Sparky

Snow on the way!

T-Mo

You guys can keep the snow and ice up there in the northeast (extreme upper right of the continental United States for those map-challenged individuals).  We got a dusting yesterday and temps back in the teens after having 60s on Tuesday.  I got to plow snow once this year, and that should be my yearly quota.

dcrage
2 hours ago, T-Mo said:

You guys can keep the snow and ice up there in the northeast (extreme upper right of the continental United States for those map-challenged individuals).  We got a dusting yesterday and temps back in the teens after having 60s on Tuesday.  I got to plow snow once this year, and that should be my yearly quota.

I am hoping for ZERO times for snow removal for the year here south of St Louis!! So far so good. 

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Noon Update... now labeled blizzard in CT. Supposidely howling with 0 visibility and 45 mph onshore winds at shore. 

Tony

20170209_121147.jpg

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

2:00... looks like another hour and we can get into cleanup mode

Tony

20170209_135134.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Nice....Tony gets some seat time.

stevebo

Still snowing here in New Milford

Kurt-NEPA

We finally got a little snow in NE Pennsylvania.  About 7 inches.  I got a little seat time.

5_zps1twxxfli.jpg

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

Gotta love the 2stage and cab with the Onan singing it sweet music, Jeff.

13 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

We finally got a little snow in NE Pennsylvania.  About 7 inches.  I got a little seat time.

5_zps1twxxfli.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
21 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Gotta love the 2stage and cab with the Onan singing it sweet music, Jeff.

It sure is sweet music Jess.  Best set up I've ever had.  The 20HP Onan and 2 Stage was handling 20" drifts with ease and throwing the snow onto my neighbors lawn.

I love it.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I know what you mean the single tall chute does great on the 520s but the 2stage just a notch better :D.

Kurt-NEPA
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I know what you mean the single tall chute does great on the 520s but the 2stage just a notch better :D.

You are so right Jeff.  I have a single stage on my 88 520H, it does a fine job.  But my two stage is fantastic.  And once you have a cab, you'll never go back.

BTW, I put paddle extensions on the impeller on my two stage.  I highly recommend them.  It went from shooting snow 30ft to sending off as much as 100 ft.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

You are so right Jeff.  I have a single stage on my 88 520H, it does a fine job.  But my two stage is fantastic.  And once you have a cab, you'll never go back.

BTW, I put paddle extensions on the impeller on my two stage.  I highly recommend them.  It went from shooting snow 30ft to sending off as much as 100 ft.

Yes, did that to the one I got and rebuilt the fall of 2015 that I run on my bought new anniversary 520, plus greaseable lock collar bearings and solid stone deflector in the bottom section of the chute,here's the pic from last Feb here in VA, Jeff.

897_1.jpg

895_1.jpg

IMAG1705.jpg

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1703.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??

Here I sit broken hearted paid a nickel only far.....all it did was get cold here...I WANNA MOVE SNOW :( 

Wait till I do Jeff's upgrades and get my deuce rockin....... prolly only get dustings then :(

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes, did that to the one I got and rebuilt the fall of 2015 that I run on my bought new anniversary 520, plus greaseable lock collar bearings and solid stone deflector in the bottom section of the chute,here's the pic from last Feb here in VA, Jeff.

I did the cam lock greaseable bearings on the auger shaft too.  Highly recommended.  I also added a center brace from the frame down to the auger gear box.  It really cut down on vibrations.  I'll have to try that solid stone deflector, it might keep the snow going up the shoot better.  My driveway is paved, so no stone worrys there.  Also, I am running rubber chains.  So far I really like them.  But I have yet to try then on ice.

1 minute ago, WHX9 said:

Here I sit broken hearted paid a nickel only far.....all it did was get cold here...I WANNA MOVE SNOW :( 

Wait till I do Jeff's upgrades and get my deuce rockin....... prolly only get dustings then :(

I did my 2 stage rebuild in 2015.  I took almost two years for us to get some decent snow.  I've been really bummed.

Sparky

I was home alone so no action shots...but my Ariens walk behind and my "mutt" GT-1600 handled it just fine.

Mike....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I did the cam lock greaseable bearings on the auger shaft too.  Highly recommended.  I also added a center brace from the frame down to the auger gear box.  It really cut down on vibrations.  I'll have to try that solid stone deflector, it might keep the snow going up the shoot better.  My driveway is paved, so no stone worrys there.  Also, I am running rubber chains.  So far I really like them.  But I have yet to try then on ice.

I did my 2 stage rebuild in 2015.  I took almost two years for us to get some decent snow.  I've been really bummed.

I'd like to see a picture of that frame gearbox brace, had the solid deflector on the single it really does help "shoot" the snow up and out the chute, Toro actually offered it on the '97 and later models through the Xi's and still shows available on Partstree.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

WHX??
9 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I've been really bummed.

Thanks for the encouragement

1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'd like to see a picture of that frame gearbox brace

:text-yeahthat: When I get ready to tie into mine this summer you guys are gonna be first to get the call!

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA
8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'd like to see a picture of that frame gearbox brace, had the solid deflector on the single it really does help "shoot" the snow up and out the chute, Too actually offered it on the '97 and later models through the Xi's and still shows available on Partstree.

Pic of my frame to auger gear box brace.

Center%20Brace_zpslctvwekh.jpg

I'll have to check out that solid deflector.  Looks like I could fab one up.

6 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Thanks for the encouragement

:text-yeahthat: When I get ready to tie into mine this summer you guys are gonna be first to get the call!

It always seem to work this way.  If I delay mounting my blowers and cab, then we get dumped on and I'm out in the shop working in 20 degree weather.  Such is life.

When you are ready for the rebuild ask away.  This is a really rewarding project.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks for the brace pic ,looks like something extra to fab up this summer, and I made my deflector myself from a post here on RS on a single stage, Jeff.

• Like 1

WHX??
15 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

When you are ready for the rebuild ask away.  This is a really rewarding project.

Thanks Kurt that looks easy enough to make even for my limited fab skills! Does that sub plate mount to the bolts that hold the gear box halves together?  Is the stone deflector that piece of pipe in the chute?

As shown in Jeff's pics?

Kurt-NEPA
13 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Does that sub plate mount to the bolts that hold the gear box halves together?

Yes, that is what I did.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Thanks Kurt that looks easy enough to make even for my limited fab skills! Does that sub plate mount to the bolts that hold the gear box halves together?  Is the stone deflector that piece of pipe in the chute?

As shown in Jeff's pics?

Jim ,yes the silver pipe is the stone deflector, I made mine from 6" diameter exhaust tubing .080" wall thickness (probably overkill) but it can be bought already made from Toro, Jeff.

6786807573_a30c40865e.jpg

6786805659_e1430e2cd0.jpg

6786804393_95828da9ba.jpg

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Thanks Jeff,  Now I have another summer project.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

When I first moved in with my wife my FIL basically said that little red tractor wouldn't be enough to to move any snow, well the first big snow came and the single chucked it out of way then after I got the 2stage I haven't heard anything but praises, so all the little mods to these little snow chucker are well worth it IMO, Jeff.

• Like 2

stevebo

No pics or video but my 520 with 2 stage blower and cab did the job today around my entire house including up and down hills and around the barn. The key for me is the ballast box filled with rocks. It is a beast!

• Like 2