slim67

back surgery

slim67

I have been sharing my back problem dilemma in my suburban project thread. I went to doctor today to find out I will need back surgery this coming Tuesday. It is an in and out procedure which will keep me off work up to 2 weeks depending how fast I recover. Supposedly I will be able to move around and walk but no weightlifting, heavy lifting or ant kind of excercise like situps or crunches. I guess I will just have to go out in garage and work on that damn tractor! I have some other little projects around the house I can do/finish. I would like to thank all of you who have shared their experiences with back problems. God knows Ive been dealing with this long enough. I cant walk on my left leg without dragging my foot , very far or stand long. The doctor asked me to raise my foot off the heel on my left foot and I couldnt move it. There is no alternative at this point and I dont want to have nerve damage like 953 nut is having to live with. 

• Like 7

Digger 66

Best of luck to ya brother .

2 Februarys ago ( right at the sweet spot in snowmobile season ) while cranking the dolly legs up on my semi trailer at work ( at minus 6 degrees ) I felt something pop .

Turns out it was only a muscle . Left lower lumbar to be exact .

Was severely strained .I have never felt that "weak" before . You don't realize how dependent you are on that little bunch of sinew until it don't work right .

• Like 3

Jerry77
19 minutes ago, slim67 said:

There is no alternative at this point

Wish you the best - I had back surgery in 1971 - they have come a long way since then - I think with modern medicine you will be fine - one thing - as with any surgery - KEEP MOVING - the more you keep active, the faster you will heal - I have had both hips replaced and can tell you that getting up and moving around will really shorten the recovery time...had the last one at 73 and didn't have any problems--modern medicine miracles!!..keep your chin up..:)

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Good luck on your surgery.  have been dealing with back problems for 10 years. It is no fun. Listen to your Dr. If you get a brace wear it.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

My prayers with you.  God Speed. 

• Like 3

slim67

Thanks guys. I will keep busy for sure. I seriously do plan on working on my tractor and watching vikings!

• Like 2

953 nut

My prayers will be going your way Tuesday; as always, do exactly what they tell you! From past experience I can tell you that Ice Cream is good  for  what ales you!    :icecream:    FOR MEDISONAL PURPOSES OF COURSE!   :ychain:

• Like 3

slim67
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

My prayers will be going your way Tuesday; as always, do exactly what they tell you! From past experience I can tell you that Ice Cream is good  for  what ales you!    :icecream:    FOR MEDISONAL PURPOSES OF COURSE!   :ychain:

LOL how about donuts?

• Like 2

953 nut

According to a world renowned expert they are!

Image result for homer simpson donuts

• Like 3

slim67
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

According to a world renowned expert they are!

Image result for homer simpson donuts

:text-lol:

• Like 2

JimD

Best of luck to you Slim.

• Like 3

slim67
31 minutes ago, JimD said:

Best of luck to you Slim.

I used to work with some guys from Garretsville years ago even went to a party or two that way. Nice area and I dont know how long you have lived there, but there was a wheelhorse dealer right there in town that had an RJ/suburban in the front window. Doesn't rt82 go right through the center of town? thanks for your thoughts

ACman

Like everyone says , stay moving ! Listen to your doc and therapist...good luck and prayers sent .

• Like 3

Daddy Don

I have my two lower discs in my back collapsed and they gave me a back stretch machine to use at home. It pulls the back in two different directions and pulls the dices apart.  I use it once a day it helps for about 6 hours. Then I do it again. I heard so many stories about back surgery that I would not let them do it. I am 69  and figure I can live with it until I no longer can get relief by using the machine.      

JimD
2 hours ago, slim67 said:

I used to work with some guys from Garretsville years ago even went to a party or two that way. Nice area and I dont know how long you have lived there, but there was a wheelhorse dealer right there in town that had an RJ/suburban in the front window. Doesn't rt82 go right through the center of town? thanks for your thoughts

Yes, Rt. 82 does go through the center of town, and the dealership was Miller Lawn and Garden. Jim Miller did have a round hood in the window that had been restored. Sadly the dealership burned down in the tragic fire the took out the whole Buckeye block of businesses. It was a very historic building and can never be replaced. I bought many parts there when they were still in business and i miss them to this day. I would be curious to know if I knew any of the men you worked with. :)

slim67
9 hours ago, JimD said:

Yes, Rt. 82 does go through the center of town, and the dealership was Miller Lawn and Garden. Jim Miller did have a round hood in the window that had been restored. Sadly the dealership burned down in the tragic fire the took out the whole Buckeye block of businesses. It was a very historic building and can never be replaced. I bought many parts there when they were still in business and i miss them to this day. I would be curious to know if I knew any of the men you worked with. :)

I heard about the fire but did not know that Millers was destroyed. That was cool standing there looking at that RJ all restored in the window. Really sad as people with the knowledge of Wheelhorse that Mr.Miller had are becoming a rare commodity. The guys I knew drove cement mixers with me at Tri County concrete in Twinsburg. They were all around my age ( ill be 50 on Feb 27). My brother in law lived in Mantua and we went to walk around downtown Garretsville thats how I discovered Millers. Those Garretsville boys liked to party!

• Like 1

HeyMrP

Pains in your back are a pain in your... back! I too will pray for your back and surgery. I'm a tough guy, but when it come to surgery I am a sissy. I DON'T LIKE IT! Be careful and allow your self time to heal.

slim67
10 hours ago, Daddy Don said:

I have my two lower discs in my back collapsed and they gave me a back stretch machine to use at home. It pulls the back in two different directions and pulls the dices apart.  I use it once a day it helps for about 6 hours. Then I do it again. I heard so many stories about back surgery that I would not let them do it. I am 69  and figure I can live with it until I no longer can get relief by using the machine.      

I asked about that and this surgery is pretty common these days with a pretty good success rate. I will let you know how it works out. I dont know if my problem is a serious as yours so I dont know if this would work for you. 

3 minutes ago, HeyMrP said:

Pains in your back are a pain in your... back! I too will pray for your back and surgery. I'm a tough guy, but when it come to surgery I am a sissy. I DON'T LIKE IT! Be careful and allow your self time to heal.

Thanks im not a fan of surgery either, thank God for anesthesia ! 

• Like 2

Buzz

What type of surgery are you having. I had a laminectomy a couple of years ago and it was a success. I put off surgery for years until I lost the ability to walk or stand. good luck and don't be in a hurry to rush back. your body will know your limits.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I had an L3, L4, L5 laminectomy, with instrumented fusion back on November 30, 2015. It has been almost 14 months since the surgery, and though it was difficult to not bend, twist or lift for almost 6 months, and I thought my tractor days were over, I survived. Today, I do almost everything that I want, but I do it differently. I am more conscience of my spine. I was told by many that I would regret the fusion, but I am happy to say that I do not regret it at all. Today, other than the stiffness that normally accompanies a 66 year old, I am pain free. I walk 3 to 4 miles per day, and go to the gym whenever I can. I am back to riding and working on the horses.

So bottom line, do everything that your doctor tells you, and good luck. You have a lot of friends here who have gone through the same ordeal.

• Like 4

Coadster32

I had lamonectomy (L5-S1), anbout 10 years ago. You'll be ok if you listen to your doctor and your back. It'll let you know when it doesn't like something. Like said previously, just start to do things differently, and don't be too proud to ask for help.  My buddy had fusion four weeks ago. He's up and about, cleared to drive, and looks great. Very commonplace now-a-days. Best of luck to you.

• Like 3

slim67
2 hours ago, Coadster32 said:

I had lamonectomy (L5-S1), anbout 10 years ago. You'll be ok if you listen to your doctor and your back. It'll let you know when it doesn't like something. Like said previously, just start to do things differently, and don't be too proud to ask for help.  My buddy had fusion four weeks ago. He's up and about, cleared to drive, and looks great. Very commonplace now-a-days. Best of luck to you.

I will definitely listen to Dr.s orders and may the force be with you as well.

• Like 2

slim67

Well we took off bandage yesterday and according to my information , it is healing fine. Staples come out on the 17th.:)back.JPG

• Like 1

rmaynard

Looks familiar. :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut
3 hours ago, slim67 said:

it is healing fine.

:text-bravo: