oliver2-44

WH 520XI for sale near me? What to do?

oliver2-44

So I'm going to ask the WH "Lions Dens" opinion on this one?

As the story always goes I was searching 'that for sale site", usually looking for that rare old round hood and I came across this ....1997 Model 520xi Toro Workhorse, Number 73540 Kohler 20 hp, engine, Eaton 11 Hydro, 2 speed Uni-Drive® transaxle with a hydraulic lift 52" Side Discharge Mower. Seller is asking $600 and is selling due to moving from larger property to a small property across the country (He is the 2nd owner and has maintenance receipt's back to 2002 when he bought it. Last fall it had +$300 of service, (belts, blades, engine & transmission oils & filter changes. It runs good, no smoke, and has a few paint scrapes and the hood bottom front piece is broken, seat has cracks, tires seem good, Eaton transmission seemed to work OK but I did not get to get it hot and spin the tires with it against a tree,  deck appears solid, reportedly garage kept.

I really don't need a 52" deck and would end up putting my 42" on it.  I'm a little concerned about all the electronic circuits on it (I sort of like the simplicity of my older 312 and C-160)

I have a John Deere LT150 :text-imsorry:as my mower tractor that I could sell to my sister and almost be no money out of pocket. I've only physically seen one of these, so I'm a rookie on these later model WH's!  I 'm on the fence of why this one interest me, so here's my questions:

1. Am I correct it does not have the "swept front axle"?  (I've read most 97's do not)

2. It does not have power steering....would I regret that?

3. Am I correct that my current attachments that fit my 1985 312-8 (42" deck ,long frame doze blade, grader blade, and tiller) will fit this tractor (since they fit all 300, 400, 500 series tractor)? 

4. WH are somewhat rare in my area which means there usually a little pricier, but they all do show up for sale over time. So if I want a newer model should I be holding out for power steering and a swept front axle?

5. Yes I have the WH addiction, but do ya'll see anything in the pictures and price that I'm missing

97 520-2.jpg97 520-3.jpg97 520-4.jpg97 520-5.jpg97 520-8.jpg97 520-1.jpg

97 520-6.jpg

• Like 2

Irv

I'd jump all over that, even if I didn't need it! And no, your 42" deck won't fit. XI series attachments mount differently than 300-500 series.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

While you are racing over to buy it (or why aren't you?)  do note:

classic attachments do not fit and "xi" attachments are much harder to locate. 

Some of the 20hp Kawasaki had a plastic cam gear that disintegrate.  I don't have access to the year & serial right now but I'm pretty sure that yours is not affected. 

I thought all the 520xis had power steering!  Pretty sure only the classic style 520s has a swept axle but you're most likely referring to the reduction steering that some had.  Never heard of the "xi" s having that.  If indeed it does not have PS then don't ever ride one that does.  It is wonderful! 

The "xi"s are not only physically bigger but in my opinion a big step up from the classics.  

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

My first words are: Buy it!  This actually a 1998

This 520xi is one of the five 5xi models offered by Toro Wheel Horse. I have a 520xi .along with a 518xi and 523Dxi. There was also a 520Lxi that had a water-cooled Kawasaki engine and power steering. The one downfall is that only the attachments made for the 5xi fit so your other Wheel Horse attachments won't fit. You won't be able to attach your 42" deck. I'm not sure how the widespread the marketplace was in your region for these tractors. It may affect finding other attachments, but they are out there. The plastic valance is probably cracked on 75% of these tractors. There actually is a sturdy steel bumper behind it.

1. Am I correct it does not have the "swept front axle"?  (I've read most 97's do not)

All of the 5xi models have a 52" wheelbase with the swept axle and a refined steering reduction system. It does have what they call "Smart Turn" which automatically, through a mechanical linkage, slows the tractor while turning. It was intended to keep the tractor from flipping if the operator had the cruise control engaged. 

2. It does not have power steering....would I regret that?

Two of my three do not have power steering. I actually find them to be more precise in driving. My Dxi has an additional 100 pounds on the front axle because of the diesel engine so I'm glad that one does. It is just personal preference.

3. Am I correct that my current attachments that fit my 1985 312-8 (42" deck ,long frame doze blade, grader blade, and tiller) will fit this tractor (since they fit all 300, 400, 500 series tractor)? 

The dozer blade may possible be able to be adapted but i am pretty sure the others won't without a lot of rework. The 52" is a good size deck for this tractor.

4. WH are somewhat rare in my area which means there usually a little pricier, but they all do show up for sale over time. So if I want a newer model should I be holding out for power steering and a swept front axle?

I wouldn't hold out considering the price on this one.

5. Yes I have the WH addiction, but do ya'll see anything in the pictures and price that I'm missing

Just check the hydro like you mentioned.

Good luck and post any other questions.

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

If you could be no money out trading that green thing fgor this beast its a no brainer... you should already be on your way. 

As mentioned above, any 300,400,500 series attachments do not fit the XI series (even though they too have a 500 number.)

41 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Some of the 20hp Kawasaki had a plastic cam gear that disintegrate.  I don't have access to the year & serial right now but I'm pretty sure that yours is not affected. 

I thought all the 520xis had power steering!  Pretty sure only the classic style 520s has a swept axle but you're most likely referring to the reduction steering that some had.  Never heard of the "xi" s having that.

This has a 20 HP Kohler as its a 520xi not a 520lxi, no cam gear issues but no power steering. I dont think you will miss it without having any super heavy front attachments as they have a very good steering mechanism. 

• Like 2

Adams94

Seems like a steal to me! 

• Like 1

WHX??

Last pic on the right Ollie looks like there might be some oil on the RR wheel from a leaking seal?? Pic next to it doesn't show it so maybe nothing. That deck looks to be a beast!  Good luck if you should snag it.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Thanks for the info. It kind of hurts that my attachments won't fit as I've finally acquire the main attachments I've wanted.

I've always been confused when I read "fits 300,400,500 series.  So am I correct that my attachments would fit a 520H, but not a 520 xx  etc.

I'm feeling other attachments for it will be really hard to find around here!...Tough decision time.

(I think my wife is OK with the tractor, but a whole new set of attachments probable wont fly)

WVHillbilly520H

I have 3 520H's and I'm hard pressed not to say they're my favorite but I also have 2 5xi's a 520xi like you're deciding on without power steering and a 60" deck after I brought it home in November I tried it out it steers just as easily if not better that the 520H with a 48" deck and also a smaller/tighter turning radius then of course shaft driven 2 range Eaton 11, better attachment lifts (if you can find attachments) and I hear the 52" is just about the best quality cut of the decks, my other 523Dxi ($800) I bought non running but in the process of correcting that so I haven't gotten to see the difference in non vs power assisted steering, have you pulled the engine shields to check for oil leaks the Kohler commands seem to be bad for? Other than that go buy it,Jeff.

Yes B,C,3,4,500 attachments are all pretty much interchangeable, but the 5xi and 260 series are of a different design and it's just not your area even here where I live the xi series isn't around, even though I know where a N.O.S. unsold 522xi is still setting at my original dealer in WV,Jeff.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

If that is a good running tractor, it is a 1500.00$ machine around here.

Hours????

• Like 2

obone

I kind of like it when people like you ask these types of questions. Makes me laugh a little. You know what everyone is going to say. GO GET IT NOW! But not me. I'm only going to ask WHERE this diamond is... Nah just joking good luck.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

It has 516 hours and the hour meter appears to work!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

So I'm going to ask the WH "Lions Dens" opinion on this one?

do ya'll see anything that I'm missing.

Just the BOAT, if you haven't bought it.

4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Let's just say my 520xi with 60" deck clevis hitch and 1100 hours set me back twice that asking price and the paint isn't as shiny as that one, if you want the "Cadillac" of :wh: lawn mowers the xi are the ones and keep the classics for all your acquired attachments as I have a single stage and 2stage blower, cab, snow blade, tiller, 3 48" mower decks and a vacuum bagger for the 520H's ,then just the 48" and 60" deck and snow blade for the xi, with the possibility of a single stage thrower coming soon, Jeff.

• Like 3

can whlvr

wow,only 6 bills,up here with that little of hours she would be 2500

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Thought you might like to see pricing from back in '99 when it was new, and the N.O.S. ,Jeff.

IMAG1739.jpg

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1738.jpg

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Thank you for all the good information an I especially thank you for your support during my time of  increased addiction. 

It was hard, but I passed on this tractor.  I realize it was a great price but xi attachments are just not found around here. Yes I could have bought and resold it for a profit but ...Also a tractor to put a loader on is high on my list and I realized power steering is a high loader priority as I'm not as young as I used to be

Thanks again, it was a good learning lesson

Let the flogging begin 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
7 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

If you could be no money out trading that green thing fgor this beast its a no brainer... you should already be on your way. 

As mentioned above, any 300,400,500 series attachments do not fit the XI series (even though they too have a 500 number.)

This has a 20 HP Kohler as its a 520xi not a 520lxi, no cam gear issues but no power steering. I dont think you will miss it without having any super heavy front attachments as they have a very good steering mechanism. 

Oh indeed!  I missed that "L"!  

WHX??

We get it Ollie......ever consider moving??? And not by @Racinbob...worse down ther I hear! Guess as  the song goes gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em. 

• Like 1

Racinbob
6 hours ago, WHX9 said:

We get it Ollie......ever consider moving??? And not by @Racinbob...worse down ther I hear! Guess as  the song goes gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em. 

Ya thunked there's any other reason for wanting to move back to northern Indiana? :)

9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Thank you for all the good information an I especially thank you for your support during my time of  increased addiction. 

It was hard, but I passed on this tractor.  I realize it was a great price but xi attachments are just not found around here. Yes I could have bought and resold it for a profit but ...Also a tractor to put a loader on is high on my list and I realized power steering is a high loader priority as I'm not as young as I used to be

Thanks again, it was a good learning lesson

Let the flogging begin 

I really can't blame you for passing on it Jim. The XI series intrigues me and must be great by all the things I read and hear about them but the attachment thing has always been a stopper for me too. I must say though, that seems like a smoking deal. :)

• Like 1