Sign in to follow this  
noncritical

engine cooling

noncritical

A couple of questions last summer while at a garden tractor pull they were selling small electric cooling fans for for small garden tractors i was wondering how well they work has anyone tried them here and what temp should a 12 hp kohler be say when mowing or tilling thanks guys :thumbs:

poodle

I was thinking of adding one to my 1056 I hope some one has some knowledge on these I love to know how well they work to!

TT

The electric fans for the puller engines are only needed when the cooling fins are not on the flywheel. (either removed to lighten the rotating mass/reduce air drag, or when using an aftermarket billet flywheel)

These engines are factory-engineered to provide sufficient cooling in all conditions through the use of the flywheel fan and the matching blower housing and air shrouding. As long as all of the factory installed pieces are there, you don't need an auxiliary fan. You do need to clean the debris screen on the flywheel and the cooling fins on the cylinder and head on a regular basis.

Rideawaysenior

I agree with TT on this one. The only thing I have ever found that could use cooling was the hydro on the D series tractors. They did come with a factory installed option of a cooling fan for the hydro pump that ws thermostatically controlled. Other then that, I really don't think these Kohlers would be lasting 30+ years in original condition if they ran too hot. You also want to be very careful with the cooling too. If your block is too cool, this will affect the viscosity of your oil. Not so much a problem in the summer, but think of how thick your oil is when you start your machine up in the winter. It's like molasses. Just stick to what the Wheel Horse engineers did and take care of your machine like recommended and it will last for quite a long time.

TT

Good advice, Jack! :thumbs:

I'd also like to add that optimum engine cooling is achieved when the engine is operated above 3/4 throttle. NEVER "lug" an air-cooled engine by trying to work it below 3/4 throttle.

These engines are governed and are designed to be operated at that speed.

This also pertains to the the hydro transmissions. They were designed to turn at a certain RPM for maximum performance at proper pressures. They are partially fan cooled and need that air moving to stay "alive".

noncritical

OK i see now why they had them thanks fellas for the response. Normaly after each use and the enigine has cooled i take my air compressor and blow the grass and debris off