WHX??

Anybody else do this?

T-Mo

I have done this at various times for various tractors.  Currently I don't have one on any tractor I currently own, but it's a good idea to do a book like this for each one you own.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Remember to tighten all lug nuts!!  :occasion-xmas:

I have a big folder box for all the paperwork, and I have a book that I write down whatever I do to each horse...like batteries, oil changes, etc.  Otherwise, I would not know when I changed the oil in one particular horse.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I think it's perfectly normal Jim. :D

DSCN0621.JPG

• Like 9

JeanUKWildcat

Im the same way, all my lawn mowers, chain saws, weeders,etc. I have the manuals for them all even if I have to go online find it and print it off. So good idea that you do that. 

• Like 2

obone

I kind of do the same thing, but track everything in Excel and keep digital copies of the manuals. Easier this way for me since most of my research and buying is online. I even link you tube videos. If I need a hard copy I just print out which part I need.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a notebook for every horse, running or not. I keep track of everything. My notebooks and manual on the El Camino measures 5 inches in thickness.I have two plastic file boxes with hinged lids for all the other stuff , saws ,drill press , nailers, etc. As my old man said" Don't throw it away, you will need it in the future " .

• Like 5

tunahead72

I haven't bound my Wheel Horse stuff, yet, but I do keep any kind of documentation I can get my hands on and keep it fairly well organized.  I love having manuals for everything I own, I'm just one of those "gotta have something physical in my hands to read" kind of guys.

A few years ago, I found, printed and bound a complete service manual for my old Honda motorcycle.  I don't do anything major on the bike, but I do find myself referring to the manual fairly often for routine maintenance and service, it comes in real handy.

And if anybody thinks we're being anal...  Whatever. :ychain:

• Like 2

TDF5G

Yep.  I have a binder for each tractor. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Wow I guess I ain't anal then ...I was gonna say I do the same for other outdoor power and even tools but I didn't want everybody to think I am a freak of nature!

10 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

just one of those "gotta have something physical in my hands to read" kind of guys.

I hear ya Tuna! :) you mean you gotta have pics! Shhh I won't tell yer wife you had to stop and ask for directions! :ychain:

1 hour ago, obone said:

keep digital copies of the manuals

I hear ya there too Bone... I download everything from here on a flash drive then eventually put it on my phone. Never know ya go to a bro's house to wrench and ya need a manual or three.

BTW :WRS: @JeanUKWildcat

• Like 3

JeanUKWildcat
2 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Wow I guess I ain't anal then ...I was gonna say I do the same for other outdoor power and even tools but I didn't want everybody to think I am a freak of nature!

I hear ya Tuna! :) you mean you gotta have pics! Shhh I won't tell yer wife you had to stop and ask for directions! :ychain:

I hear ya there too Bone... I download everything from here on a flash drive then eventually put it on my phone. Never know ya go to a bro's house to wrench and ya need a manual or three.

BTW :WRS: @JeanUKWildcat

Thank you. 

• Like 2

hermitman

Yup,, We also keep an extra sheet just for parts, paint and anything else so we know exactly what we have in each one. Except labor,,,that's just to scary to add up!:unsure:

• Like 2

Racinbob
39 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Wow I guess I ain't anal then ...I was gonna say I do the same for other outdoor power and even tools but I didn't want everybody to think I am a freak of nature

Nobody said that Jim. It's just that making the binders isn't what caused it. :teasing-poke:

• Like 3

WHX??

:ROTF:

• Like 2

KC9KAS
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

DSCN0621.JPG

I really like you binders!

• Like 2

elliot ness

I am impressed with all you guys, It kinda makes me feel lazy, as it should.  Very Impressed.

• Like 2

jay bee

:text-yeahthat:  I have binders for my tractors too, but they sure don't look as good as Racinbob's

Jim

• Like 3

WHX??

I'm thinking maybe we just have too much time on our hands Elliot...

1 minute ago, jay bee said:

don't look as good as Racinbob's

Ahem ...... some of us more than others! :ychain::teasing-poke:

• Like 2

Tankman

Always two copies for each tractor . One for my desk, one for the shop.

I also save belt packaging sleeves, labeled and staple gunned to a barn beam; i,e.: 48" decks, 520 drive belt, 416 PTO, etc. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I know one thing...maybe two.  When you talk computers, there are 2 kinds of people...those that back things up...and those that will.  :)

It is the same with these horses.  In a digital world, it makes no sense, cents, since not to take plenty of pictures of anything you do with the horses, keep notes and log entries.  It is the reason we have Man Caves...and Lord help the person that did not keep notes.

One thing to add to your binders...put in what you think any horse, attachment, tools, etc is worth.  If you die before the wife...and we all do...because we want to...she can get an idea and know when she comes to Red Square or any other site and asks that "Question", at least she will have an idea from you that she is not getting schrolled.  Don't forget your fishing poles and reels and tackle.  I've got a few down rigger poles with Penn reels on them.  New, the poles were $25 and the reels were also $25...20 years ago.  Put that rig together now for $50...good luck.  If my wife did not know, she would probably give them away for $5 or $10.  Something to think about gentlemen.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 7

KC9KAS

Someone (maybe on Red Square) posted a spreadsheet several years ago and I have that on my computer.

I have all my tractors and my wife's Gilson, and my step-daughters tractors listed.

I add service that is done as well as parts and prices. This is how I know we spent WAAAAY too much $$ restoring the GILSON that you see on the front cover of Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine this month!!

I can "re-post" the spreadsheet for anyone that thinks they would like to use it, but have to do it from the desktop computer, as I do not have it on the laptop.

• Like 4

smoreau
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

DSCN0621.JPG

I have some binders like this and they are great to have everything in one place for each tractor. But mine are no were as clean as these, weres the smudges and grease marks?:P

• Like 4

stevasaurus

@smoreau   Scott...I miss you man...good to see you are still around.  :occasion-xmas:   Sorry Jim...off topic.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Digger 66
5 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Or am I just being extra anal?!?!?

You are not alone in your analness 

I have all that but I just don't talk about it :D

• Like 2

WHX??

No problem Dino @stevasaurus .......always room in my threads to say hey to an old Bro! :)

I was thinking the same thing tho @smoreau mine are all covered with horse manure. I like @Tankman's idea but he has obviously got too much time on his hands! 

I bet @Racinbob's are so clean beacuse he reads out of them like they were the bible whilst his good buddys wrench! :ychain:

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 3