Jakeshorsetuff

oil seal leaking

Jakeshorsetuff

HI,

I have a charger 12 with a substandard transmission.  I replaced the seal, made certain that there were no burs where the key slot is, and checked the bering needle to make certain that it does not go up and down or side to side...and it doesn't....  so I went to the auto store  to get an oil seal, the brand of it is National oil seal the number is 471652 and the book calls for oil seal number 6449. After like 5 days driving it it started to leak again it looks like the hub has been wearing a ring in the casing and it seems to be wearing on the seal too.IMG_5032.JPGIMG_5034.JPG  can any one give me suggestions If you need more photos I can post them .thanks

Ed Kennell

Move the hub out so it doesn't rub the seal.    If the hub is moving on the axle, make sure you are using a " CUP POINT SET SCREW'  and if it only has one set screw, add another tapped hole and screw 90 degrees from the original.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

rmaynard

This is what you call splitting hairs, but the generic replacement for the 6449 seal is supposed to be a CR-11124. This is a double lip Nitrile seal, 1.125 ID x 1.624 OD x 0,25". The National 471652 is 1.125 ID x 1.628 OD x 0.25" seal. I'm not saying that 0.004 OD difference is going to be a problem, but I think I would try using the CR-11124 next time. Try setting the seal a little deeper, slightly below the surface of the housing. If it still leaks, and you don't have any up.down play, then you may have a worn axle that just won't seal.

...and do what Ed said.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Certainly, the hub has to be secured to the axle shaft to keep it from 'drifting' in / out or to preclude any wobble whatsoever.  If the hub is TIGHT, then the axle itself must be floating in/out.  This is common and you'd have to dismantle the trans to resolve that problem.  

Having said that, the axle SEAL should NOT be flush with the square tube axle housing.  I should be recessed 1/16" or so....just not flush.  Try to tap it in just a little to avoid damage by the hub.  Failing that, you could put a THIN washer between the end of the square axle tube and the hub....that would prevent any wear issues.    

• Like 2

lynnmor

Yes, set the seal in a bit.  Later models had a plastic thrust washer between the hub and the trans, I would add one.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

ol550
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Move the hub out so it doesn't rub the seal.    If the hub is moving on the axle, make sure you are using a " DOG POINT SET SCREW'  and if it only has one set screw, add another tapped hole and screw 90 degrees from the original.

I'm fairly certain you meant to say cup point.  The dog point is used to hold the gear shifter in.

Cup point Cup point.png 

Dog point Dog point.png

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

You are correct Sir.    :text-yeahthat:   :thanks:

• Like 1

Jakeshorsetuff

It is not a dog point set screw it is just a square head set screw and where would i get a dog point set screw.IMG_5035.JPG

The axle moves about 3mm out and in when I pull on it it is the same on the other side but the other side does not leak.

pfrederi

Used to be something called hardware stores that would have these things.  Too bad most of them are gone.  You might get lucky at a big box store.

This is what you want

cup1.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Jakeshorsetuff

I got the seal and the plastic washer and I put It back together and after one day of driving It I have not seen any sign of oil. Thanks for your help

Edited by Jakeshorsetuff
  • Like 2