Reel Mower Freak

Blade on a blower???

Reel Mower Freak

So I think I'd like to mount a blade in front of my blower for pushing snow sometimes. It would be a quick attach simple blade. I think I can use the spot where the wings would attach to the blower as I don't have the wings anyway. I know it won't angle which is fine. Can the blower mounting system handle the extra stress? I have electric lift also. 

Digger 66
16 minutes ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

Can the blower mounting system handle the extra stress?

I wonder if the spindles would start to bend ? 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Blade on a blower...why?

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Here near Canada I can't imagine not having both blade & blower but now I am scratching my head about having a blade ON a blower.   Maybe blade wider than blower? 

• Like 1

Reel Mower Freak

Just way easier than swapping out the blower for the blade. We had some wet snow today and it wasn't shooting out the blower very well. I turned off the auger and pushed some piles with the blower. I clean a long driveway which is easy but the parking area is 40' by 70' and I can shoot snow that far in any direction. After a couple passes I start getting into snow I blew over there and that's no fun. Thinking a poly blade would be a nice option to clip on the front. If it's foolish or won't work that's fine. I've had many worse ideas.

• Like 1

N3PUY

If I wanted both on the tractor at the same time I would think about adding a back blade.  

It would also balance the tractor.

• Like 5

Reel Mower Freak
4 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

I wonder if the spindles would start to bend ? 

So my blower didn't come with the attachment hardware and I built the flag and lift pole. I'm also using a solid steel bar for the front mount. I had to drill the frame a bit to get it to fit so it's plenty strong there.

2 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

If I wanted both on the tractor at the same time I would think about adding a back blade.  

It would also balance the tractor.

That might be a good option. Wondering how to lift it though. 

can whlvr

si if you arnt gonna use the blade hard it would work,but the front attachamatic is gonna take a beating and something eventually will wear,and I don't think no angle will be very useful but I also wouldn't let other opinions deter me to do do something that I think will be handt for me,and the lift heres a unit I built years ago,its primitive but if the blade isn't heavy it can be used from the seat,it does require a 2 inch receiver though,but once you have a 2 inch receiver you will want them on all machines,i geuss this is why lots of us have a few machines,no need to switch implements which is really a pain in the but,especially when you need to get the job done fast

20160220_163221.jpg

20160214_182319.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Just a caution on the front blade.   I would be concerned using a front blade if it did not have the trip spring.    You could be launched out over the tractor.

• Like 3

Reel Mower Freak
22 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just a caution on the front blade.   I would be concerned using a front blade if it did not have the trip spring.    You could be launched out over the tractor.

Thanks Ed. Driveway is all paved and I leave some snow on top at all times so my snowmobile doesn't wreck the driveway. I have my blower set at about an inch...maybe a bit less. I would do the same with the poly push blade.No steel edge at the bottom either.

• Like 2

MalMac

I do believe that your just opening a case of troubles. Mounting it to the blower is gonna just cause all kinds of stress points that were never thought of or intended through the design of the blower or mounts. Just seems like a very costly mistake your contemplating. 

• Like 2

953 nut
On 2/5/2017 at 9:24 PM, can whlvr said:

this is why lots of us have a few machines,no need to switch implements which is really a pain in the but,especially when you need to get the job done fast

18 minutes ago, MalMac said:

seems like a very costly mistake your contemplating.

Snow blowers were built to capture and direct the snow while the blower moves it. You NEED a second :wh: with a snow blade on it.

• Like 7

Sarge

Putting a blade on the nose of the blower will eventually bend the blower housing , as well as tear up the mounting points...not recommended .

Rear blades are really handy , just fyi..

Sarge

• Like 2

Digger 66
21 hours ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

I leave some snow on top at all times so my snowmobile doesn't wreck the driveway.

My neighbors must think i'm looped when they see me mashing down the snow for a "base" with the truck :)

• Like 2

wildman
On 2/5/2017 at 10:40 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Then gobbled up by the snowblower.True story

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, wildman said:

Then gobbled up by the snowblower.True story

We need more details Wildman.

• Like 2

WHX??
23 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

mashing down the snow for a "base" with the truck :)

Me thinks you need a trail groomer Digger:ychain:

7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

We need more details Wildman.

I'll second that!

• Like 1

Digger 66
51 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Me thinks you need a trail  driveway groomer Digger:ychain:

Fixed that :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

Reel Mower Freak

Well I guess I'll be getting busy with the C141 this year then. After a winter on the Raider I sure would like the hydro for blowing snow. I'll plow with the Raider when needed.

can whlvr

you will be very happy to have a blower machine and a plow,you can blow then final clean with blade,then blow the last windrow by just changing machines,in seconds literaly where as changing implements just doesn't happen,especially if its late and you just wanna get the drive cleared,and its nice to have options as the weather is crazy,one minute you need the blade,the next a blower,and also for breakdowns,you allways have a tractor to go to

• Like 1

BobbyD218

The gentleman in this video from I Save Tractors does nice work.  In this short video, he attaches a plow to his Ford with a front loader.   Yes, it's much more robust than having  a blower on the front,  but it shows what a bit of ingenuity can do.  He also has other videos; one with the actual build.....

• Like 2

LRE

I used to have a 520H tractor and one of the attachments was the mid mount grader blade. I sold the tractor and upgraded to a 522xi and a blower on the front. Then I thought that I have this grader blade laying around so I thought I would modify it to work on the XI so I installed it on the back with a Tach a matic on the rear axle and mounted the winch above the blade. Granted I don't have the ability to lift the wheeels off the ground like I did with the 520 with downward pressure but i can scape the drive clean of residual snow or very lite snows and then blow it away. This project was just finished so the jury's still out if it was worth it but my investment is not very big at this point.

IMG_0460.PNG

Sorry the video won't play but you get the idea

Edited by LRE
  • Like 3