gcole

C-120 special?

gcole

Hey guys! I've had this wheel horse of mine for about 6 years now and I've always been curious if it's a common model or if it's more of a not so common thing? I understand that the only difference is they came with a Tecumseh engine instead of the Koehler correct? When I got mine the Tecumseh was long gone and had a princess auto engine on it. I've since updated it back to a k301. Just curios if any other members got these tractors! And of course some pics 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by gcole
  • Like 8

Racinbob

In 1974 and 1975 they made the C-120 with both a Kohler and Tecky motors. It could have been to offer customers a choice, offer a lower cost but it couldn't have been much less because they used the cast iron Tecky, or they just cut a deal on a batch of Teckys that needed a home. In any case they are pretty common and the tractor itself is identical. :)

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

My first :wh:, a C-120 w/ HH120 Tecumseh.  

IMG_1538.JPGIMG_1909 (640x480).jpg

• Like 6

SPINJIM

I also have a C-120 Special, but it was converted very early (maybe by the original dealer to close a sale) to a Kohler 12hp.  So I changed the decals to a regular C-120 because everything else is identical.   As Bob said, the 'Special' was probaly a little cheaper.   The C-120s were a very popular tractor because they had plenty of power to do most jobs, but were still reasonably priced compared to the bigger engine models.   As a result, they are fairly common, but still a good work horse tractor.  I have a heavy duty hitch on mine, and move my 3000 lb. boat around my yard.  They were made from 1974 to 1977 as the C-120 with a Kohler.

Jim

AMC RULES

I spy another :wh: calendar shot.  :greetings-clapyellow:

IMG_1538.JPG

• Like 3

Terry M

Saw this one a couple years ago.....Word was from this guy that Wheel horse ran short of Kohlers, so Tecumsehs were used to fill the void.

IMG_1247.JPGIMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1245.JPGIMG_1244.JPG

• Like 6

Racinbob

That's a good point Terry. I've heard that's how the 754 came about. They ran short of K-181's so they made some with a K-161. :)

• Like 3

marvins

That is my tractor and I have had it since the mid 80s. I used it  to mow for 10 to 15 years untill it  started knocking.  I put it in shed for about 15 years. I then got it out and had it restored. I have since found out there were only 200 to 300 of these with the tecky engine made. I have not seen but a few at shows. I am very happy with mine it turned out very nice and runs great.

• Like 6

refracman

Terry your right , Kohler went on strike and the 12hp became scarce. 

• Like 1

tbarnhart

They made C-160s with Tecumsehs as well.IMG_1397b.JPG

As I have the story, there was a strike going on at Kohler, and engines were in short supply. Wheel Horse went to Tecumseh to get enough engines to keep production up. In '74, the C-120 Auto and 8-speed were available with the HH120 and the C-160 8-speed was available with the OH/HH 160 ohv engine. In '75 the C-120 auto and the C160 went back to all Kohler power and the C-120 8-speeds with the Tecumseh were given the C-120 Special labels. As you see in my picture, the front of the hood is raised up to clear the taller ohv engine. Unique hood hinges for the '74 C-160 with the Tecumseh.

• Like 9

gcole

Now that's some intresting info! I didn't think aside from the engine there was any differences. Tractors an amazing worker. Maybe this summer I'll give it some loving with some paint 

• Like 2

elliot ness

Sweet C120 Specials, I never knew the existed. Thanks to all for the info.:text-bravo: