BOB ELLISON

1054 BASKET CASE

Lane Ranger

Bob:  

I have a non-traditional color scheme seat cushion and backrest for a 1054 tractor also!   While black and white is the tradional look , I made up two seat pieces out of wood and my sister made me one black and white traditional one and one like I have in this photo.  Red in the center and black on the outsides.

011.JPG

BOB ELLISON
23 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Bob:  

I have a non-traditional color scheme seat cushion and backrest for a 1054 tractor also!   While black and white is the tradional look , I made up two seat pieces out of wood and my sister made me one black and white traditional one and one like I have in this photo.  Red in the center and black on the outsides.

011.JPG

I like that one too.i was looking for others that made seats and your post really helped my with mine. The seats wooden wedge pieces I still have to make. I don't have a band saw and a circular saw won't work so I'll have to find someone that can cut those pieces for me. Other then that I need to clean and paint the frame and the seat frame. I'll try to do more as the weather permits. I'll try to design some fancy covers and offer them to the others that need them.i seen some that look like alligator but the material I have on hand is all marine  grade. And the thread is uv so it won't hurt it in the sun, won't do as much damage to it.

Lane Ranger

I posted a tutorial on how to make the 953/1054  seat o Red Square some time ago.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

BOB ELLISON
1 minute ago, Lane Ranger said:

I posted a tutorial on how to make the 953/1054  seat o Red Square some time ago.

Yes that's the one I read and it helped me decide to go for it. Thank you

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Bob:   I recommend  poplar or a better grade of wood then pine for the 2 x 4/  cuts.     I also  coated the plywood bottom frame with two or three coats on Minwax  polyurethane.   It seals the bottom and  will lessen moisture absorbing  even if covered with another material.   

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

Bob:   I recommend  poplar or a better grade of wood then pine for the 2 x 4/  cuts.     I also  coated the plywood bottom frame with two or three coats on Minwax  polyurethane.   It seals the bottom and  will lessen moisture absorbing  even if covered with another material.   

Lane I was thinking pressure treated wood that would add 50 mores years to it.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
11 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Lane I was thinking pressure treated wood that would add 50 mores years to it.

I would caution you using pressure treated wood in this application. The chemicals (some really nasty ones) can leach out and soak into other things around it like your fabric or react with the paint and metal. Go with a good quality natural wood as lane said. :handgestures-thumbupright:

It might be cost prohibitive or hard to find (check specialty lumber stores like Rockler for fancy stuff in small quantities), but I would look into teak or red cedar for and application like this if you want it to last forever. 

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

It might be cost prohibitive or hard to find

You can pick up small pieces of Poplar at Lowe's or HD.  A couple of coats of oil based paint or sealer should do the trick.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

You can pick up small pieces of Poplar at Lowe's or HD.  A couple of coats of oil based paint or sealer should do the trick.

Poplar it will be I would like to do it right and @Lane Ranger and @bmsgaffer both say poplar or some other wood would be best choice so that's what I will use. I never thought pressure treated wood would be a bad choice but after reading up on it I guess it's not a good choice. Thanks guys

I'm never to old to learn.

• Like 1

dells68

Well, it seems this thread has been idle for a while.  I want to know - how far have you gotten Bob?  Love the 953 and 1054 tractors.  I'd love to see the finished project!  What did you do for tires?  I found a cheap set of 5.00-15 ags that worked ok on mine.  I'd like to add a second set for a dual look since they are on the smallish side.

• Like 1