WVHillbilly520H

Xi single stage thrower

WVHillbilly520H

Found an Xi single stage snow thrower still attached to a 520xi for sale as a package, contacted the owner asked if he would separate and sell and sure enough I brought home a "gently" 3 or 4 season used single, paint faded from setting out under roof only but looks solid and sounded quiet when engaged, PO left it attached to his tractor drove it up on my trailer unhitched and backed away couldn't have been easier on my back, Jeff.

IMAG2895.jpg

IMAG2894.jpg

• Like 6

bmsgaffer

I have a new holland version Im expecting to be in in a few days.

Looks like a solid piece!

I plan on repainting the chute and back of the auger with some high tech paint I found to prevent snow sticking and preventing rock damage.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Looks like my plan is working a single,a 2stage and snow plow on the 520s now a single and a plow for the Xi's and the front blade I converted over for my Kioti in WV...to keep it from snowing to amount to any thing :ROTF:, just wished it worked that way with the grass and leaves,Jeff.

26 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

I plan on repainting the chute and back of the auger with some high tech paint I found to prevent snow sticking and preventing rock damage.

BTW what is the "magic" high tech paint so the rest of us know for future reference?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sounds like the perfect deal Jeff.   A presale demo and loaded for free.   :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Wetlander made by wearlon. Its made for the bottom of airboats to reduce water drag and stop them from getting damaged on land crossings.  I can't vouch for it just yet, but as of next year I plan on having a plow, blower and mower deck coated with the stuff.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

A little salty at $75 / qt., but , if it works?

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

A little salty at $75 / qt., but , if it works?

I totally agree, but if it lasts like they say it does it would easily be worth it. I plunked down enough for a test run of the stuff, now if only it will snow enough next year to test it!

WVHillbilly520H

Most quality automotive paints with the reducer and hardener in any shade of red will set you back $75 or more for pints so that for a quart...but they now have "POR 15" that's UV resistant and other colors besides black so that may be another option especially for mower decks and snow blades, Jeff.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Most quality automotive paints with the reducer and hardener in any shade of red will set you back $75 or more for pints so that for a quart...but they now have "POR 15" that's UV resistant and other colors besides black so that may be another option especially for mower decks and snow blades, Jeff.

POR-15 is one of my other favorite products. I was actually planning on a base-coat of por-15. The one thing I have noticed with it though is that it is not very resistant to a constant wear like grit and snow up a snow blower or grass under a mower deck. It looses its gloss pretty quick. I have no guarantee that this stuff will work a whole lot better, but its supposed to so I will give it a whirl. 

I did not know that they have UV resistant POR-15! Where have you seen that, I would be very interested. 

Jerry77
19 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

prevent snow sticking

Farmers paint there gravity wagons with a product called  " Slip Plate " available at farm supply stores - we used it on shaker conveyors in the aluminum industry to prevent material from sticking to the steel....worked really well. Grey in color and use a brush to apply it - you can apply a new coat over it without removing the old...it should last a long time on a blower chute...:twocents-02cents:

WVHillbilly520H

And colors too...

Screenshot_20170206-115501.png

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I was looking at that, but they still mention using a base coat of regular POR-15 for a "permanent barrier to corrosion". 

I was always curious to see how far off "safety red" is from WH red. Im guessing pretty far off.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Two alternatives that I am considering are: a workable gauge of stainless steel sheet; or 1/8" (or less) UHMW. A few European snow attachment companies make their chutes from SS. I think an 18 gauge sheet of SS should be be bendable to line the contours of the chute. The auger bucket should be easy enough to line with it as well.

Yamaha, for example, uses a plasticized lining on their metal snowblower chutes. It is not as workable as SS sheet but would accept abrasion well.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Bead blasted and fresh paint with sno-jet coated chute and auger housing seems to work just fine for me especially now that I'm on an asphalt drive but at least we have options, I'm really thinking the POR 15 for the underside of the mower decks especially the neglected ones I got last year both less hours than my bought new anniversary 520 but in worse shape haven't seen under the 60" yet and the Xi 48 not much better than the last 2 520s,Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

dlaw90
On 2/6/2017 at 1:10 PM, bmsgaffer said:

I was looking at that, but they still mention using a base coat of regular POR-15 for a "permanent barrier to corrosion". 

I was always curious to see how far off "safety red" is from WH red. Im guessing pretty far off.

Did you end up finding any info on the safety red color? I'm considering it for a mower deck 

bmsgaffer
3 hours ago, dlawrence529 said:

Did you end up finding any info on the safety red color? I'm considering it for a mower deck 

I never purchased any of the safety Red.

Just beware: Prep is extremely important on a mower deck. Preferably sandblasted down to bare metal. IF you don't prep well, the POR-15 will eventually come off in sheets. 

Also note: the por15 is not abrasion resistant. It will start to wear out very quickly, so I would suggest some very durable top coat or high gloss paint that you reapply often. 

I have yet to try my wearlon coating (i need a very good shape deck to consider putting $75/qt paint on it) but I don't hold high expectations for any other coating. My suggestion is to just clean it up regularly and coat with light oil or regular paint and just expect to recoat yearly. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
8 hours ago, dlawrence529 said:

I actually used Rustoleum Safety Red (tall cans) on my windshield frame for my cab. I didn't like the black that the windshield came in and came very close to matching the red vinyl cab pieces. It is much lighter/brighter than the Toro Red and much lighter than Wheel Horse red.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have used the TSC Majic IH RED on my 2stage rebuild and the underside of the mower decks, the 2stage still looks today like it did Oct/Nov 2015, and as for the mower deck unless it's either powder coated/POR 15 after a good bead blasting and then top coated I don't think much will stay on in that environment, as I have bead blasted my anniversary 520H deck and painted before mowing 2-3 years ago primed and painted (TSC MAJIC) but by end of mowing season most of the paint was gone, Jeff.

• Like 1

Xearl

Jeff ,Nice score !   Ed

WHX??
On 2/5/2017 at 1:08 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Found an Xi single stage snow thrower still attached to a 520xi for sale as a package, contacted the owner asked if he would separate and sell and sure enough I brought home a "gently" 3 or 4 season used single, paint faded from setting out under roof only but looks solid and sounded quiet when engaged, PO left it attached to his tractor drove it up on my trailer unhitched and backed away couldn't have been easier on my back, Jeff.

IMAG2895.jpg

OK I know this is an old post Billy ......but I have a problem with "drove it on and unhitched" What the xi couldn't have stayed hitched up? You know dang well about havin a tractor for every attachment :ychain:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

OK I know this is an old post Billy ......but I have a problem with "drove it on and unhitched" What the xi couldn't have stayed hitched up? You know dang well about havin a tractor for every attachment :ychain:

Jim I bought it for the Xi's I had (523Dxi and 520xi) but alas the Dxi was just to costly for me to continue and found itself another home about the same time the eMax showed up, and I also begrudgingly sold the 520H with bagger and the single stage I had to fit those to a coworker in need of a new steed, then the 520xi with 48" snow plow that single stage 48" deck and a few extras last month, still have my bought new anniversary 520H with the deuce and cab and the "good Friday" 520H some I'm good, Jeff.