maxiblue

Best wheel horse built

maxiblue

This may be a dumb question to ask, and I'm sure there will be a lot different answers to it but here it goes. ( its winter I sit here looking out the window thinking):ROTF:

1 = What is the most/best collectable wheel horse.

2 = The better all around wheel horse

3 = Hardest working/ heavy duty wheel horse

4 = Most unique wheel horse

I am sure there will different opines on this, there is no wrong answers,

I only have one type of wheel horse tractor and I really don't know much about any others.  

• Like 5

Jerry77

I bought a 1996 314-8 new that I used for 15 years with normal maintenance ( oil changes and grease the zirks ) I worked it like a borrowed mule and then parked it because of hip issues ( opted for a riding lawn mower) and then gave it to my son a couple of years ago - it is still going strong with no issues  -  made    super    tough.....just one tough well made machine....mower deck still without rust issues...( I did keep it clean ).......:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

• Like 1

clueless

Mid 70's C160 Auto.:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:. One day I'll have one.

• Like 4

RandyLittrell

I have a 1277 with a loader that I truly like. But I tend to like old iron. I am sure some of the newer tractors have much better features. The 520's seem to be very popular! 

Randy

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Here are my pics

1. best collectable  has to be a SENIOR

2. best all around   C-160

3. hardest working  .. my 520 blower w/heated cab, foot control. chute control, and the EATON 1100

4. most unique  ... the 7 slot grills

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

jellyghost
4 hours ago, maxiblue said:

This may be a dumb question to ask, and I'm sure there will be a lot different answers to it but here it goes. ( its winter I sit here looking out the window thinking):ROTF:

I am sure there will different opines on this, there is no wrong answers,

I only have one type of wheel horse tractor and I really don't know much about any others.  

I am still a new member of red square and the hobby, but I have wondering about the same questions.  After hanging out here for a few months, here are the impressions people have given me.  Please correct/improve these impressions!

1 = the Senior then the RJ then anything else with a round hood.

2 = GT14, C160, 520H depending upon who you ask.  An affordable one with a front loader is my personal answer.  This is a difficult question because the design didn't change much after the mid 70s.

3 = The biggest D series tractor from the 70s.

4 = The Senior or one of the cool modified ones.  The black hoods deserve an honorable mention.  I really like the stretched tractors with tiny engines.

Edited by jellyghost
  • Like 2

ACman
5 hours ago, maxiblue said:

#1 - senior , then 420LSE 

#2 - 520H , C160

#3 - aren't they all seeing how many are still worked everyday !

#4 - BIG BLOCK short frame square hoods (my favorite)

• Like 4

953 nut
6 hours ago, maxiblue said:

Lever sreet Sr.

312-8

For me it has to be my 953 worker

The Fire engine that just sold on :techie-ebay:

1 WH.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Tankman

Hard to say, my first Horse, 40+ years ago.

Current go-to's, 414-8, 416-8 and our 520-8. Like the 520's swept axle.

Christian_Plowing.jpg

520+Wagon2.jpg

• Like 7

jellyghost
3 hours ago, ACman said:

What is this model?

• Like 1

Lee1977
6 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

What is this model?

My guess would be 1257, 1267, and 1277, I don't own any that old.

I would say the C-160 is the best simple electrical, built tough, lots of power, and the easy to get to the lift shaft. The 300, 400 and 500 series are a pain to attach to the lift. And the C-120 is the same tractor with 4 less HP.

• Like 4

JAinVA

I have to agree with the previous post about the later c series the 3,4 and 500 tractors.I had a C120 that was as tough as nails and the newer ones are great machines but they are difficult to get the lift system.Good reason to have more than one with dedicated attachments.Just saying,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

Tankman
8 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I have to agree with the previous post about the later c series the 3,4 and 500 tractors.I had a C120 that was as tough as nails and the newer ones are great machines but they are difficult to get the lift system.Good reason to have more than one with dedicated attachments.Just saying,JAinVA

More Horses, dedicated "chores".

Goin' on 70, if it snows, last years Horse still wearing its plow. Mow? Deck's on, been ready all winter. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

Bonacker

They are all good But i like my 87 -310-8 its not the biggest but its very dependable 7 years hauling fire wood pulling brush pushing snow blowing snow and mowing its never once let me down

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher

I would say if it is Red and it has the name Wheel Horse on it that is my pick.

• Like 4

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat:     :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Interesting thread. Maxi is right, there are no wrong answers. I think most would agree that the mid 70's C-series are the best combination of design simplicity with the 16hp getting the nod since it was the largest engine at the time. The 76 B-80 converted to C-160 is still going strong today although I don't own it any more (but hope to one day) and I can attest to the enormous amount of work it's done. The electrical systems became more complex in later years due to the safety devices so they can be more prone to issues there. I have to chuckle at those who mentioned it's more difficult to get to the lift on the 3-500 series. Oh...it's very true but it really just proves how spoiled those of us that have had the older models are. Someone who has only experienced the later model would think it's a snap compared to other brands. :)

Sarge

Tough choice between the 1277 that's been beaten like it was stolen , and the '74 C-160/'73 16 Auto ...I have all 3 . But , as far as brute strength - my D-180 . Wish it were a D-200 w/cutting brakes and 3pt ...but I can add those things and am hunting for parts . I prefer the simple ones , not saying the later models weren't as good - they are and in their own right they live up to their name's legend . 

For looks , that 1277 has an odd elegance about it ...

The Auto/C series had a somewhat ugly hood , but sort of a boxer/bulldog look to them that clearly means business .

The D , well...just as ugly as an old Mack , but just as much as a brutal worker with no equal .

I do prefer the older ones prior to about the late 70's - in my opinion simple is better...

Sarge

• Thanks 1

ACman
22 hours ago, ACman said:

18 hours ago, jellyghost said:

What is this model?

I'm not a expert...just enough to be dangerous :) ! Starting in 1965 the ponds stuffed a 10hp engine using a special oil pan , generator brackets and small air cleaner on a short frame with a square hood but still had the round fenders = 1045 . That same year they introduced the first hydro = 1075 they had square fenders . In 66 the models were 1056 and 1076 . I don't now if they offered a 12hp in those years but these tractors used the same hood and frame as 6 and 8hp models . In 67 and up the big block tractors (10hp and up ) got a longer frame and hood . Like I said I'm no expert so please chime in if I explained something wrong or have additional info please as I'm still learning myself .

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Great question and of course there is no correct answer because it is SO open ended,  but of course that's why it a great question for this forum!  

I'll attempt an answer by pointing out what I think were ground breaking offerings by Wheel Horse and let others comment. 

953/1054

Gt14

D series 

C-195

xi series 

And a mention of the 260/270 series

I must add 2 more cents for the newcomers, skip all of these and buy a "Classic",  early B, any C, any 1 1/8" axle 300, 400 or 500 because they are great machines, bargains and parts and attachments are plentiful! 

50 years plus, still strong and many will be around when I'm long gone. 

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

bmsgaffer

I am with many in that I don't have a favorite other than the one I am most attached to, the blackhood. 

I think the XI's are the most beastly offerings by wheel horse even though they werent the prettiest or the biggest (3 cyl diesel offered stock!). If you take one apart down to the frame you will understand. The weigh in over 1000 lbs dry. 

Any 8 speed with a horizontal shaft kohler is a solid choice. (Others are reliable, this combination is the most reliable) which accounts for a WHOLE BUNCH of classic series tractors easy to buy and lots of spare parts.

Get the one you like the best for looks as under the covers many of them are exactly the same. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pgiro

As far as value and rarity, what about the C-161 that was made in 1978 & 1979 before they went to the black hood style?

They are similar to the older C's with some of the improvements of the newer tractors. The gas tank was moved to the back as in the newer tractors.

I had heard that these were one of the more desirable tractors due to being a transition between the old and new style and only being made for 2 years.

• Heart 1