WHwest8597

C195

WHwest8597

Looking to get some information on C195.  The best years, the ups and downs of the model.  How rare are they and what a ball park price would one would pay.  This is my dream WheelHorse.

Pollack Pete

I'm not an expert on C-195's,although I have 3 of them.Things I have found out since owning them.Chintzy plastic fender pan.Hard to find front wheel bearings.Seat adjuster and seat mounting is a little fifferent than other Horses.Mule drive is a little different{has only one pulley}.On the plus side,big 15 in rear wheels.Comfortable for bigger people.Easy to work on like other Horses.Tons of power,and I mean tons.I'm sure others with more knowledge wll chime in.I paid like 3 hundred each for 2 kinda rough ones.I paid 1 thousand for a real nice one that needed zero work.

• Like 4

Adams94

My dad has owned one since about 1990 and from when it was new until around 2005 it mowed 4 acres every 4 days or so with the 60 in deck.  At around 1500 hours the engine was rebuilt(not cheap) but now it has around 2300 hours.  no major issue ever.  I bought mine last fall of 2015 and love it.  As far as prices, they are not excaclty cheap. Mine was 1,400-including 3 point, a 3 point disc,front 54" snow blade,rear wheel weights and a sleeve hitch brinly plow and factory option foot control.  Personally i think i did fairly well on price with all those attachments.  As far as the best years, i would prefer an 1984(more rare) over and 1982 because of the hydralic valve placement, but both dads and mine are 82's.  Love the c195s, just the biggest thing would be trying to find a rear fender.  Mine is not broken, dads is cracked in a couple places.  The hydros are strong and the engines are to, I love discing the garden with mine, the picture is of mine, it is also a snow pushing beast!

image (5).jpeg

Edited by Adams94
  • Like 9

WHwest8597

Anyone know the year.  Can't find Id tag

8880-MMS-1486408460000-attachment1-output.jpg

• Like 2

otrelwood

ive got 4 myself rumor says they only built a total of 884 of them  one of mine is the 84 with the higher mount hydraulic controls easier to use in my opinion 2 are repowered with 20 hp onans, bolt on project , one has swept axle and gear reduction steering, foot control motion pedal with different rear gearing making it a much faster machine its getting fitted for an ark 550 loader the tractor in the picture above is an 84 that's the higher mount hydraulics only installed there that year

Edited by otrelwood
answer question on above post
  • Like 1

WHwest8597

Found the tag.  0119KE02.  28089 How much would you offer.  Only has a deck.

KC9KAS

That tag makes it a 1984, as otrelwood stated.

WHwest8597

Tractor has 734 hours.

Aldon

Worth and starting offer in the negotiation are different things.

As Pete mentioned he paid ~ 1k for a decent starting point.

I am likely alone in this but IMO with deck it's a 1500-1800 value depending on condition of the deck.

• Like 2

WHwest8597

8905-MMS-1486408920000-attachment1-output.jpg

Aldon

It's missing belt covers and a Prior owner appears to have welded to the front. What you really need to ascertain is whether it is free and bearings in good condition. Bearings can still be bought. The housings and other parts not easy to source. 

With TH nothing to go by but the pics of the tractor and deck, I'd make a fair but low offer and negotiate towards the 1500 mark but everyone's value scales are different. 

refracman

It appears to be a fairly clean tractor. As for the worth it's on the higher range, if the motor is in good shape and the rest of it hasn't been messed with and no issues  it could be a fair price.

That's a 84 so it has the series 2 engine which is the better of the two offered on the 195. The 82 has the series one which can have oiling issues.

The deck is a Ariens so source your Parts thru them, they are still available. The only Wh parts on it is the hanger assembly. 

The attachments besides the deck are shared with the d series. It should also have the 3 pt on it all the 84s it came with it. 

The production numbers are approx 500 82/83 and 150 84s. 

they do clean up nice 

• Like 2

Adams94
6 hours ago, WHwest8597 said:

Anyone know the year.  Can't find Id tag

Nice tractor and being an 84 which I've heard there were 150-175 made that year-correct me if I'm wrong.  That tractor with the deck is IMO worth 1500-2000, not saying it will bring that but should be close.  There was a nice deck on here awhile back that came with a parts deck for $900 I do believe. The decks are fairly hard to come by seems like and the 60" on dad 195 was the best mowing deck of anything we have ever had.  I used it most if 2016 summer on my tractor and it mows like a dream, couldn't beat it with a new grasshopper.     Years ago dad had to have new spindles put in the 60". No longer available, so we had a local machine shop make them and with sealed bearing.  Has mowed a lot of acres since and no issues.

Edited by Adams94

Aldon

The C195 deck listed in classifieds is mine. 

Parts are not as easy to come by these days as they were a couple years ago. Although Refracman is correct as far as it being Ariens deck that Wheel Horse rebadged...

IMG_0202.PNG

• Like 2

refracman

Your right Aldon.  

It's been a few years since I sourced parts for my deck , man a lot has been discontinued since then. 

• Like 1

Aldon

NP.

3 years ago when I spruced up my previous 60 inch deck blades and several parts were still available.

I guess the existing stock has been exhausted for the most part.

I actually had to have the spindle spacer washers machined.

• Like 1

WHwest8597

The tractor I'm looking at has no rear PTO.  How common is that and how would that impact the price.

Aldon

It would add 2-400 more to price. Again, depending on condition of the drive shaft.

Some may not want to pay it or feel it's fair but it's a function of supply vs demand.

The rear PTO is a desirable option and are not too common.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

WHwest8597

The price on the tractor I'm looking at is $1300.

• Like 1

Adams94

Rear pto is all but impossible to find.  Wish mine would have came with it...but then it would take the fun out of finding one haha.

3 minutes ago, WHwest8597 said:

The price on the tractor I'm looking at is $1300.

That isn't bad for a nice tractor with a good deck with less than 1000 hours especially.    

My :twocents-02cents:

WHwest8597

Can you use any other WheelHorse mower decks on the C195

Adams94
45 minutes ago, WHwest8597 said:

Yes but the belt routing system is different because the frame mounted pulley is a v pulley for 60" and a flat idler for 48". But I tried all summer to get the right belt for a 48" and never did even through the original dealer dad's c195 came from.  The 60" drive belt is a double sided v and the other is just a regular v. Mounting is all the same if you figure out a belt.  I ran the 48" a few times with the wrong belt, you talk about power haha, would mow anything. They even have good power and speed on a 60"

Adams94

We have reproduction fenders made from fiberglass for these now

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:wwp:  :rolleyes:  :text-coolphotos: