LRE

520H Easy steer problems

LRE

I would like to hear from owners who have had the easy steer gears slipping to the point the gears are shot and the parts are no longer available and what you did to repair / fix the issue. This tractor is junk if you can't steer it

MalMac

Which gears is it? Is it the little pinion gear  and fan gear or it's it the bevel gear and upper steering shaft gear? If not worn beyond shimming, then that is the usual preference. Also make sure your gears are clean from extreme combination of old grease and grime build up. I have seen those gears get so much crud impacted on the teeth that they walk right out of mating with each other. Putting grease on low rpm external gears like that, in dirty conditions is a recipe to attract dirt and crud that act as a multiplier in the wear factor. There is a grease zerk down there. That's to grease that shaft that runs through the cast steering block, that should be greased. I know you didn't ask about greasing. Sorry for the lecture. Let us know which gears are slipping and how bad. Pictures would also help. I have some experience with this and I know there are other on here with even more than me. We will get you squared away.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

I had a high hour 1993 520H with very sloppy steering.  I found 4 problems.  The gear at the base of the steering wheel was badly worn - I replaced it with a part from Toro ($$$).  The steering wheel shaft had too much vertical play.  That made for poor gear mesh.  I was able to shim it to get better.  The front bearing on fan gear was sloppy, I replaced it.  And last, one set of tie rod ends were badly worn - I replaced them.  With all that done, the steering improved dramatically.  But it cost me well over $200 in parts.  Also, there is some adjustment it the gear box and fan gear.

So I would say, start looking for where the wear is.  I would bet on the steering shaft.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

On my 520, I found that a weld had broke and someone drilled a hole and put a bolt through near the fan gear. That is where my slop was.

I removed the shaft/fan gear, had it welded and put it back and all was good.

Oh, where are my manners.... @LRE :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

squonk

That steering bock that the grease fitting is in either cracks or the hole the upper shaft goes into gets wallowed out. I've changed a bunch of them.

MalMac

Squonk is right about that hold getting wollowed out. I have seen them bored and a needle bearing put in. Does not leave a lot of material though. Least it's a option. At this stage of the game as parts and good parts become harder to find, we have to start looking at repair options.