C-121uk

Clinton B1260

C-121uk

Hi, I have just bough a Clinton B1260, does anyone know what is the difference between the B1260 and the B1290 and will the B1260 work in an RJ-58.

Thanks

stevasaurus

My book says those numbers come from the earlier way Clinton identified their engines...prior to 1961.  My book goes on to say...and I quote..." The early numbering system has no practical use to the consumer.  It is useful only when ordering parts and only to one who has access to a parts manual.  No other information can be gained from the model or serial number than what parts fit a particular engine."

With that said, both the B1260 and the B1290 are listed as 3.6 hp.  Check out this link in the Manuals Section.  Weight difference was 6lbs...probably because the B1260 has a reduction gear...it looks like the B1260 also has a longer crankshaft...B1290 (13 13/16)...B1260 ( 16 41/64).  The B1260 should work, but the longer crank could be an issue.  :)  Look at the 1960 page in the link.

• Like 3

C-121uk
11 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

My book says those numbers come from the earlier way Clinton identified their engines...prior to 1961.  My book goes on to say...and I quote..." The early numbering system has no practical use to the consumer.  It is useful only when ordering parts and only to one who has access to a parts manual.  No other information can be gained from the model or serial number than what parts fit a particular engine."

With that said, both the B1260 and the B1290 are listed as 3.6 hp.  Check out this link in the Manuals Section.  Weight difference was 6lbs...probably because the B1260 has a reduction gear...it looks like the B1260 also has a longer crankshaft...B1290 (13 13/16)...B1260 ( 16 41/64).  The B1260 should work, but the longer crank could be an issue.  :)  Look at the 1960 page in the link.

Thats great, thanks for that information. I did a little bit of research and I thought they were the same engine :lol:

• Like 1

meadowfield

my theory was correct then, lets hope we can get it running easily. We need to find a source of simple things like head gasket, etc...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Maybe PM @clintonnut (Charlie).  He and his dad are big into Clinton engines.  If charlie does not have the parts, he may know where to get them.  :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:think: If you know your part #'s...

bunch of NOS Clinton parts on Ebay.

• Like 1

C-121uk

Thanks everyone for the help! :)

WHX??

Being a Clinton fan my self here's a link to some more Clinton info  http://www.clintonengines.us/Home.html Parts lists & lot more good Clinton stuff there. I get my head gaskets & more from a guy in Idaho listed there.

Interesting download there Steve...buck 98 for that "new" dry type air filter! They are a buck with four zeros after it now!

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 3