pfrederi

Sundstrand parking Pawl Issue..another one

pfrederi

Ground down parking pawls (either the notched finger like pawl or the plain bail style) are all to common in Horses with Sundtrands.  my charger 10 was no differ net.  I welded up eh bail style and reinstalled it but realized right away that even disengaged it was dragging a little on the gear.  Not nought to lock it up but it would make metal chips. Took a few minutes  to ID the issue.  Turns out the pin on the arm an rod assembly  (#6130) had a groove worn in it so it didn't push the arm on the parking pawl down far enough to completely disengage it.  I would also hazard a guess that there is some wear on the pawn lever it self that exacerbates the problem.  

Trying to decide if I should weld the groove up and file it to shape...but that leaves any wear on the arm unaddressed... or put a sleeve on the pin...  thoughts??? 

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

meadowfield

I just welded up with a harder rod and ground down. Works fine....

• Like 1

pfrederi

Turns out the the shaft was also worn where it comes through the frame (and the sleeve was shot also). Found some sleeve bearings and drilled the frame hole out to 5/8 used a flange bearing there and a straight one over the pin. 

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Sarge

I always replace those plastic bushings , if they are even there anymore with bronze oilite type bushings and repair any wear to the shafts when replacing the parking pawl parts - I just make my own out of harder steels .

Sarge

pfrederi
4 hours ago, Sarge said:

I always replace those plastic bushings , if they are even there anymore with bronze oilite type bushings and repair any wear to the shafts when replacing the parking pawl parts - I just make my own out of harder steels .

Sarge

The existing bushings weren't plastic they were thin brass material but mostly worn away.   i would rather the gear wear out the parking pawl than the pawl ware out the gear.  one i can fix one i can't.  But then i try not to stop using the parking brake

• Like 1