Horse Digger

C-120, 8-speed, drum axle leak

Horse Digger

Ok, so I've found out just where the oil is leaving the transmission on my C120 8 speed from around 1974.

Removed the brake "drum" and discovered a thin ring around the axle, is this part of the seal and can this be replaced without tearing the whole transmission?

I found several posts & youtube videos about replacing axle seals, but none about the brake axle seal...

Since this is the lowest axle, the oil-level is to low to determine if axle seals are bad too...

I'm uncertain of what transmission I've got so trying to find the manual for it has been hard, someone who can help?

20170128_131952.jpg

Yanking the axel I can just about feel a play, is this OK, or should I replace the bearing too?

Edited by Horse Digger
Pic
  • Like 1

rmaynard

A slight in and out movement is normal, up & down is not. Up and down (or side to side) would indicate a bad bearing which is not common on the brake shaft. The seal is simple to replace and does not require opening up the case. A seal should be available at your local Toro dealer or Napa auto parts store.

There are many threads here on RedSqure that will help you understand how to do it. I recommend a seal from your local Napa auto parts store SKF 7410 or CR7410. I find them to be better made than the Toro part 100441.

Here is the link to the seal/bearing cross reference page.  Use #3 in the list for your transmission which is probably a 5091 or 103907.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

Horse Digger

Ok, Toro dealer is avalible, Napa is not, since I live in Sweden.

However SKF is "Svenska Kullager Fabriken" meaning Swedish Ball bearing Factory...

I think bying a "SKF 7410" should be doable...

Maybe, when the transmission is filled up, the play is unnoticeable?

• Like 1

rmaynard

Sorry that I didn't notice your location. Thanks for the translation of SKF.

Hacksawhero123

I had no idea what "SKF" actually meant. Thanks Digger!

Mark 

rmaynard

Ahhh, one of the many benefits of being a RS member. Free language lessons. :handgestures-thumbup:

953 nut
5 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

had no idea what "SKF" actually meant

Glad it wasn't something offensive.   :ychain:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• davem1111
      By davem1111
      I have this 520-8 that needs some love and restoration expertise, and I don't have the time or gumption to take on this project and give it the TLC it deserves.  Local pickup near Bloomington, IN only.... (almost - I might be able to meet somewhere but not too far, and I don't have a trailer.)

The Onan P220 runs, but not well. I repaired the seal on the intake manifold, replaced the carb & spark plugs, adjusted valve clearance, and tried adjusting the governor, but it still surges. It has the swept front axle but does not have reduction steering. As far as I know, all is original, and the hour meter is at 610.

Several attachments could be included in the deal if desired, for a bit extra. Either a 60" SD or 48" SD deck, single stage snowblower, and/or snow plow blade (would need to get extension kit for front wheel clearance).

• Porkskin
      By Porkskin
      Working on:  1986 Wheel Horse 312-A, Model 21-12KE02, 42" Deck Model 05-42MR04

Hello All, 

Well, the parking brake on this one stopped working, and after removing the shift plate it was clear that the pawl was no longer reaching any of the teeth on the bell crank. So I figured I needed to adjust the travel on the rod that accentuates the squeeze on the brake lining. It's not perfectly clear to me where the adjust point is, but I think it is the bolt-nut-spring assembly as shown on the pictures attached. Now, if that is the bolt I need to put some clockwise turns on to get this done, the question becomes how can I get a pair of 9/16" wrenches or sockets in there to make the turns. I pretzeled myself in several ways to get tools on both ends many ways with no luck. All comments very much appreciated.

I'm using these diagrams:
      www.partstree.com/models/21-12ke01-312-a-toro-garden-tractor-1986/index.html

The first picture is taken from the right side inward toward the assembly. The second is taken with me on my back looking up.

• Bill D
      By Bill D
      I have had and seen couple of 8 speeds with bent, scraped any broken dipsticks.  The broken ones look like they got cut off.  What are they hitting inside the tranny and how do I prevent it?  Thanks.  Bill
    • Chuck14025
      By Chuck14025
      C120, 1974/75 
      I added braces and shims to the rear end of the frame to beef up the cracked existing 'frame to transmission bracket'. Now, the parking brake does not engage. 
      The shims are about 1/8" and have to stay on. 
      Is there a way to adjust the parking brake?
    • Shea Worden
      By Shea Worden
      Hey guys, my wheelhorse c81 got a new transmission last year and now it’s grinding when I drive. First thing the brake pulley is on a higher shaft and doesn’t work with the c81 brake rod and hardware. Second the bearing behind the intake pulleyhas fallen out, which I assume is the grinding sound. Is there a way I can fix it without taking the whole transmission apart? I don’t have enough knowledge to do that kind of repair. Thanks so much -Shea