George Washington

Wheel Horse Value

George Washington

Is it okay to ask for opinions on value on this forum?

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

It is OK to ask, but we need pictures and a good description of the tractor and its condition.

I know of two RJs for sale....one is $150 and the other is $3600.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 7

Mike'sHorseBarn

I love the engineering on that muffler! lol :ROTF:

That tractor is very nice, but to me not $950 nice. With that being said, location does matter and if they are uncommon in your area that may be reasonable. In my opinion the C-160 was one of the finest tractors that Wheel Horse ever made. With that being said, the value is strictly what you are willing to pay and I think for the most part, that is what anyone here will tell you. Again, the machine looks pretty clean and straight except for the engineered muffler! lol Just my :twocents-02cents:    Let us know if you get it!!

• Like 9

Ed Kennell

IMG_1534.JPGIMO, the C-160 is the best WH made, and that one looks and sounds like it was maintained well.    I would feel better paying $7-800, but with the working tiller ?

The Sundstrand trannys can be a weak link.      I test all the hydros I buy by strapping them to a tree and make sure they will spin the tires in forward and reverse.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 8

Tankman

Looks very nice. Hold $800 bucks out, you might have a deal. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: George in case I haven't done so already. I would think that might worth 950... try to put together that stuff at a big box or even a dealer for that kind of coin. Not gonna happen. I'm with Ed on the 7-8 but yes your area and it appears maintained. Do the hydro test if seller permits.

I was gonna say something about the muff but you beat me to Mike! Maybe the PO is a pipe fitter?!?! :lol: How about a nice stack!

Yes let us know if you score and :wwp:

Oh my you just had to edit  that calendar shot in there didn't you Ed! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 6

George Washington

is the $700-$800 figure just looking at the WH itself with no tiller? If that's the case im pretty confident that I could flip the tiller for $200 this spring making the WH with deck $750

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

If that tractor is your first and you want to mow with it, a 36 inch deck is very small for a 16HP Kohler. It will pull a 48' all day long. Depending on where you live, tilling gardens in the spring might help finance a bigger deck or perhaps something else you may want.

• Like 3

dcrage

Isn't that a 42" deck. It for sure is NOT a 37" (37" doesn't have belt gaurds). 

• Like 4

George Washington
6 minutes ago, dcrage said:

Its a 36 inch deck - I actually measured it while looking it over - I would eventually get a bigger deck though 

• Like 1

George Washington
1 hour ago, dcrage said:

the deck is a rear discharge - im not sure if that makes a difference regarding the belt guards or not

WHX??
4 hours ago, George Washington said:

flip the tiller for $200

I was thinkin that George but supposed you wanted it for the tiller. You might get more than 2 franklins for it again depending on your area. When I got my 520 it had a Peco lawn vac bagger on it I knew I would never use so threw in on CL and had to wait awhile for a buyer but eventually a lawn care dude came along and offered me 400. So that brought the price of the tractor, tiller 48"deck, sno blower AND front mount generator down to a good deal level. Not great but good.

With the money you save you can get another tractor put the 36 incher on it and use it for a trimming mower, and then another tractor just for tilling and then another horse for......:huh:

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Lots of good thoughts here   but i am with Ed...The big thing for me would be a hydro stress test.  I like my Sundstrands I have 5.  But I will not buy another one without having the chance to get it hot then put it up against an immovable object and see if she will spin here wheel on pavement.  Or dig herself into the dirt.  i didn't do that on my D200 and have spent  a lot of time and money getting her right.

No stress test and my offer goes down....way down.  if he will not allow it what is he hiding....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, dcrage said:

I'm with Dave....That sure looks like a 42" deck.

Just curious, what hitch does it have to lift that tiller,  a slot or clevis?

The $950 is more than I would pay, but I only paid $150 for the 160 that I posted above. Obviously I repainted it, reupholstered the seat and added new decals.

Having said that, It is a super nice well equipped tractor.   The lift cyl and valve is worth $100, tiller $200, deck, $200, hitch $50.  

So $500 for the tractor sounds pretty good.    Put a two foot stack on that big thumper and you'll think you are mowing on a Harley.

Like Paul says,  the hydro is the big concern on these  tractors.

• Like 4

squonk

A big thumper with that pancake. Must be a loud sum**** ! :)

• Like 2

wildman
7 hours ago, George Washington said:

Is it okay to ask for opinions on value on this forum?

For a small fee anything is possible 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, squonk said:

A big thumper with that pancake. Must be a loud sum**** ! :)

Squonk I did not know you spoken "Southern"

• Like 2

can whlvr

it defininatly is not a 42 deck,like  George said its a 36,which is small for a 160,but they are nice tractors,i have a hydro and a an 8 speed,love them both,but I love all the rest too

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

George to bad you live so far from me .I found a c160 here with plow and rototiller. $500.00 . That's how it works sometimes .I have a C160  and you'll have a hard time finding a better tractor. I snow plow with it only and all the power you need. There Great tractors.

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

to bad you live so far from me .I found a c160 here with plow and rototiller. $500.00

Too bad I live so far from you, that sounds like a great deal.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
Just now, 953 nut said:

Too bad I live so far from you, that sounds like a great deal.

The same guy I got the 1054 from has a decent c160 with rototiller on it and a snow plow. I just can't can't can't sorry I got a studder. Wife would not understand why she can't park her new car in the garage. 

• Like 2

Aldon

Assuming you can get 150 out of the tiller, that makes it a 750 tractor. Here in the Upstate NY, it's rare to see a C160 go that low. As the other experts have said, you need to test the Hydro. If it's good, I'd make the leap. But I'm partial to the K341's.

• Like 3

maxiblue

I guess I will put my two cents in. first good wheel horse tractors here in New England are not cheap, and if you find a good deal take it and run. second if you are looking for a particular wheel horse  like this C160 then I would check it out completely and it passes then I would try to bargain with the owner again. Last you can tell him if he would come down on price to call you (I have done that some times it worked) or if you want it badly enough then pay the price (I have done that too):ROTF:   

P.S. If you work it hard enough that it pays for its self then you would have got your moneys worth.

• Like 1

evanloock

"It has a new battery and newer after market seat."

That is the original seat and arm rests that came on the C-160 Auto's.  It has just been recovered.  

• Like 1