Sign in to follow this  
TT

Potential 704 purchase....

TT

I'm currently "dealing" with the owner of the 704 that just ended Jan 12th on ebay. (reserve not met)

It has a real nice ST-3072 snowthrower that's included, and a big and scary HUGE Sears-looking seat. What do you guys think? :D It's only about 40 miles from my house, and I can't decide if I want to dig the trailer out and make the trip. It can be bought for $300.00 cash, but I'm having a tough time convincing myself that it's worth it. (If it was a 754 or even an 854, I could probably justify it.)

704-2.jpg

704-1.jpg

combatmp29r

I don't know Terry, thats a long haul, and I'm not coming over to help lug it up the stairs. That seats gotta weigh a ton. :D

On a seriouse note I'd say its a good deal, but its not my money you'de be spending either.

WheelHorse_of_course

I dunno, but I have to think the blower alone would be worth $200.

What condition is the engine?

How does it fit your herd? Do you have anything that small? Do you currently have a blower horse?

CasualObserver

I'd say ****** that puppy up! ditto.gif on that blower being worth a good portion of that... to me anyway!

BPjunk

Terry,

I did not realize you live so close to Williamsport, Pa.. :D

I also saw the ebay listing but did not ask the reserve. I would be interested in the St-3072 snow blower if you bought the set up and wanted to part with the blower. :P

The 704 is kinda' hard to find and the 604, 654 and 704 was the only models to have the long slanted hood stand (1964 Lawn Ranger had it too), the 754 and 854 were just like the 63' models with the up right hood stand.

Here is my 704 doing what it does best .... he he he :(

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1200622175.jpg

Rollerman

Terry I'm kinda partial to the 704's with there sleek hood stands & no electric start.

Gives them a nice clean look! :P

I have 1 & would take more.....but I'd ****** that one up for that price. :D

Heck if you didn't like it I'm sure you won't lose any money on it.

TT

I dunno, but I have to think the blower alone would be worth $200.

What condition is the engine?

How does it fit your herd? Do you have anything that small? Do you currently have a blower horse?

WHOC, (Rolf, right?)

To the right person, and depending on the condition, I have made myself believe the snowthrower could be more valuable than the tractor it's mounted on. I wouldn't go $200, but probably 3/4 of that. (if you could find someone who wants one that's willing to pay that for it.) That's more or less the reason why I'm interested in the combo, but would gladly accept the tractor as part of the deal. :(

According to the seller, the K-161 "starts and runs great". He is only selling it because he has too many. (which I believe -- other pictures show lots more)

Model-wise, it would fit in between my 753 and my 854. Space-wise, I have no idea. :P (I also have too many, but would rather expand my enclosure area or even hang some from the ceiling before I'd sell a good round hood.)

I have several "small" tractors. Currently I have a 400, 401, 701(X2), 502, 633, 753, 854, and an L107 Lawn Ranger.

My "blower horse" (and I hope I never actually have to use it for that!) is a 1990 416H. I have a 42" snowthrower buried in the far corner of the shop, and prefer not to dig it out. If the 48" dozer blade can't clear the snow, my farmer neighbor can DIG me out with his Gehl skidloader. :D

T-Mo

I would go with the consensus there and say, go for it. But, as it was mentioned, it's not my money here. You laid out a few reasons why you wouldn't buy it, but there are some good reasons why you should. Ultimately it's your decision. :D

Sparky

I would go for it as long as the cash is available. If you just bring it home and store it inside it wont loose any value. I'm thinkin that in a few years tractors of this age are gonna be harder and harder to find and that in, lets say 5-7 years, you wont be able to find one in that shape with attachments for $300.

I think ya cant loose.

Mike..........

Brrly1

Terry If the money is available and it's not really gonig to hurt the Horse fund, I would drag back to the barn and not worry about sleeping. It should come very easy. I would in a split second. Throw it on the trailer with the 20 others you are bringing to the show and I will give you the 300 they are asking no problem

Burly :D

WheelHorse_of_course

Terry,

hard to pass up a round hood, though it does seem you have several in the same general class already.

There is just something about those round hoods..... :D

Somebody should buy it at that price :P

Rolf

Stigian

I have to go along with everyone else here, go for it :D:P

If only i could buy that set-up over here for $300 or

TT

hard to pass up a round hood, though it does seem you have several in the same general class already.

There is just something about those round hoods..... :D

I have several of them 'cause they're my favorite style! :P

I don't think they could have designed them any better, and that includes functionality AND looks. I've always been partial to the "alphabet" Farmalls, and the round hood Wheel Horses remind me of them. (heck, they even wore the IH red paint! :( )

If the seller ever gets back to me, I'm supposed to be going to look at it tomorrow (Sunday) morning. I'll be taking the 5' X 10' trailer so I have some extra room in case he has some more stuff I can bring home. :(

T-Mo

I'll be taking the 5' X 10' trailer so I have some extra room in case he has some more stuff I can bring home.

That's the thinking. Might as well make the trip real worth while. :D

combatmp29r

Terry, you sure you dont want to call your buddy and take the 40 footer? :D

WheelHorse_of_course

Have fun!

TT

Terry, you sure you dont want to call your buddy and take the 40 footer? :P

I don't think I'd need something THAT big, Joel.

Even if the guy has enough stuff to fill it, I don't think he'd be willing to let it go for the small amount of money I would be able to offer him for it. :D

TT

OK, gang...... it's official. :D

The rendezvous time is set, and the guidance system is locked on the address. At 0800 hours tomorrow, the Ford Exploder and the 5X10 wagon will head north. Hopefully it will come back home with something good -- and yes, I'll get pictures. :P

combatmp29r

So how did it go?

TT

Well......

How about a 1962 702 with an HY-2 hydraulic lift (missing 4814 belt guard), a 1964 704 with an ST-3072 (thrower is very quiet!), 2 spare 6.00 X 12 Goodrich tires mounted on WH rims, 4 P/N 4421 footrests, 1 RM-364 mower deck, and 3 Kohler K-161 7hp engines in "various levels of completion"? :D

I pretty much cleaned him out of his "I need to get rid of this so I have more room" stuff -- It cost a little more than double the intial price, but I think I did OK. :P

12008003.jpg12008004.jpg

12008007.jpg12008006.jpg

12008002.jpg12008011.jpg

12008005.jpg12008008.jpg

12008010.jpg12008009.jpg

combatmp29r

Very nice :D

I like the front tires on the 702 by the way. :P

Rollerman

Looks like a good Wheel Horse hunting safari to me. :D

Nice finds with both tractors & the HY-2 kit.

Are the lights on the 702 bolted to the hood....or is that the HY-5 light mount with differant lights?

Terry this guy seemed to have a tghing for those weird seats huh?

I'll get a thread going here in a bit on my haul today...... :P

T-Mo

It looks like you had a good round up of horses and accessories. Nice haul. :D

combatmp29r

Terry, that your cub in the background?

Stigian

Thats a very nice haul Terry, worth the extra money id say :D

Not sure on the front wheels on the 702, they might be a tad on the small side :P