maxiblue

Best wheel horse built

Racinbob
45 minutes ago, pgiro said:

As far as value and rarity, what about the C-161 that was made in 1978 & 1979 before they went to the black hood style?

They are similar to the older C's with some of the improvements of the newer tractors. The gas tank was moved to the back as in the newer tractors.

I had heard that these were one of the more desirable tractors due to being a transition between the old and new style and only being made for 2 years.

Excellent tractors. On the downside for me and some others they had the 'shaker' mounted engine. I had a 1979 C-141 and hated that mount so I made solid spacers to replace the rubber mounts. That style mount didn't last long which tells me Wheel Horse probably got a lot of negative feedback about them. :)

TDF5G
On 2/4/2017 at 4:04 PM, wildman said:

I would have to say the red ones are the best.

:text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell
52 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Excellent tractors. On the downside for me and some others they had the 'shaker' mounted engine. I had a 1979 C-141 and hated that mount so I made solid spacers to replace the rubber mounts. That style mount didn't last long which tells me Wheel Horse probably got a lot of negative feedback about them. :)

Exactly, as Bob says.

I have also had starting problems with the tractors that have the lower fuel tanks under the seat.   If the tanks are not kept full, the fuel level is below the inlet to the fuel pump allowing them to become air locked.  If the pump check valves are not drop tight, over time the fuel leaks back into the tank causing hard starting. 

These pumps have very poor suction capacity if they lose prime.

The good news is this problem is easy to solve by filling the tank before starting, adding a fuel shut off valve, adding a primer bulb, or adding an electric fuel pump.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I was really enjoying this thread and wish it would fire up again.  

I really love all my Wheel Horses but there is certainly a BIG difference in the XIs!  Power, ride, power steering, cruise, Smart Steer, rugged frame and axle yet overall just seem more refined to me.  Just a joy to drive around even as a yard tractor!  And don't underestimate the bigger 200 series!  I'm quite fond of my 264-H!  I would not hesitate to grab one and any attachment for them and put them right to work!  No power steering though!

Cee245

I can only comment on my personally owned/used to tractors... 

@DennisThornton,

I mostly agree with you,

I have a 98 520xi for mowing our camp w/o p/s so I don't know how much better it is.

I know that I don't like "smart steer" where it slows down when turning... but

MY favorite is still the 416-8 mostly because it was dad's. And survived me and my brother beating on it for 1100 plus hours. 

6bg6ga

Anytime the word "best" is used there are bound to be hundreds of possible answers of which none of the answers are wrong. I'll sum up my opinion. "Anything that runs."

Uncle Buck

what bmsgaffer said here." Any 8 speed with a horizontal shaft kohler is a solid choice".  While I like the 8 speeds better I would include those without the 8 speed as well.

• Like 1

midpack

My current favorite is the 417-8.

i believe it would fit in the "rare" category since it was only made one year,1986, it came with a louvered hood and electric lift.

8 speed with a power lift? best of both worlds IMHO...  :) 

• Heart 1

dunk50
On 2/4/2017 at 12:37 PM, squonk said:

How does the C-165 H compare with the C-160 1980 Wheel Horse C 165 Hydro 16hp Kohler W/42” Rear Discharge Mower

Edited by dunk50
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher

1. Has to be red.

2.Has to run.

3.I like the Start/Gen tractors.

4. Not a fan of 80`s and up. Sorry just my :twocents-02cents: I like the term K-I-S-S.

SylvanLakeWH

The one you're on...

:)

• Excellent 3

Blasterdad
8 hours ago, dunk50 said:

How does the C-165 H compare with the C-160 1980 Wheel Horse C 165 Hydro 16hp Kohler W/42” Rear Discharge Mower

Both are great ! :thumbs:

23 Reo

I've had an 84 C-165 8 for many years. It is the easiest Horse I own. I just maintain it well and run it. It may not be the best but it is a darn good one.

8ntruck

I'll agree with @SylvanLakeWH.  The one you are using on whatever job you put it to work on.

• Thanks 1