Duramax7man7

MId 90's 416-8 how much..

Duramax7man7

Found one online and the owner has had it sitting outside for 2 years and not started for that amount of time as they couldn't get it started. Typical Onan 16hp issues I'm assuming.

Anyway, Paint is all faded. Some rust, tires are tired and seat is trash. Comes with a 48" deck only. It was purchased for the engine but doesn't need it now as he found another one.

They are asking $450... It's been listed for months... Probably longer being that this person is being stubborn about the price. I offered $275 and they passed... What would be a fair offer? Or have I made one already.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Tankman

$450 sounds reasonable. Pic's would help the WHA (Wheel Horse Addicted) pricing the Stallion. :wwp:

• Like 1

cleat

Condition of deck would play in here as well. If in perfect shape (I doubt it is), then it could be worth the asking price alone.

Cleat

• Like 1

Irv

You made a fair offer imo, considering all it needs and being non-running. I'd keep looking unless that model is a must have for you. I have an older (85 or 86) 416-8 with the Kohler in decent shape and running well that I'd sell for what they want.

• Like 5

Duramax7man7

I dont know what the deck condition is underneath or if these are current photos or from 2 years ago... It could look a lot worse by now. The engine hasnt been started in 2 years either. So if it was outside this whole time, who knows what condition it will be in by now. 

Screenshot_2017_01_20_16_47_05.pngScreenshot_2017_01_20_16_47_58.pngScreenshot_2017_01_20_16_47_48.png

ericj

did they say if it ran when they got it or not, like cleat said a nice deck could be worth the asking price. from the pictures I would say the deck probably is not worth that much. you made a fair offer with all things considered. I would go look at it and offer no more then $ 350.00 if the motor doesn't seem to have any major issues. but like said above how bad do you want it. it will definitely need a fair amount of work to bring back to life. I like a challenge like that though and I really like my onans. so I don't mind buying one now and then for parts if needed. it helps keep the other one's running.

eric j  

• Like 2

953 nut

Unless he has had it sitting on the trailer for two years my guess would be those are old pictures and it is deteriorated further by now. You need to bring a set of jumper cables, starter fluid and an open mind and go see it. As it has been outdoors for two years, isn't running, don't know the condition of the transaxle and know it will need a LOT of love I would be hard pressed to offer more than $ 250.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Been watching that sit there for a couple months ...Given the details I agree with 953 nut...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Yeah, exactly. He said it didnt/ doesnt start. So Im guessing one of the common issues. 

He initially said that he bought the tractor for the motor to replace his skid steers motor. But found another and sold the skid steer. So he doesnt use it and its been sitting there. 

I would only consider going to see it and potentially trying to start it if he was a little more receptive on negotiation and more than once a day response at most. Maybe Ill just wait it out. Ha ha

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 3

can whlvr

in my opinion 450 for a non running common garden tractor with few attachments is way over priced,like cleat said it depends on the mower deck,and if the tractor is in that shape you can bet the deck is worse,259 was a very fair price and I wouldn't go over that,if that onan has blown valve seats your in for a lot of money,look for a machine that runs,or if you get a non runner for cheap

• Like 4

BESTDOGEVER

That one has been on C/L for about a year my thoughts are if you can't hear it run and the deck is not perfect it is not worth more than you already offered him. Too many possibilities for things to be wrong. 

• Like 3

Duramax7man7

Yep. I agree with Both...

• Like 1

Gracie's Dad

It seems like everybody has been watching that one for a while. I missed out on 416 this afternoon just down the road from it in Davison...did u get that one?

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

No. I didnt get it. Which one was it?

Pollack Pete

I don't think 450 is a real bad price.How many people here would sell a non-running 416-8 with a deck for that price??

• Like 1

Gracie's Dad

It was only on CL for 45 minutes when I called, and he said he would give me a call if the first guy didn't take it. $100 for a 416h?, with a leak, a deck and at least 2 hubcaps. Guess that's what I get for messing around in the garage.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, Gracie's Dad said:

It was only on CL for 45 minutes when I called, and he said he would give me a call if the first guy didn't take it. $100 for a 416h?, with a leak, a deck and at least 2 hubcaps. Guess that's what I get for messing around in the garage.

Yeah, I figured It would go fast given the price...so, WHO GOT IT? :dunno:

Aldon

I like Pete feel the price is fair and reasonable.

If your able to get one cheaper, great.

I imagine deck if operational at least 150 in value. Regardless of running condition, tires appear good shape.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Who knows when that photo was taken though. it could be all rusted out by now. 2 Years outside... They evidently don't check their emails but once a day if that. So unless you call them. But it seems that there's less room for wriggle room on price if you just fire off a bunch of questions in a 15 minute phone call and then ask for a lower price. At least from my experience. This seller is just not motivated to sell it.

He told me the engine itself is worth the $450. But once again. That to me would be a RUNNING Engine and who knows all that's wrong with it at this point. Just have to wait for a response from him. There's another one on CL for 850 that runs that I could get for that $450. Why would I get this non running neglected one for $50 less. That's not a very astute decision if you ask me. I'm a deal Jager...

• Like 1