Joe Sullivan

Wheel Horse won't start

Joe Sullivan

Hello y'all. I'm new here, and figured I'd try it out! Last summer I removed my fuel pump from my wheel horse C-85... (8 Horse Kohler). Only took it off to try on another tractor that was having issues... Went to put it back on this winter to plow my driveway... Well it's back on correctly with the gasket. When I crank it over, it fills the filter about a fifth of the way, not enough to get gas through to the carb... And it doesn't fire. If I squirt some gas into the carb, it will fire up good for about 10-15 seconds until the gas I squirted in is burned up, then stalls. I've replaced the filter, replaced the lines, I guess it sounds like the pump, but I just can't bring myself to believe it though since I've had no issues at all until just now. If anyone has any thoughts, that would be great! Thanks!

can whlvr

r you sure you have the lever on the correct side of the cam,id pull the line out of the pump and crank the engine to see if its really pumping

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:   Try removing the fuel line from the inlet of the fuel pump and lower it until fuel runs out, then connect it to the pump, they are not too good at pumping the air out of a fuel line.

:wwp:

• Like 4

roadapples

:WRS:

KC9KAS

Others have made suggestions with the fuel line to the pump, but I would also disconnect the line on the outlet side to be sure it is pumping fuel. Be sure to aim it away from the points/plug/coil.....I have caught things on fire before!

And, :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

953 nut
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

I have caught things on fire before!

:wwp:         :ychain:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Joe Sullivan  :WRS: Good luck with your tractor sounds like you have some good info to help you out.

Pollack Pete

That's the very reason I don't like taking parts off a runner to try to diagnose a problem on a non-runner.Usually end up with problems on both machines.I hate to " rob Peter to pay Paul".Of course,that's why I have cabinets and boxes of tractor parts.When I need a part,I usually buy in multiples.Works for me.

• Like 2

TDF5G
1 hour ago, Pollack Pete said:

That's the very reason I don't like taking parts off a runner to try to diagnose a problem on a non-runner.Usually end up with problems on both machines.I hate to " rob Peter to pay Paul".Of course,that's why I have cabinets and boxes of tractor parts.When I need a part,I usually buy in multiples.Works for me.

Yep, been there done that.  But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

:(

WHX??

Some must die so others may live TDF?!?!?

Might have just got some gunk in the check valves of the pump or they are not seating..... might want to try and flush that out.

:WRS:

• Like 2

Joe Sullivan

Wow, thank you guys so much!!! I will try to remove the outlet first to see if it is pumping fuel, then I'll go from there... I'm glad I tried out this site, y'all are real nice! I really appreciate the responses, thanks!

And I am sure the lever is on the correct side of the cam, I checked that to be sure, but the pump won't fit in the other way.

• Like 1

Joe Sullivan

Okay, so the pump is functioning properly, when I unhook the outlet line from the carb, gas squirts out when I crank it, but when I hook it back up to the carb, nothing... I tried taking the valve out and blowing through the carb through the hole where the valve goes, and can't blow through it at all, I assume that's why the it won't start...? No gas is getting into the carb, but it's getting to the carb.

• Like 1

Joe Sullivan

I got it!!! Turned out to be a stuck needle valve!!!

• Like 8

oldredrider

Happy you got it figured out. Even happier that you let us know what the problem was.

Great reference for future trouble shooters.

• Like 8

jay bee

:text-yeahthat: and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Joe.  We're glad you tried out this site also!!!  You will find many Happy Helpers here.  Glad you solved the problem.

Jim

• Like 2

Joe Sullivan

Thank you all for your help! If anyone is getting gas to their carb, but not into their carb, you can bet it's a stuck needle valve. Hope that can help other people too!

• Like 5

TDF5G
23 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Thank you all for your help! If anyone is getting gas to their carb, but not into their carb, you can bet it's a stuck needle valve. Hope that can help other people too!

I may be experiencing the exact same thing.  I replaced the carb on my B-100 with one from my C-121 with blown engine, until I get a chance to tear into it.  So I robbed Peter to pay Paul as we mentioned. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This may address the problem of stuck needle valves

Garry

• Like 2