Duramax7man7

D-Series front axles....

Duramax7man7

Has anyone ever tried swapping out the front of a D-series for a 520 swept front end somehow?

pfrederi

Why?? You would loose the advantage of the forward swept axle

Duramax7man7

I'm saying put a forward swept axle from a 520h onto a D-series Tractor...

Duramax7man7

Anyone know if this would work? I'm looking at parts and it definitely seems possible. Might have to modify a couple of things...

Thinking that using some sort of bushings on the frame for a 3/4" pin for the swept axle and at most the steering bell crank might need a bolt on tie rod plate if there's a large enough difference in the inner tie rods. And if the tie rods cuffs are not long enough. Interesting.

Sarge

The extra weight of the D's engine line except the 16hp model would likely wear out a forward swept axle pretty fast unless it were fully bushed and reinforced somehow - that is a lot of weight on an offset axle design...

Sarge

Duramax7man7

That's a good point. I was thinking bushings as well. There is potential for an increased diameter of the pin hole without issue. But I would only think that the D-250 would be as of concern for that modification.

Am I seeing correctly that the D-250 is longer in the frame than the D-200 and lower?

pfrederi

D250 is a completely different animal than a D200  It was made in Germany by another company and rebadged for WH.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

OH I thought that it was just the French Engine (Renault 4 cyl.) that was different.

DennisThornton

The D250 really isn't even a Wheel Horse.  I think just the decals. 

Duramax7man7

Ah so better to get a D-200 for true WH Authenticity? That Renault really sounds good though! ;) 

pfrederi
7 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Ah so better to get a D-200 for true WH Authenticity? That Renault really sounds good though! ;) 

Until you need parts for it

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Exactly. Then the headache comes... Rather slap a diesel in one.

bitten

I dont remember what years the D had the thicker spindles, and I think they were on the D200 only. Most D's came with 1" spindles and the forward axle of the 520's has 1 1/8" spindles. I could see doing it if you needed the thicker spindles(front end loader)but might be just as easy to find the right D axle with the bigger spindles. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

I personally think that the Wheels on the D-200 and lower sit a little to far back. So it would be a bit for an aesthetic purpose but also for the function for the HD spindles being wider as well for more stability on angled cutting surfaces. Things like that.  Would be interesting to see what it looks like for sure.

Edited by Mastiffman

Sarge

Have you read the thread I did on modifications to the D's front axle for full bushings ?

Sarge

• Like 1

maxiblue

As far as the D-250 there is no problem getting parts for the engine, fuel pumps, starters, water pumps, generators, and distributor any thing else are easy to get. If you have a problem getting parts I would be happy help any one. That  Renault  845cc engine has been around from 1962 thru 199? .

Yes the tractor is some what larger and is metric and not interchangeable with other wheel horse tractors. only disappointing is the steering its not power, but will modify that this year.  

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, maxiblue said:

As far as the D-250 only disappointing is the steering its not power, but will modify that this year.  

Wonder if the tilt column with hydraulic unit from the xi series would work for you? I can get you a better pic of you think that might be something of father interest? Jeff.

IMAG0002.jpg

• Like 1

maxiblue

HI thanks for the idea, I have an electronic power steering unit out of a 2002 Saturn very compact no pumps or hoses. Will take picture and add it tomorrow .

this is electric power steering unit

elepowersteer1.JPG

Edited by maxiblue
  • Like 1