artfull dodger

What are your other hobbies?

slim67
18 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Yes they do. Friend of my grandparents had a 68 Javelin...rode in that thing when I was about 8 and been hooked ever since. Have had a few myself, including a 65 Rambler wagon, a 76 Pacer, and a 76 AMC Jeep CJ7, but the Gremlin was by far my favorite, even though it wasn't AMC powered, it was a blast to drive. My dream car would have to be tied between a 69 SC/Rambler or a 69 AMX. My folks are Corvette people, and I'm always like hey don't forget the other American two seater 

My grandpa had a Matador, my aunt had a purple Gremlin, my dad had one Hornet 4 door and two Hornet station wagons plus a 76 CJ-5. The Matador had a 304, and all the rest had 232/258s inline sixs. I had the pleasure of talking to a guy at my bro in laws wedding rehearsal dinner, that had a 69 AMX with a 343 and a 4speed. Black on black and it was mint. I had one of the Hornet station wagons in high school while I was building my V-8 Maverick and it was the party car. It ran and ran. Lots of good times with that old car. It made me an AMC fan.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Been reading this thread and love the variety of the folks and talents on RS!

My hobby? Pretty simple - I ski... :banana-skier:   National Ski Patrol for 25 years...

Too many people go through life on dull edges...So, in the immortal words of Warren Miller - "If everyone skied, there would be no war...". In other words - My Motto: keep your edges sharp and you can ski through anything.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

WHX??

Wonder if @AMC RULES has seen this thread the way you guys are going at the Gremlins & Pacers!!?!?!????

Jaymon74

Building things. Restoring old mini bikes. Bass fishing. Coin collecting. Guns. Old cars. Collecting projects.

232.jpeg

Edited by Jaymon74
A mini dirtbike restored by me last year. It's a 2001 Yamaha PW50
  • Like 2

Digger 66
20 hours ago, classicdmax said:

My wife says I have expensive hobbies. Another that's not in a pic is guns, but have turned more into a collector as opposed to using them for I just haven't made time to get to the range that's 1 mile from my house IMG_0264.JPG

For some reason I cannot upload any more pics 

Right jacket . wrong sled :icecream:

• Like 2

Hacksawhero123

Mainly guns. Old cars. Hot rods. Well all the cool dangerous stuff. Years back I competed in IHMSSA shooting competition. It was a lot of fun. I shot IDPA a few times. Shooting 1000 yards is very humbling when you find yourself shooting with guys that are "good" at it. I built a couple of choppers, but after back surgery, the bikes had to go. So now it's Wheelhorse tractors with you guys. Here's my last bike I built. 

Mark 

IMG_0502.PNG

IMG_0786.JPG

• Like 2

slim67

1000Yds? What caliber are you using for that? .338? .50BMG?  What is the size of a target at that distance? It sounds like fun but its out of my league. Im more of a 100 yard guy! Anyways your safer on a tractor. I dont know if its been done yet but sticking a big old Harley V-twin in a horse just might be something right up your alley.

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

Slim, 1000 yds I've shot .308, 5.56, and .300 WSM.  My brother has a Savage in .338 Lapua. Even though I handload most of my own ammo, I can't afford to shoot a Lapua. Targets are usually 6 or 8 foot square. It's the most frustrating fun you can have. 

• Like 1

classicdmax

Bought a ruger 308 m77 tactical several years ago with the idea of getting into some distance shooting.....think I shot it once 

WHX??

Looks to me like you are running a suicide clutch & jockey shift on that thing Mark. I used to do a bit of chopper building in my day then that got to be too expensive.  Snowmobiling is/can be an expensive hobby as well. I used to do a little but then no snow to open the local trails. Then there was the parts expense there!! :huh:

Hacksawhero123

Correct, WHX9. It was foot clutch, jockey shift. That thing really was a death trap. It looked cool, but dangerous. I never had anyone ask to ride it though. 😂  

Mark. 

• Like 1

Sarge

I'm mostly into welding , fabricating , repairs and just general building stuff like tools and such . Spent a lot of years offroading and had highly modified Suzuki Samurai that was a dual-purpose on/off truck - excellent when you work in Construction as a main source of income . I currently have a '77 Toyota Land Cruiser , FJ40 short wheelbase tank...love that old rusty thing . Probably the most respected 4x4 in the world and production numbers to prove it . Due to health problems and a spine that is about shot it's going away this spring - I just can't work on that heavy iron anymore and the old girl needs a full restoration . Completely restored/proper Cruisers can go north of 100k at auction , I think the record was a couple years ago at $109,000 for a '76 that had a few things wrong but overall very nice . Amazing what people would pay for an uncomfortable , gas-guzzling tank...they wear out their owners long before they rust out .

Years ago I enjoyed model Rail Roading a lot and had a huge basement layout when I was a kid . Looking now for a local collector to pass on my grandfather's/dad's old Lionel trains , but the market has dropped badly on them since no real new blood is into the hobby these days - and that's a shame . Also spent quite a few years working/building Dirt Modified/Late Model race cars for the shop where I worked - hence the drive to weld so much . Modifieds are a lot of work  to build and keep in one piece for sure ...it can be like an oval demolition derby most weekends . Same with off roading , having fun usually results in breaking something , even it's just a mild trail ride although I have yet to hurt the Cruiser at all really - it's too valuable to start with and doesn't get driven too hard except trips to work on the Interstate at 70+mph , which it doesn't really like .

I hate how health has slowed me down and kept me from doing the things I love the most - but at this age , 4 grandkids keep me busy and they are a great source of fun in their own way , life changes for sure .

Sarge

• Like 1

slim67
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

I'm mostly into welding , fabricating , repairs and just general building stuff like tools and such . Spent a lot of years offroading and had highly modified Suzuki Samurai that was a dual-purpose on/off truck - excellent when you work in Construction as a main source of income . I currently have a '77 Toyota Land Cruiser , FJ40 short wheelbase tank...love that old rusty thing . Probably the most respected 4x4 in the world and production numbers to prove it . Due to health problems and a spine that is about shot it's going away this spring - I just can't work on that heavy iron anymore and the old girl needs a full restoration . Completely restored/proper Cruisers can go north of 100k at auction , I think the record was a couple years ago at $109,000 for a '76 that had a few things wrong but overall very nice . Amazing what people would pay for an uncomfortable , gas-guzzling tank...they wear out their owners long before they rust out .

Years ago I enjoyed model Rail Roading a lot and had a huge basement layout when I was a kid . Looking now for a local collector to pass on my grandfather's/dad's old Lionel trains , but the market has dropped badly on them since no real new blood is into the hobby these days - and that's a shame . Also spent quite a few years working/building Dirt Modified/Late Model race cars for the shop where I worked - hence the drive to weld so much . Modifieds are a lot of work  to build and keep in one piece for sure ...it can be like an oval demolition derby most weekends . Same with off roading , having fun usually results in breaking something , even it's just a mild trail ride although I have yet to hurt the Cruiser at all really - it's too valuable to start with and doesn't get driven too hard except trips to work on the Interstate at 70+mph , which it doesn't really like .

I hate how health has slowed me down and kept me from doing the things I love the most - but at this age , 4 grandkids keep me busy and they are a great source of fun in their own way , life changes for sure .

Sarge

It sounds like you have some skills Sarge. I think the old land cruisers are badass also, I don't see them at all anymore. Didn't they have a straight6 patterned off of Chevy? Enjoy your grandkids and don't sweat the small stuff.

Bonacker

my other hobby is rabbit hunting with beagles been doing for almost thirty years love it . I have 4 of them now

• Like 2

WHX??
36 minutes ago, Bonacker said:

. I have 4 of them now

Only four rabbits in thirty years??...bout as good a shot as Elmer Fudd eh! :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bonacker

HAHA WHX9 yuo got me I should of clarified 4 beagles then again we want save some for the next season 1 a year should be good

• Like 2

slim67
On 2/9/2017 at 8:23 PM, Dennys502 said:

I like to design and build things - mostly from necessity. I used to like to build cars and paint them but not for a long time now.

This is a 28 x 32 garage I built at my previous house. I did the excavating but hired someone for the concrete and block work.

I made my own end trusses for it.

My 1979 Z28 with a 502 crate motor, pontoon trailer I built for my brother, and a box rake attachment.

My current project is my Kubota mini excavator.

I'm upgrading from a 3 cylinder diesel to a 4 cylinder diesel.

Replacing the hydraulic pump with a larger one.

Making a cab for it.

The most time consuming part of it is replacing the frame for the undercarriage as the old one is rusted out. I've got it all designed and am just starting to make the parts.

Way too many things I have made so I will leave it at this.

DCP_2749.JPG

DCP_2817.JPG

DCP_2936.JPG

DCP_2974.JPG

DCP_3056.JPG

DCP_3393.JPG

DCP_1918.JPG

DCP_1949.JPG

DCP_3346.JPG

ftr5.JPG

back close.JPG

Bare Metal.jpg

Angle.jpg

0905131514b.jpg

DSC_0002.JPG

I love that rake. Very nice detail,so much I would guess its factory. How does it perform?

Dennys502

It is awesome. I made a trail about a half mile long going to the back of my property and used the excavator to take out the trees and bury the rocks - some of them almost as big as the excavator so I had to just dig a hole next to them and push them over. The rake kicked up the smaller stuff and leveled it nicely. It's not as pretty now but still works great. I had to hard surface the tips of the tines again as it had worn off but otherwise its holding together good.

Firpo701

My other hobbies would be cooking, Italian of course, :handgestures-thumbupright:, gardening (love my peppers), and playing music. I play keyboards, harmonica, and sax. Finally getting back into it pretty steady since my health issues began. Actually booked tonight. :greetings-clappingyellow: That's a few of the things I enjoy. 

• Like 4

Sarge

The old '77 is going up for sale soon , hope it goes to a decent price as work the last few years has been pretty thin and it's cut our income in half or worse .

Need to fix the driver's rear wheel cylinders (these trucks use 2 per wheel) before it can go on sale - I won't sell a vehicle that isn't roadworthy -

58bad9cbe81cc_20170212_1011301.thumb.jpg.a1bb4339872575d22fcfc101d8ee8e20.jpg

58bada119cfd0_20170212_1011521.thumb.jpg.f488a5bac8174213c723841a4cf59a2a.jpg

58bada4c45d04_20170212_1011171.thumb.jpg.232e334ea899fab4bb5f477183e3dbca.jpg

After 5yrs of ownership , I really don't want to let her go since I've wanted one for so long , but the cancer is really starting to accelerate and I'd like to see a collector get it and restore it before it goes too far . So many of these iconic trucks are being scrapped , parted out or turned into trail buggies it's starting to hurt the number of complete examples that are available . I have a whole room in the basement of spare parts - including the correct style twin rear doors that look new , along with a whole hardtop assembly and nearly new looking front doors . Previous owner was a flipper (hence , the wrong top/rear door arrangement) and did some bad things to it but it survives nonetheless . Driveline is original and runs extremely strong despite being 40yrs old this month . The engines were loosely based on the older 50's Chevy truck straight six - the industrial one and not the lighter built car/pickup engine . The odd history of how these things came about after WWII , the Marine Corps and Toyota's engineering is worth a read for the gearheads around here...these things are built more along the lines of a commercial truck rather than a consumer based car - everything is literally meant to be overhauled/serviced and put back without replacing it . The manual is incredible , outlines how to rebuild the steering box , water pump , brake booster fan clutch - every component in high detail although many of those small parts are no longer available . Everything is very heavy and overbuilt , which explains why so many are still surviving in outlying Nations all over the world despite a lack of proper care - and abuse .

Sarge

• Like 4

slim67
21 hours ago, Sarge said:

The old '77 is going up for sale soon , hope it goes to a decent price as work the last few years has been pretty thin and it's cut our income in half or worse .

Need to fix the driver's rear wheel cylinders (these trucks use 2 per wheel) before it can go on sale - I won't sell a vehicle that isn't roadworthy -

After 5yrs of ownership , I really don't want to let her go since I've wanted one for so long , but the cancer is really starting to accelerate and I'd like to see a collector get it and restore it before it goes too far . So many of these iconic trucks are being scrapped , parted out or turned into trail buggies it's starting to hurt the number of complete examples that are available . I have a whole room in the basement of spare parts - including the correct style twin rear doors that look new , along with a whole hardtop assembly and nearly new looking front doors . Previous owner was a flipper (hence , the wrong top/rear door arrangement) and did some bad things to it but it survives nonetheless . Driveline is original and runs extremely strong despite being 40yrs old this month . The engines were loosely based on the older 50's Chevy truck straight six - the industrial one and not the lighter built car/pickup engine . The odd history of how these things came about after WWII , the Marine Corps and Toyota's engineering is worth a read for the gearheads around here...these things are built more along the lines of a commercial truck rather than a consumer based car - everything is literally meant to be overhauled/serviced and put back without replacing it . The manual is incredible , outlines how to rebuild the steering box , water pump , brake booster fan clutch - every component in high detail although many of those small parts are no longer available . Everything is very heavy and overbuilt , which explains why so many are still surviving in outlying Nations all over the world despite a lack of proper care - and abuse .

Sarge

They are badass trucks and rarer and rarer every year. I've seen 2 around me in the last 20 years or so. One was for sale and the other belonged to a guy I worked with that he and his sons put a small block Chevy in. It was orange and had a mild lift. Isnt the engine in those a Chevy based inline 6? If you remember the year that Toyota came out with their first 4 wheel drive pickup ( 79-80?), the magazine ad had the pickup next to the landcruiser. The caption of the ad was "son of the landcruiser". Those first generation little pickups are probably just as hard to find now.

Tdubb

I like to hunt and target shoot. But I spend most of my free time at kids sport events. They are always into something. 

• Like 1

Ken B
On 2/12/2017 at 10:43 AM, Dennys502 said:

It is awesome. I made a trail about a half mile long going to the back of my property and used the excavator to take out the trees and bury the rocks - some of them almost as big as the excavator so I had to just dig a hole next to them and push them over. The rake kicked up the smaller stuff and leveled it nicely. It's not as pretty now but still works great. I had to hard surface the tips of the tines again as it had worn off but otherwise its holding together good.

All very nice Denny! Your Z/28 brings back a lot of fond memories for me. It must go real good with the 502! Auto or 4 speed? I had a pretty mint 78 Z/28 I bought off the original owner back in 1991. It had only 55,000 miles on it. Never driven in rain or snow. The only thing I did to the car was add an RV cam and an Edelbrock intake. With the 3.73 gears I could easily grab all 4 gears. Just enough to be fun. My wife really liked it and drove it often but when the chance came up to make a deal on a 69 SS Chevelle I had to go for it... Both cars are gone but I still got the wife! We both wish the Z/28 was still around.

ScannedImage-12.jpg

• Like 1

whfan74
On March 4, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Sarge said:

Sarge

@Sarge You might want to chat with Lonny aka @otrelwood about your Cruiser.  Good luck to you!

Edited by whfan74