jeff lary

Single Stage Blower Broken Chain

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Motor cycle chain lube

Chains do not stretch they or the spockets may wear  making them loose but they do not stretch

So when I put ALL new sprockets and a chain and set the initial tension then used it for snow removal for the first time and checked tension afterwards and it was loose  it was because my ALL new sprockets had already worn? Or when I install a new chain on my power saw and it gets slack after first use same thing? Even though the manuals say that after initial use to check for correct tension as the chain will "stretch" some ,as in the pins will wear in their mating holes and settle to a longer overall length IE "stretching"...

• Like 1

jeff lary

ya ok

I have owned all manner of chain driven equipment at least as far as I am concerned all my chains stretch . My motorcycles my chainsaws all (20 of them) even my chain driven Farmi Winch all my chains have, are, or will  stretch or have stretched. Bull dozer tracks excavator tracks all chains that I have ever encountered stretch.

• Like 1

lynnmor

You can expect some slack as the new parts wear in.  When adjusting a chain, rotate the sprockets and adjust at the tightest point as they often don't run true.

• Like 2

jeff lary
10 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You can expect some slack as the new parts wear in.  When adjusting a chain, rotate the sprockets and adjust at the tightest point as they often don't run true.

I have never been told this before it makes perfect sense ! Thanks for the tip I can see how that could make a world of difference .

wildman
17 hours ago, jeff lary said:

Here are a few pictures, I have had the old dealer gather up the stuff but I will record all the information in the above post that is good stuff to know. I wonder if it is possible to put on a sprocket in the wrong position? What I mean is the chain may be in one sprocket perfectly but the chain rollers may end up on top of the next sprocket's teeth? I wonder if they are indexed by the use of a keyway ?if not I guess I can install all the sprockets and the chain then when everything is meshed well I can make the set screw connection to the shaft. You can see in the pictures where the plastic guard got broken and the slot for the chain to pass through the housing got torn . The entire chain ended up wound up in a gob right where it normally pass's through the housing thus tearing the housing some.

DSCF0374.JPG

DSCF0375.JPG

DSCF0376.JPG

one more photo well..... I guess not , I am not allowed to up-load any more. Now is that for this post or forever?

OUCH! same thing happened to me this year

• Like 1

jeff lary
16 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I have never been told this before it makes perfect sense ! Thanks for the tip I can see how that could make a world of difference .

I know it, wouldn't you think that all the room / space there is around this assembly a broken chain would just fall out? Nope it sat down and had a meeting with the gods of unnecessary damages and decided to wad up and brake stuff instead. But ya know what," I have the tools and the cash" I will prevail!

• Like 1

lynnmor

I have been using my 2 stage for the past 6 years and leaving the single stage in the shed.  This year I mounted the single stage and the idler bearings came apart immediately despite being covered with chain oil.  I guess operating in that harsh environment some water will get in and stay there rusting away.  I bought a pair of sprockets on an auction site that were solid steel and the bearings appeared to be much better, the only negative is that they are pressed in with no positive containment.

jeff lary

I have not seen the replacements yet they will not be in till late Monday I guess

Duramax7man7

Interesting... The same thing happened to me yesterday... but I went to engage the PTO and it took all of 2 seconds for the BANG! And my chain did the same thing...

Here is the break point on mine.

20170202_164823.jpg

But right here I see cracks in many links... Old chain...

20170202_164834.jpg

jeff lary

I will have to look at mine more closely when I get out to the shop next time. My son is coming over today to help me lift the blower onto my work table.

jeff lary

My son just came over and we put the blower on the work table in my shop. He had an idea and I think it is a good one,

He suggested that we may want / need to replace the auger sprocket as well plus the auger blade edges are really dented up and rough. That being said we got to thinking that if we run into any problems this winter tearing down and rebuilding we may regret having it all apart in the winter when we need it most. For now I am going to just replace the chain for now and in the spring when I take the blower off for the summer I will do the rebuild then. If I need to replace the auger sprocket and then weld the new one in place,.. I cannot weld in my shop as it has a wooden floor so I do my welding outside and summer is the best time for that.

My next question is how do you remove the auger from the housing if I have to? It has 4 nuts on each end on the housing and a square plate under them the nuts are connect to welded in place studs? from the inside. Do you just remove the 4 nuts and square plates on each end of the outside of the housing ,..and then does auger just come out?

WHX9 posted the info needed for the auger sprocket if it needs to be replaced  ( thanks for that btw) I have TSC and a Motion Industries shop near where I work.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

The nuts come off carriage bolts the square parts have the stub shafts welded to them that the inner part of the auger bearings run on and are usually rusted fast to the auger so lots of persistence and persuasion is needed to free them from one another (pry bars and BFH) then anti seize when re-installing, as far as the auger I did the best I could in straightening with hammer and dolly and a big crescent wrench before removing it from the housing then used an angle grinder and file to deburr and smooth sharp edges, and after I got the auger out I carefully used a die grinder to cut off the factory welds off the sprocket (after taking dimensions from end of auger shaft) then bought a sprocket of the same O.D. and tooth count but had to bore out I.D. to "slip fit" onto auger shaft and welded back together, hope this helps, Jeff.

IMAG0416.jpg

jeff lary
10 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

the square parts have the stub shafts welded to them

So the square like 3x3 plates have to come off the outside of the blower housing correct? So you remove the nuts and then pry the square plates off the ends of the housing. Now they( the short stub shafts) are usually rusted to the inner tube of the auger itself. The stub shafts are welded to the square plates? I think I got it ha ha

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Yes sir that's the short of it, now you might get lucky and it simply comes apart or like in my case lots of few choice words, sweat and determination,Jeff.

jeff lary

Thanks I will have a few selected phrases ready just in case. If it can come apart miserably I am positive it will. Is there a type of rattle can paint that is close to W.H red? I bought some Farmall Red one time to spray an old chainsaw I had been working on. It looked really good, I bought it at T.S.C. Thanks for all the advice I am hoping to collect parts tomorrow and do the repair in the spring/ summer.

On another note when I posted the pictures here I had one more to post , but I got a message that my limit was 4 gb I think? Is that 4gb per thread or 4gb forever? Or maybe you don't know, I thought when I got ready to do the job I would take some photos and maybe post em up is why I ask. Thanks Jeff

WVHillbilly520H

The 4g pic limit is for member/non supporter the $20/yr supporter price helps keep the lights on and pictures uploading for all the :wh: junkies like us or you can go through some of your older post and delete pics from them to add newer ones or add pics to photobucket then link to that or $20 and basically unlimited photos...and on the paint I have used the TSC Majic spraybomb IH Red on the single stage above and the 2stage in 2015 with decent success but others here like Rustoleum Regal red and I see that ace hardware has there version in IH red right next to the Rustoleum, and Krylon is hit and miss, hope this helps,Jeff.

• Like 1

jeff lary

Thanks it does maybe I will go back through and delete some photos.

Duramax7man7

I really like Rustoleum Sunset Red... if you look at paint on tractors and attachments that havent seen much sunlight or under things like plastic covers on say thing like the plow angel adjustment handle or under the seat on the seat pan, the Sunset Red by Rustoleum looks really good! 

jeff lary

Thanks when the time comes I will get some.

jeff lary

I just typed a nice post and the idiot I am I lost the whole thing. Oh well this one will be about 80 sentences shorter to read. I got the parts and put on the 2 new idlers and the new chain. I added to the center auger flats where the auger flings the snow up the chute. I had added rubber to these last winter and it stopped the chute from clogging all last winter up till the chain broke a couple weeks ago. This time I replaced the rubber with steel this time I do the to close up the gap that exists when these flats in the center of the chute spin close to the housing. Now the tolerance is about 1/8 inch instead of maybe 3/8 inch. Then I sprayed everything with "Fluid Film" this also helps keep the snow from sticking to all the interior parts. The new parts came to $351.00 I know I could have bought some of this stuff cheaper in other places but I did not I have been busy and just needed to get the parts. I figure the blower has about 1200 hours on it in the last 22 years that comes to $16.00 per year blower maintenance costs. It may be a little more as this is my second chain I think.

• Like 1

jeff lary

The boy and I took the blower off the work table today and re-installed it on the WH. It seems fine when I bump the pto lever so we will see when we get some more snow, bty it is snowing now so it wont be long. There was a weather forecast while I was out in the woods on the Kubota I guess. The wife said it will snow upwards of 2 feet on Monday. Just what I need I am trying to get some firewood cut and there is already 16-20 inches in the woods now. Every weekend I go out and break out my woods roads again to keep them passable but 2 feet will put an end to my woods operation. It is hard enough now to get around ha ha Old, Fat, and lame that's Me.

Ps. How do I go back and delete phots so I can add more in the future? I went back to the photos in this thread but I do not see an "edit" button? Also I went back through some of my old posts that are no longer active but there too I do not have a way to delete he older photos? Thanks for any advice but ...make it simple ha ha

bmsgaffer
On 2/11/2017 at 0:48 PM, jeff lary said:

Ps. How do I go back and delete phots so I can add more in the future? I went back to the photos in this thread but I do not see an "edit" button? Also I went back through some of my old posts that are no longer active but there too I do not have a way to delete he older photos? Thanks for any advice but ...make it simple ha ha

I would strongly ask that you do not do that. It will remove all past photos essentially ruining your older threads. A couple cups of coffee will keep you uploading as many photos as you could ever want while leaving your old photos around for everyone to reference in the future (very helpful!) 

One year is cheap: 

Two years is the best deal:

Everyone's financial situation is different, so I understand fully if you just are not able, but it is a great way to repay this forum if you are able. :handgestures-thumbupright:  

:orcs-cheers:

jeff lary

Well I'll be honest I belong to 7 other forums all very informative just like this one,.. but none of them ask for money. I will not delete my post phots as I agree strongly with you the photos and questions I posted, and replies I received  may help someone else

Can I afford 20 bucks ? sure but the whole credit card info sent off to a place I know nothing about worries me some. You must try to understand I just worry about un-authorized people getting my card info and buying stuff like a new "John Deer perish the thought " with it ha ha. Maybe I will try to find a way to send $20.00 in a check or something? I am sure all involved are great folks but it is the not so great folks we all need to be aware of , and they are out there trying to find a way to steal you information. We had our card info stolen a couple years ago , someone bought 2 first class round trip tickets from Ecuador to Peru. We were lucky and the card company did not hold us liable, but I does make me think some. I just bought a chainsaw form one of the other sites I belong to ,the guy had pay pal which is super safe I guess but I sent him a check instead. Just old fashioned in some things I guess.

• Like 1

82Caddy

You could always use another photo hosting website that is free.  Flickr, photobucket etc are an option as well. 

I'm on multiple forums as well and I use Flickr for my photo hosting.

jeff lary

I have heard of doing this, I am ok on the computer but no wiz either ya know? Do you just go to Flickr and make an account? the slide some pictures in there?