 7275; Jacobsen 107927; John Deere AM30078, AM11855; Tecumseh 32089. With terminals facing you, they read: L (Lights) | Bat (Battery) | F (Field), with A (Armature) on the bottom. L connects to the Lights (if equipped); Bat connects to the ignition switch, which connects to the positive + post on the battery; F connects to the Field terminal on the starter/generator; and Armature connects to the Armature terminal on the starter/generator underneath. The frame of the regulator is grounded to the tractor or equipment through the mounting bolts. NOTE: Cannot be substituted for use with the alternator/stator charging system.

• $42.00 each, plus shipping & handling.

Elkskin's mower junkyard
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

From Brian Miller's site.     http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignelect.htm

New 12 volt, 15 Amp Voltage Regulator for Starter/Generators. If the charging system continues to charge with no "falling back" reading on the amp gauge (if installed), this will put too much voltage through the coil, eventually burning out the primary windings. Overcharging of the charging system could also burn up the electronic ignition control module (crank trigger), burn up the battery, burn out light bulbs, electric PTO clutch and any other electrical accessories. Replaces: Briggs & Stratton 295924; Delco 1118988; Gravely 7275; Jacobsen 107927; John Deere AM30078, AM11855; Tecumseh 32089. With terminals facing you, they read: L (Lights) | Bat (Battery) | F (Field), with A (Armature) on the bottom. L connects to the Lights (if equipped); Bat connects to the ignition switch, which connects to the positive + post on the battery; F connects to the Field terminal on the starter/generator; and Armature connects to the Armature terminal on the starter/generator underneath. The frame of the regulator is grounded to the tractor or equipment through the mounting bolts. NOTE: Cannot be substituted for use with the alternator/stator charging system.

• $42.00 each, plus shipping & handling.

i do not see one that mounts on the s/g like original one does on the 701 listed on his site :(

Achto
2 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

i do not see one that mounts on the s/g like original one does on the 701 listed on his site :(.

Check this site http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm.

The part number your looking for is AHGDR6004 on this site. The price isn't bad either.

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
22 minutes ago, achto said:

Check this site http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm.

The part number your looking for is AHGDR6004 on this site. The price isn't bad either.

only issue is i cant cross reference that lol. i like cross referncing something like that so i dont end up with a headache later.

Achto
13 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

only issue is i cant cross reference that lol. i like cross referncing something like that so i dont end up with a headache later.

There were two regulators that were used on all Delco s/g's. Gen mount or remote mount should be all you need to decide on. Don't use a gen only regulator on a s/g though.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
3 minutes ago, achto said:

There were two regulators were used on all Delco s/g's. Gen mount or remote mount should be all you need to decide on. Don't use a gen only regulator on a s/g though.

well i ordered the d-648 this morning not thinking. i hope its correct one its got 4 terminals like the original.

Tell you what was so much easier to find the VR for my sears Suburbans than a wheel horse. in wheel horse parts break down i didnt see a number for the VR. all i did for my sears was google the Roper part number and cross reference it.

Achto

D-648 is the Delco replacement and will work just fine. When it comes to finding engine parts for your :wh: you need to use the engine manufacturers manuals.

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
27 minutes ago, achto said:

D-648 is the Delco replacement and will work just fine. When it comes to finding engine parts for your :wh: you need to use the engine manufacturers manuals.

one i bought is a NOS delco i found it on ebay with shipping was 28 bucks i was like heck if originals last a loong time then a replacement nos one should too. and i actually bought 2 chineese ones for the sub 14. i modified the sub 14 rewired the tractor put in a solenoid and newer switch then i went off of a diagram for a early model ss14 when i replaced the dash on it and added a cigarette lighter. well that was a little mistake i was running a safety light one night plowing snow and water got in there and needless to say almost cooked the battery and messed up the regulator. so knowing what happened i pulled s/g apart on it checked it out put new brushes in and bearings and replaced the vr. i got roughly 30 hours on it since no issues. take that back i had to replace the ignition switch midway through summer probably due to the water getting in cig lighter. but since then no issues lol its always stored in doors or under a tarp. since i got the 701 the sub 14 was kicked out of shed

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1