Texas Todd

K341 Issues

Texas Todd

Brand new 1976 era K341 16 HP Kohler transplanted into 312-8 last year. Engine ran fine all season. Today I was chopping up leaves and it started to die. Played with carb adjustments and ultimately decided to deep clean the carb. The carb was not NOS, it came from the 312-8. Once I cleaned the carb and set to general specs, 2 turns out on main jet and 1.5-2 turns out on other jet, it fired right up. Back to chopping leaves. After 20-30 minutes it wanted to die again. Kept playing with it and once it died it would't start. It had blown the fuse.  Replaced fuse and chopped leaves for about 20 minutes and the it started dieing again. Once I replaced the fuse each time it would start. I am no expert with carb adjustments mind you. But it seems to me that if it runs for 10 minutes, its not the carb adjustments.

The fuse blowing really has me scratching my head. I added a hand pump to the fuel line, when I cleaned the carb and on several occasions, pumping it would revive the engine...for a bit.

So I guess I have 2 issues, fuel and electrical. Do fuel pumps give up when they get hot?

Not sure how to diagnose or troubleshoot this one. 

• Like 2

can whlvr

look at your fuel cap,make sure its venting,then it kinda sounds like vapour lock,is the fuel line too close some where,the fuse sure sounds like a short somewhere,and usually they are in a confined area so you have to look closely

• Like 3

953 nut

The vent on the gas cap could be the fuel problem @can whlvr types faster than me!

What fuse is blowing?

• Like 2

Texas Todd

Okay. Same fuel cap I have had for years. Its the fuel gauge kind. But will give it a shot. 

roadapples

I`m a parts changer not a mechanic so just guessing here. I think the carb. on a 16 is bigger than a 12. At WOT could it be starving for fuel?  :think:   May be way off, but it sounds good....

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

On the Kohler 8hp down one carb, 10-12hp another and 14-16hp another, that shouldn't matter as it will either increase or decrease power output slightly either way BTW you can get a brand new replacement carb from eBay for $30 as I've done this for dad's CUBs, fuse blowing either a shorted wire or dirty/corroded fuse block just my opinion, Jeff.

• Like 2

obone

Which fuse is blowing? What kind of fuel pump do you have? If it's electric and you are getting vapor lock and the fuse to the fuel pump is blowing?? Just tossing a few ideas.

• Like 1

Texas Todd
On 1/19/2017 at 6:41 PM, 953 nut said:

What fuse is blowing?

Its the main fuse. I ran it again today and it didn't blow for quite a while. Maybe an hour.

I am going to replace all the fuel line as it looks pretty sad and may be sucking air and the pump losing prime, I dunno. But if I replace all of it, I can scratch that off the list. When it would start to beg for fuel I would lean down and give it a couple of pumps on the bulb and it would run for a bit (5-10 minutes) and then do it again. The fuel in the filter was noticeable lower from when I pumped it and then it started begging. I took the fuel cap off the C121 and ran it today, so unless both are bad, I doubt that the culprit. While I have it on the lift I am going to inspect the wiring very closely and see if there are any apparent issues.

The times that I leaned down and pumped but she didn't come back to life, the fuse was blown. New fuse, fire right up, run for a while, pump, run, pump, run, pump, ehhh die.

The pump is mechanical and when I had the carb off I pumped it quite a bit and it seemed fine.

953 nut
1 hour ago, Texas Todd said:

While I have it on the lift I am going to inspect the wiring very closely and see if there are any apparent issues

:text-yeahthat:  If you are blowing the main fuse there is some insulation chafed  somewhere.

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Okay. Thanks!

Texas Todd
On 1/21/2017 at 6:49 PM, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:  If you are blowing the main fuse there is some insulation chafed  somewhere.

Right you were. Found several issues while having it up in the air. The belt was rubbing against the other fuse blocks wires and had rubbed down to the wire, relocated that one and taped it up.  Rodent delecti has been up in there sharpening his teeth as well. Fixed three or four chews and disconnected the clutch disconnect while I was in there. Replaced all the fuel line and since I had it up, decided to replace the leaking axle seals and input shaft seal.

I was delighted with the removal of the hubs (I may never get a chance to say that again!). A little effort, but nothing like the pain the C-160 was.

The axles cleaned up nice.  Will try to put the new seals on tomorrow and then tackle the input shaft seal.

Axle seals1.jpg

Axle seals2.jpg

• Like 2

Texas Todd

Got all of the seals replaced with the help of the guru himself @stevasaurus Apparently I have an oddball transmission, but the regular seals fit just fine. Sure appreciated your help Steve! :greetings-clappingyellow:

It appears the fuel issue was the primer bulb itself. I guess it wasn't getting a good seal. The filter was never staying full with it inline. Removed it and smooth sailing. I bet I don't put a primer bulb in again. Maybe I just got a bad one, I dunno.

But the Sleeper is all fixed up. Now onto the C-121, looks like all four seals may be shot on it......as well as the fuel line.....

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

• Like 4