Aldon

Productive day, and finally an answer to decent battery

Sparky

I hope it lasts the whole 5 years for ya...but only time will tell if it was a good deal or not. I have swore off buying those cheapie Wal-Mart batteries myself.

Mike.....

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

The L&G battery (400CA)I bought from AutoZone in 2011/12 is still turning over the 520H in 2017, it may go bad tomorrow but I believe I got got my $ worth from that little battery, Jeff.

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

My batteries are lasting longer now that I cut down a bit on cold cranking amps. To increase cranking power, they thin the plates so more surface is available for the output. Thinner plates are more fragile and possibly there is not as much space between the plates.If they warp by charging too fast that makes trouble

Anyway, this is what i read somewhere and it does not make me a battery expert. The other thing I do is charge my batteries with a motorcycle battery charger. If you ever run a battery down dead by leaving the lights on, a slow charge will not heat up and possibly warp the plates on your battery.. The charger I use is 1.5 amps max and it takes more than a day to charge up a big battery, but maybe 4 hours on a lawn and garden.

• Like 3

cafoose

I got my 520HC almost a year ago and it had a used battery in it. I put a battery tender on it and I keep it plugged in all the time when not in use. I never have any problems starting it no matter how cold it is. I also put a new lawn and garden battery and battery tender in my Commando 8, my 876, and my C120. I always keep them plugged in and never have any problems starting them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+tender+junior&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abattery+tender+junior&ajr=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=battery+tender+junior&_sacat=0

• Like 3

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat: I use tenders on mine and get years and years out of L&G batteries, can't remember the last time I put a battery in one of my tractors.

• Like 4

Aldon

I appreciate everyone's feedback on their particular experiences and suggestions.

The failure which provided the stimilus for me to buy the battery in 1 post was proof that there is an exception to most rules.

The battery was was on a battery tender and failed. Said battery being approximately 14 months old. So it suffered 1 cold winter and part of a second before capitulating.

I still believe it is smart to use that battery tender but I feel that the lawn and garden batteries are just so much junk. Although @ohiofarmer mentioned the CCA as directly proportionate and I'll try and read up on that as it is interesting. I have leaned towards the larger CCA batteries.

One thing that might have played into it is several days at -15 to -20 during the night.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i have the best luck out of everstart from wal-mart beleive it or not. we have had 2 of their battries last 5 years yes they sat outside during winter too. but key to it is we use then all year round. i bought a exide from menards in 2015 spring of 2016 it was almost toasted.

• Like 1

JPWH

My son uses reconditioned interstate batterys. He talked me into trying them about 5 years ago and they are doing well so far. I do not keep tenders on them and the temps very rarely get below 30 here. The cost is about 2/3 of a new one.

• Like 3

squonk

If you had swapped the locations of your cables Aldon you could have used a regular Group 26 and saved some cash.:banana-wrench::)

I used to sell more 26 batteries at Napa than you could shake a stick at. If you had a piece of equipment and needed a battery, a 26 came off the shelf if you had room for it.

I use the TSC  L & G batteries in my stuff. Tender on all of them. I replace a battery every 4 years just because I feel it's time. Haven't had a failure on any of them. :banana-wrench:

I did have to replace my 2 yr. old Everstart Maxx in my Tundra last week. It was replaced under warranty. Took 1 1/2 hrs at the Wally World Auto Center to get er done. Anyone who is retired who reads this and is bored everyday, or feels like your life has no purpose, just go down to your local Wal Mart auto center on a Saturday afternoon and watch the customers. You life will have new meaning after that experience.:rolleyes:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 6

Aldon

Thanks for the info on the reverse vs non reversed configuration Mike.

I could make do with the 26, but I do like the orientation of the 26R as it makes for a cleaner wiring look.

I guess I'm into tractor Feng Shui. :ROTF:

• Like 6

squonk

The Group 26 used to have the posts in the center. That way it was universal in installation and you only had to stock the 1 number. Then some brilliant person decided they needed to move the post to the edge and then make a reverse polarity battery to compensate for it. Now you stocked 10 regular 26 batteries and 1 reverse. Then you hoped to sell that 26R battery before it got too old and had to send it back. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

swisstrac
13 hours ago, Aldon said:

It is glorious to get a 50 degree day here in the Adirondacks in mid January!

After a implement run with fast88pu and talking tractors for a bit I managed to get some things done.

I loath the lawn and garden batteries and their sub par quality. I spent a few hours researching car batteries and dimensions and decided to give the 26R a try. Well it's sung but perfect fit in the GT14. Yet another reason I prefer this size tractor. Supposedly good for 5 years. 3 times the cost of the last couple L&G's I bought. So it's a bargain on top of the fact that I should not have as many opportunities to go out to start my tractors and have the battery be failing. Irksome.

Also assembled my parts washer and 1 ton folding crane jack that a snagged yesterday at HF. Looking forward to spring and more of these nice days.

IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0131.JPG

I have the same battery on my gt 14 a recon interstate and seems to be doing the job very well/ have used  recon interstate for many years on used cars approx 90 percent  satisfied/mostly a question of price with that philosophy you have to accept some failure! 

• Like 2

Aldon

It looks like all you GT14 guys are way ahead of me on Battery choice:-)

ztnoo

Mr.T, could you please provide us visually challenged guys the NAPA part number for the battery you snagged?

I assume this is a sealed battery from what I can make out of your shots. ???

I've always just bought whatever I could find at the local auto parts store about a mile away.

3 to 4 years is what I typically get for lifespan.

It never gets below freezing in my garage (attached to house and occasionally I'll run an electric heater or kerosene heater), and I only occasionally put a charger on the battery during the off season, since my GT 14 is a mower tractor only.

My biggest problems with tractor batteries has always been sulfacation.

I would assume my choice of lead/acid battery is the primary cause of this.

• Like 2

squonk
9 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Mr.T, could you please provide us visually challenged guys the NAPA part number for the battery you snagged?

I assume this is a sealed battery from what I can make out of your shots. ???

I've always just bought whatever I could find at the local auto parts store about a mile away.

3 to 4 years is what I typically get for lifespan.

It never gets below freezing in my garage (attached to house and occasionally I'll run an electric heater or kerosene heater), and I only occasionally put a charger on the battery during the off season, since my GT 14 is a mower tractor only.

My biggest problems with tractor batteries has always been sulfacation.

I would assume my choice of lead/acid battery is the primary cause of this.

A std. group 26 is a Napa 6526. Reverse polarity is a 6526R     65 month pro-rated warranty

• Like 3

Aldon

The one I chose is 6526R

the first 2 numbers are the months warranteed and the last 2 are the battery size the R is configuration of terminals as Sqonk highlighted earlier.

The one I chose is middle of the line. Napa sells both a lesser and greater length coverage unit. The Legend battery is 75 month I believe. So it would be 7526R.

yes, sealed battery.

• Like 2

ztnoo

Thanks Mike.......and Aldon.

I'm still a little thick skulled on what the "R" designates.

Does that mean in this case, the positive post/attachment lug is on the Right side of the battery?.......i.e. if there is no "R" part designation, the positive post is always on the left???

Since I have a GT 14 with the same setup as Aldon's, I need to clarify (beat) this into my head.

Steve

• Like 2

pfrederi

Group 26 will NOT fit into the battery trays on Chargers/Raiders etal.  Too wide

26 and 26R terminal placement

battery.JPG

• Like 3

Aldon

Thanks for the visual graphic @pfrederi it's true pics are worth a thousand words! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ztnoo

Thanks Paul.

I believe I finally got the "R" concept pounded into my head.

Aldon.........that's so true.......light bulb.gif

• Like 2

clueless
6 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Thanks Paul.

I believe I finally got the "R" concept pounded into my head.

Aldon.........that's so true.......light bulb.gif

I've always been confused about the battery configuration when it comes to right or left pole, being dyslexic might be the problem. What is considers the front of the battery? I have L&G battery with labels on both sides. When looking at a battery where would the cell refill caps be when you say the front? 

pfrederi

Front is where the terminals are

clueless
6 hours ago, ztnoo said:

34 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Front is where the terminals are

Okay the batteries in my 2004 tundra, and both my santa fe, all have the pos terminal on the right, but when replacing them there was never a R designation, still confused.

clueless

Just looked at the battery in the tundra, it's a Intestate MT24F, I think the MT stands for mega tron, or mega ton,  so my assumption is the F has something to do with the right hand positive post.