oldlineman

Is it big enough

oldlineman

Hi all I just bought a NOS 48" SD for my 1989 414-8 which I have always used a 42" SD deck on. I believe the Kohler 14M HP will have plenty of power to run the 48" deck. What do youall say, will it labor the 14M too much or will It have enough power? Not sure what WheelHorse recommened for this tractor.As always thank you for your thoughts. Bob

squonk

I think it will be fine! :) I wouldn't mow foot tall grass with it but normal mowing shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 5

pfrederi

You should have no problems... i was just reading the manual for my Charger12 and one of the listed attachments was a 48" deck.  That is 12hp and a hydro so your 14 gear drive is more than adequate.

• Like 2

oldlineman

It is a strong 14M around 900 hours no smoke and gives me no problems, I mow regular so grass is not too tall. I thought It would be ok, I have a 1979 c101-8 that has ran a 42" SD for years without any trouble, and that is only a 10 hp . And thank you for your thoughts!

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 1

clueless

The C101-8 will run the deck.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

A co worker had a 48 on a 312-8   no problems.

daveoman1966

I had a '76 C-120 auto with a 48" deck and it was fine.  Just keep the blades SHARP and the spindles GREASED.  

• Like 4

evanloock

Considering the 953 with a 9.6 hp Kohler used a 48 inch deck....you should have more than enough power.

• Like 2

DougC

Was not sure what I was in for when I opened this topic..............

I agree with the others. Mowing normal grass length with your big 48" should be no problem.    :)

• Like 3

Aldon

I've run a 60 inch deck on my GT14. So the 14 HP Koehler can handle a Hydro, heavier tractor and the resistance  of slighter more rotating mass. A 48 deck should be easy for it.

• Like 1

clueless
29 minutes ago, Aldon said:

I've run a 60 inch deck on my GT14. So the 14 HP Koehler can handle a Hydro, heavier tractor and the resistance  of slighter more rotating mass. A 48 deck should be easy for it.

Nuff said!

Tankman

The Horse'll will run a 48" SD deck just great.

Mow grass not hay fields. :laughing-rofl:

can whlvr

I own 2 414,s and have 3 48 decks and they will turn the 48 easily,n deeper grass is no problem

tunahead72
4 hours ago, DougC said:

Was not sure what I was in for when I opened this topic..............

You mean like this one?

• Like 1

Racinbob

Just to chime in with the others here, you'll be fine. I ran a 48" on a GT1100 (11hp Briggs) for many years with no problems at all. :)

oldlineman

Thanks everyone for your input, yea I guess I could have had a better topic name:text-thankyoublue: did'nt mean to confuse some!